Rihannsu
# 11
08-25-2013, 08:30 PM
I suppose the simplest way to explain my approach is to say that I use whichever boff I'm not using for something else.

So if the tac is talking about an enemy ship on sensors, then someone else does the hail.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 12
08-26-2013, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
Honestly, with the exception of TOS/Ent, it tended to fluctuate to who ever is the most convenient.
Kind of like having calls coming into your office's mainline to ring everyone's phone. It is just a question on who picks it up first. If it is anything like my office...

Beep-beep... Beep-beep...
Picard: Hail....
Picard: Hail.... can someone get that hail....
Data: I did it last episode
Worf: Well I am NOT a secretary
Picard: Just someone answer it!
Geordi: Get the intern to do it.
Wesley: Awww!... Hi- I mean this is Wesley, I mean USS Enterprise, how can I help you?.... Oh, I was too late.
Riker: If it was important, they'll hail again.
Wesley: I think they just hang up when they hear me....
Riker: Wesley!
Wesley: I got the last one!

& Rose Tinted Mirror (Fed 31+)
Career Officer
# 13
08-26-2013, 01:59 AM
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Communications_officer

Quote:
During the 22nd and 23rd centuries, comm officers were often separately held positions on a starship's bridge while the mid-to-late-24th century frequently saw tactical and operations officers doubling as a communications officer.
Commander
# 14
08-26-2013, 11:06 AM
In "The Conscience of the King" Lt O'Neill got promoted from the engine room to comms officer (presumably while Uhura was off shift), and sent back again next day for secret reasons much to his own fury, so evidently it can be an engineer's job too if that's who's available. As for which section Uhura belonged to... I reckon all there ever was to it was that she looked good in red!

I agree, it would be fun to be able to assign specific roles to your BOffs. There's already a thing for that in the DOff system, so far apparently used only to determine whose face appears next to a given assignment, could it be done from that? (There's currently something wrong with that, actually, it keeps changing them around when I'm not looking.)
Survivor of Romulus
# 15
08-26-2013, 12:33 PM
I tend to use the space science officer.... mostly cause we can't select an "ops" officer and it doesn't seem appropriate for Tac or Eng.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Career Officer
# 16
08-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
With Worf for most of TNG in mind, I usually use tactical.
That is what I base it on. I pretty much use tactical, since Worf was in control of hailing in TNG. I'm surprised so many are saying that it doesn't seem appropriate for tactical, when that is pretty much who was responsible in TNG. Before Worf it was Tasha.

I don't remember Data or anyone else ever controlling the hailing frequencies in TNG. I can't remember who controlled it on DS9, was it the person at the helm on the Defiant?

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
# 17
08-27-2013, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisscience View Post
The role would be an operations role for sure, though I'd select someone who is relevant - under a battle situation I'd say tactical and if it is a strange sentient cloud of alien goo floating in space - science.

But after TOS/ENT eras, the Enterprise still received hails. Who answered? (well, relayed to the Captain) From memory, that would be Data in TNG (Operations Officer), Dax in DS9 (Science Officer, though they didn't have an Ops Officer) and Kim in Voyager (Operations Officer).

SO my rule of thumb in assigning roles is if it is to do with shooting it is tactical, if it is anything to do with sensors, thinking, medical etc then it is science and everything else is Ops.

Does anyone else wish we could assign all our offs to specific stations? Th
Quote:
Originally Posted by stultus1980 View Post
I know this is an MMO game, but I don't think the developers should be afraid of a storyline (series of missions) in which each individual Captain plays as if he/she were the only Federation/Klingon/Romulan vessel in the Delta Quadrant.

Perhaps we are on a diplomatic mission transporting one of the original Voyager crew when 'evil' Kes shows us and flings us into the Delta Quadrant as some kind of sadistic revenge.

Whilst there, we have to face a series of missions that entail similar storylines as the VOY crew faced -- making allies and enemies, facing the Borg, gathering resources, following leads for finding ways home...

It would be really cool to see damage from battles leave permanent visual marks on our ship's skin and perhaps even for long-term damage to various ship's systems to be inflicted on our vessel (unless we can find the resources/allies needed to affect repairs).

Maybe we can pick up several passengers along the journey who act as local advisors in much the same way that Neelix did. They can appear in pop up windows to offer information about systems and species.

Pipe dreaming now: - would love to have to deal with systems repairs and red alert emergencies from the ship's interior maps. Red alert lights flashing, go to engineering and fix something before an automated core dump, etc.
e bridge doesn't have 3 officers. You have helm, navigation, operations, science, communications, engineering, tactical, first officer, counselor (wtf Troi?!), "local guide" (get off my damn bridge Neelix!), trainee ("shut up Wesley") and don't forget the sex appeal officer's station right above Janeway.

Occasionally you also have the medical officer storm on the bridge to exclaim emotionally at the captain and insult your first officer before dashing back down to sickbay again. So why can't I select your chief medical officer to storm onto your bridge after an alien force rocks the ship about so he can ask you what the hell you're up to rocking the ship around he's a doctor not an amusement ride tester! Stop saying I don't need to be on the bridge you green blooded Cryptic programmer, I can go where I damn well please! You realise how boring it is in sickbay? We only ever get action when you two come down here and that's usually to sexually harrass my nurses! Don't hypo me again just because I'm ranting, you remember what happened in City on the Edg-

Yeah giving specific stations would be great, sometimes i list a station in mind above the dialogue box just because it feels like there should be one

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisscience View Post
Kind of like having calls coming into your office's mainline to ring everyone's phone. It is just a question on who picks it up first. If it is anything like my office...

Picard: Hail.... can someone get that hail....
Data: I did it last episode
Worf: Well I am NOT a secretary
Picard: Just someone answer it!
Geordi: Get the intern to do it.
Wesley: Awww!... Hi- I mean this is Wesley, I mean USS Enterprise, how can I help you?.... Oh, I was too late.
Riker: If it was important, they'll hail again.
Wesley: I think they just hang up when they hear me....
Riker: Wesley!
Wesley: I got the last one!
LOL

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......