Captain
# 21
08-29-2013, 08:00 PM
no, i didnt miss that....but even a lifetime was only two hundred dollars or so at launch.... and that gets a zen stipend every month.

essentially free to play as quickly as the 200 bucks paid itself off for the people who bought LTS's.....

Last edited by cgta1967; 08-29-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Captain
# 22
08-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopwithsnipe View Post
You do realize from his posts that he's been playing the game long before it was free to play right.
The game launched on Fed 2, 2010. FTP started on Jan 17th, 2012. It didn't even make 2 full years as a Subscription game. I only bring that up because it's not as though this game was around several years before FTP. The whole game is only coming up on 3 years and 7 months of existence.

I bought 6 box sets (including the CE) for the special items, and LTS, and bought every item released to the C-Store pre-FTP. I even purchased an LTS to CO for $200.00 just to get into early Closed Beta and I doubt I've spent more than $1,600.00 on this game - fully realizing that I haven't spent any of my own money on the game since FTP's Dilithum system was introduced.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 23
08-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge4id View Post
The truth does not require you to believe in it for it to be a fact. And as for my stupidity, what makes me "really.....really.....really.....really.....stupi d?" I got money tied up in investments like stocks, bonds, real estate, etc. Who are you to decide what I do with my money be a determining factor in my intelligence level? Most would see it as a waste of money or a foolish endeavor, but STO makes me happy when it's time to start gaming. It's my favorite game, with my favorite friends and family. I could say buying chrome for a Harley, or spoiler's, lo-lo suspension, and extra low profile rims for a car stupid and a waste, but I respect anyone who does do that cause that's what makes them happy.

Sure games don't last forever. I was devastated when Star Wars Galaxies died. I invested a lot into that game! But it had its run and I am happy with the memories I had playing it. Just like I will be happy with the memories I have playing this game. Whether I actually get a ship to myself or not, you still can't accuse me of not being loyal. You'd be really, really, really, stupid if you did!
I felt/feel the same way about City of Heroes, and my anger over it's shut down isn't over it's ending, because all things eventually come to an end and 8 years is a good run, but the sneaky, underhanded, backstabbing way NcSoft handled the shut down.

As to the money you say you spent, wow. But I spent way more than I should have on CoH so I can't judge you on that. I think what makes people gasp is that unlike your examples when a video game goes under we have nothing but memories to show for it, whereas people will always have that car, or Harley, or house, or whatever until they sell it/choose to get rid of it.

But I don't regret any dime I spend on my entertainment.

And if ya ever want to throw away a couple of grand I'll be happy to take it off your hands.
Captain
# 24
08-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
The game launched on Fed 2, 2010. FTP started on Jan 17th, 2012. It didn't even make 2 full years as a Subscription game. I only bring that up because it's not as though this game was around several years before FTP. The whole game is only coming up on 3 years and 7 months of existence.
Yeah but that's like 14 gamer years.

Quote:
I bought 6 box sets (including the CE) for the special items, and LTS, and bought every item released to the C-Store pre-FTP. I even purchased an LTS to CO for $200.00 just to get into early Closed Beta and I doubt I've spent more than $1,600.00 on this game - fully realizing that I haven't spent any of my own money on the game since FTP's Dilithum system was introduced.
I can't conceive spending the kind of money the OP says he did. But I have spent a lot more than I should on games myself.

At least he hasn't "married" an NPC like that guy from Japan did in 2009.
Captain
# 25
08-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgta1967 View Post
no, i didnt miss that....but even a lifetime was only two hundred dollars or so at launch.... and that gets a zen stipend every month.

essentially free to play as quickly as the 200 bucks paid itself off for the people who bought LTS's.....
I look at my LTS as getting paid to play for around two years now. By my math, adding up everything I've gotten because of my LTS I'm a couple hundred bucks in the black.
Career Officer
# 26
08-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Quote:
ive spent over 21K on the game so far, looking at digital recipes from atari, pwe, from the preorder retail boxes, to the RAF promo, life sub, and a respec a day almost. I could have a car but instead I have STO
Wow! just wow! If I had spent 21k on STO, to paraphrase Penny, the only way I could explain it would be in a therapist's office with dolls.

Kudos on you, though! You deserve your own ship. A contract is a contract, but only between Ferengi. No wait, got confused.

Seriously, though, as soon as you have effectuated your deal, I will gladly pay $1,000 to order my custom ship too.
Captain
# 27
08-29-2013, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopwithsnipe View Post
I look at my LTS as getting paid to play for around two years now. By my math, adding up everything I've gotten because of my LTS I'm a couple hundred bucks in the black.
same....and with that stipend I have gained a whole lot of stuff from the zen store without any cost...everything I need for 9 lvl 50 captains, and a few more others stil lvling.

did a LTS in CO at launch too...have nearly everything in the zen store there...and I still have 2500 zen waiting to be spent....it's just adding up at this point over there.

I wont ever buy a key...that is just stupid bad odds via gambling away money IMO.

so my overall expense in both these games is about 5 or 6 hundred at the high estimate Id say since the launch of both of them, and buying the romulan expansion...

and that has given what, 3 or 4 years of satisfied gameplay, and I believe I have quite a lot of perks and gear for that investment.

Last edited by cgta1967; 08-29-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Ensign
# 28
08-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgta1967 View Post
my sincere apologies for my lack of empathy for your investment in the game....

but...

" twenty one thousand dollars " ... in transactions in a free to play game ....

do you realize how that sounds ?

that is not a rational decision IMO.

no offense.... but it really isn't.

ever thought of buying computers for inner city kids? building a safehouse for battered women, or feeding people that can barely afford a loaf of bread a week with all of that "throw away" cash you are wasting?

How do you know I haven't paid for a top notch media center at a local school? Or donate regularly to charities for the poor or abused? And how do you know I don't give the local kitchen soup money so they don't have to buy their own food for the poor?

The truth is, I have donated several high-end dual-core computers with educational games and programs to the middle school I went to when I was young. The school is an "academy of arts" but its really a dump in the center of a large projects. It did teach some art classes and it also taught dance and stage performance (not my thing), my parents sent me there cause they didn't have homework, and I never did it anyways.

I send several checks of undisclosed amounts to charities and organizations, and I also bought over 200 cell phones for a organization that gives them to battered women to use if they need help. Most people just give their old phones for a tax write off. I also send a check of undisclosed amount bi-monthly to help buy food for the kitchen soup that parks in the parking lot of the church i used to go too. My mother still goes there and it was her idea.

Not to brag but my dad is an empire compared to me. Making money, giving money, and spending money, is just a tradition my family has had since the turn of the century. You would think the shocking part of all this is "You give how much away to people that don't repay you!?" But no, that's expected of me! People in my class are expected to share and get overly taxed and ridiculed for every dime we spend on ourselves.

Did it ever occur to you that the really big spenders like me helped make this game go F2P smoothly with all the major time consuming changes the dev's had to make? I know several multi-millionaires that play this game and drop money like it's hot. I am by far not the record holder of money spent on this game. With these kinds of ppl buying zen, you get to have it at a more affordable price.

This is prob my last post. I've been contacted about the ship.
Captain
# 29
08-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Quote:
.... People in my class....

....play this game and drop money like it's hot.....With these kinds of ppl buying zen, you get to have it at a more affordable price
1%'er mentality comes to mind .......

Last edited by cgta1967; 08-29-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Captain
# 30
08-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Quote:
....Did it ever occur to you that the really big spenders like me helped make this game go F2P smoothly with all the major time consuming changes the dev's had to make?.....
and Romney said he was a job creator too .....

Last edited by cgta1967; 08-29-2013 at 09:10 PM.