Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 1 Mog Nation Interviews dStahl
08-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Mog Nation recently sat down to talk to Executive Producer Daniel Stahl about STO. Click the link below to read the interview now.

Link to the interview.
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Career Officer
# 2
08-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Quote:
MNG: Everyone has a ?wall of crazy?! What dreams do you have for things like general gameplay, the Foundry, the Gateway system, etc. I understand that this question will not be an outlook on what is to come but what you want to do with this game?

DS: The game needs to focus on the systems and the designs that are already in game and completely flesh them out. Duty Officers, Crafting, Ship and Costume Customization, Exploration, Fleets, Reputation, The Foundry, PvP, Trade, and Bridge Officers are all systems that could use a major amount of effort to make them awesome. Those features are all in game and need a level of support to feel like they haven?t been abandoned.

So as we move into the next year, we are making a commitment to not forget about the features already in the game and to start tackling revamps of these core gameplay elements that could make the game much better if they just had a little more effort put into them.

While that isn?t necessarily the ?wall of crazy? you may have been looking for, it is what the game needs to do in order to improve. STO is a great game and gets better every year. It could be even better if we gave all of these systems the time they deserve to be great.
Now that's what I like to hear! We have quite a bit of things in game that could use some attention. New stuff is always cool, but giving attention to the older stuff to bring it up to speed is cool too.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Captain
# 3
08-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan451 View Post
Now that's what I like to hear! We have quite a bit of things in game that could use some attention. New stuff is always cool, but giving attention to the older stuff to bring it up to speed is cool too.
As a typical me, I'd say giving attention to current 'stuff' by bugfixing is cool. Revamping current systems is much less so, at least if what happened to the STF system is any indication.

But yes, some areas could definitely benefit greatly from a revamp, if done right (crafting, exploration, ...).
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Design that long overdue Tier 5 C-Store Raptor
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
08-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Hey..im a veteran player...1320 days & counting...but got nothing new since 1000 days...thats almost a year now.
Career Officer
# 5
08-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toiva View Post
As a typical me, I'd say giving attention to current 'stuff' by bugfixing is cool. Revamping current systems is much less so, at least if what happened to the STF system is any indication.

But yes, some areas could definitely benefit greatly from a revamp, if done right (crafting, exploration, ...).
Personally I'm hoping that a revamp for certain systems would come with bug fixes. Dan mentioned ship and costume customization in there for example, and I know that right now the tailor is a huge wreck. Lordhavelock has a great thread down in the art section about all the problems it has, and it's quite the long list of them. So my hope would be that any revamp done in that area would fix many (if not all) of those issues. But yeah, I'll never argue with bug fixes lol.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
08-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Incredible shame about diplomacy. I wonder if that's also why we heard mention of Gateway being use in the oft-rumored exploration revamp. As fun as it sounds, I want to play STO in STO, and that includes things like diplomacy and exploration. Turning everything into sliders and radio boxes is crippling the game, turning it into something resembling the Zynga titles where it's mostly about repetitive tasks as opposed to experiencing content.

I am happy, however, to hear that attention is being directed at what's already in the game instead of designing new systems. There is a lot already here, but it was delivered so halfheartedly; expanding on the core will really bring this game up to snuff.
Career Officer
# 7
08-27-2013, 02:40 PM
With Stahl's comments about the Foundry, I love the idea of collaborations. I honestly could see that implemented as part of a future exploration revamp, where two or more players could create a new race and adventures with that race.

And I apologize for offending the Cryptic team, but when it comes to the Foundry, you guys do hype it a lot and totally ignore problems that need addressed. Like the recent long-load times, that been present for three months. And there are the weeks and even months the Foundry is offline after an update.

So it would be great if you guys could help improve the STO Foundry team so they could address these problems right away. Else, it becomes illogical to promote a broken system.

Gateway: I love to see more functionality, but I for one still have problems accessing the Foundry. When I can get it to work with Internet Explorer, it always asks for that 1-time code, so why isn't it remembering it? And for some reason it doesn't work with Google Chrome. So it's annoying having to use multiple browsers just to access the Gateway.

Diplomacy: Easy, make a type of system with consequences. Like when you are in a storyline, you get a choice of action, do you do this or do you that? And at the same time building positive or negative reputation with that race. So in the end when the real decision is made, have you made a friend, they stay neutral, or you made a new enemy?

But nothing like the "Answer the Question" approach we had with First contact missions.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!
Republic Veteran
# 8
08-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Gateway: I love to see more functionality, but I for one still have problems accessing the Foundry. When I can get it to work with Internet Explorer, it always asks for that 1-time code, so why isn't it remembering it? And for some reason it doesn't work with Google Chrome. So it's annoying having to use multiple browsers just to access the Gateway.
I use Chrome and don't have any issues accessing Gateway, except it doesn't seem to want to always remember my PC. My Bank uses something similar, and I have the same problem with them.
Lieutenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegamer View Post
Incredible shame about diplomacy. I wonder if that's also why we heard mention of Gateway being use in the oft-rumored exploration revamp. As fun as it sounds, I want to play STO in STO, and that includes things like diplomacy and exploration. Turning everything into sliders and radio boxes is crippling the game, turning it into something resembling the Zynga titles where it's mostly about repetitive tasks as opposed to experiencing content.

I am happy, however, to hear that attention is being directed at what's already in the game instead of designing new systems. There is a lot already here, but it was delivered so halfheartedly; expanding on the core will really bring this game up to snuff.
This was very disappointing. For Stahl one of the take home messages from the most recent voyager villain poll, should have been that there is a large amount of interest in a delta quadrant game that highlights an exploration revamp, and isn't merely another alien killing field.

Stahl spends a lot of time criticizing Mass Effect and SWOR for providing an illusion which isn't sustainable for STO, but even an illusion of exploration with a grounding in dogfighting is preferable to lip service of exploration with no real intent to rework that system.

Meanwhile as purplegamer notes, revamping the reputation, fleet holdings and doff sliders, which many players feel is representative of this endgame grind to nowhere, is given priority over systems like exploration and foundry, which could potentially redefine a game that already has plenty of decent action content.

Last edited by qultuq; 08-28-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Career Officer
# 10
08-29-2013, 08:31 AM
"DS: STO was designed at its core as a space combat game. It is what the game does best because it is where it all started. The diplomatic strategy game that we all want to play is either going to be a different Star Trek Game or a major future feature you?d see on Gateway. Trying to turn a space combat game into Mass Effect ? Star Trek is not within the scope with the current STO. We get away with some missions where you can choose diplomatic solutions, but it is just not the core emphasis of the way this game has evolved."

I guess then we are going to have to wait for a different Star Trek game, shame as I thought this was supposed to be Star Trek, but it seems it's just a combat sim.