Captain
# 61
08-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugdaddy View Post
Atheists are likely to be confused as to why the aliens even have spiritual or religious beliefs.
Why? I'm an atheist, and I am well aware of a developing society's need to explain the world that they are 'awakening' to, especially before the society understands the nature of evidence. And I'm pretty sure that most skeptic rational secularists are aware of that too. As far as we know, it's a fundamental aspect of intelligent societies.

The fact that someone rejects the claim that at least one god exists has no bearing on them understanding how or why religions work. I'd even go as far as to say they might have a better understanding of it, as they aren't inhibited by religious bias, so they wouldn't automatically think that the aliens are merely blasphemous demons out to suppress their beliefs, for instance.

Helpful Tools: Dictionary.com - Logical fallacies - Random generator - Word generator - Color tool - Extra Credits - List of common English language errors - Big booty tutorial - Also, follow me on Twitter!

Last edited by orangeitis; 08-24-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Captain
# 62
08-27-2013, 10:45 PM
I come to this as a secular Christian who practices as a Methodist and finds evangelists and fundies supremely irritating at best. (At worst they're a danger to the future of the planet.) I've also got a fair amount of experience with other religions: I have Reform Jew cousins, a Wiccan uncle, and one of my best friends in middle school was Baha'i. (I wish more people had that kind of interreligious contact; we might not have as many problems.)

I frankly think the Federation is more believable as a government that is not actively atheist (the heck with what Roddenberry wanted), but rather one that is secular and doesn't give a rat's ass whether you believe in God, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or no higher power at all. I would imagine the only reason the UFP cares that the Bajorans' gods and demons actually exist is because they have strategic implications.

I also like what kirkfat did in "Relics" where a 16th century human is shown that the pre-Copernican scientific orthodoxy of an Earth-centric universe is completely wrong, and comes to the conclusion that the complexity and beauty of the universe proves God exists.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer

Last edited by starswordc; 08-27-2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: this forum apparently doesn't have accent marks
Rihannsu
# 63
08-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
I also like what kirkfat did in "Relics" where a 16th century human is shown that the pre-Copernican scientific orthodoxy of an Earth-centric universe is completely wrong, and comes to the conclusion that the complexity and beauty of the universe proves God exists.
that was so awesome.

It illustrates nicely just how widely varied the points of view really are.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lieutenant
Career Officer
# 65
08-28-2013, 09:37 AM
As long as there is money and power to be gained by religion, it will adapt to first contact.
Commander
# 66
08-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
I did find that scene quite amusing. We try to settle in a guy from the past using a recreation of his time on the holodeck, then shove in blue skinned girl with antenna and take him on a 3D tour of the universe beneath his feet. Surprised he didn't have a heart attack! Kind of like putting an agoraphobic in a small room but then making the walls glass and putting it in the centre of Times Square.

& Rose Tinted Mirror (Fed 31+)