Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,497
# 11
08-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Did you try turning your computer off and on?

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,382
# 12
08-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbane View Post
Did you try turning your computer off and on?
Yes. /10characters
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,739
# 13
08-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Corporate guy jabbers about new features while the old ones still don't work right. Film at eleven.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,975
# 14
08-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
Compared to our version of the Foundry, Neverwinter's is a huge step forward.
I disagree. Here is why.

While the NW tool is a huge step forward as far as building a map (3d nudger, in particular), there are so many story-telling limitations, like the inability to have popups, the inability to have complete all objectives, the inability to specify different costumes in a branching dialogue, and the inability to put dialog bubbles on a map...

I think our tool is far superior as a story-telling device. Their tool is far superior as a "build something amazing and make it a combat mission." Just think of how our hands would be tied if basically the only way to talk to someone is to walk up to them and interact. If you want to talk to someone next to them, you have to stop and interact with the other person.

Now onto a part of dstahl quote:

Quote:
This has caused use to evaluate and scrutinize the plans we had for the Foundry in STO to ensure we are moving in the right direction.
Translation: We changed our minds about the toolset. Maybe it might be important going forward. Nothing has actually been started.

Last edited by kirksplat; 08-29-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,583
# 15
08-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
I disagree. Here is why.

While the NW tool is a huge step forward as far as building a map (3d nudger, in particular), there are so many story-telling limitations, like the inability to have popups, the inability to have complete all objectives, the inability to specify different costumes in a branching dialogue, and the inability to put dialog bubbles on a map...

I think our tool is far superior as a story-telling device. Their tool is far superior as a "build something amazing and make it a combat mission." Just think of how our hands would be tied if basically the only way to talk to someone is to walk up to them and interact. If you want to talk to someone next to them, you have to stop and interact with the other person.
I think this limitation exist in NWO because the player is alone. He doesn't have a full crew with him, except for a pet nobody really care about.
In STO, you have a full crew, and need to talk to them.
Also, in STO it's easy to say you receive a hail, while in NWO it's a lot more difficult (magical call ?).

In any case, I hope they'll bring some of NWO foundry tool back in STO.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,975
# 16
08-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
I think this limitation exist in NWO because the player is alone. He doesn't have a full crew with him, except for a pet nobody really care about.
In STO, you have a full crew, and need to talk to them.
Also, in STO it's easy to say you receive a hail, while in NWO it's a lot more difficult (magical call ?).

In any case, I hope they'll bring some of NWO foundry tool back in STO.
I get the justifications, although I can't think of a fantasy ip that doesn't involve some type of long range communications via a crystal ball, oracle, etc. Still it's way way too limiting for story-telling. You can't talk to more than one person at a time.

You can't really have a conversation between 3 people, unless I'm missing something. And without the dialogue bubbles, lots and lots of lost tricks as far as branching a mission. All of that makes it an inferior story-telling tool.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,739
# 17
08-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
I get the justifications, although I can't think of a fantasy ip that doesn't involve some type of long range communications via a crystal ball, oracle, etc.
The justification is total BS. Neverwinter is set in the Forgotten Realms, which is a D&D campaign setting, and D&D has had various types of magical long-range communications for years (off the top of my head, the spell sending from 3.5E).
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 844
# 18
08-30-2013, 07:59 AM
For what it's worth, I agree the NW Foundry is inferior for storytelling, which is ironic because it is technically superior in a lot of ways. The lack of pop-up dialogues and other features made it so I had not even the slightest interest in working with NW Foundry. Of course, my interest in creating missions in what is basically a totally generic fantasy world (sorry D&D fans) wasn't all that high to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
What can I say, Cast. No where in the Cryptic corporate mission statement does it say, "We will put equial resources into all of our properties." We're not the favorite child, but we aren't the worst one off. (I'd hate to be a PVPer right now.) It is what it is. The only thing we can control is our own actions and how we deal with it.
I don't think the real issue is Cryptic, it's PWE, although I suppose that may be picking nits. After all the two are more or less synonymous at this point.


Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.

Last edited by nagorak; 08-30-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:15 AM.