Rihannsu
# 41
09-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Good to see a general consensus that the Rep System could do with some tweaking, and for the most part people like my ideas either as is or possibly with their own variants versions. And I'm pretty ok with most of those too.

The one thing that keeps getting brought up, that I just can not get behind, is a full account-wide Rep. Example: Finish Omega Rep on Character Alpha and all your other characters get T5 Omega Rep access at the same time. I do not like this idea.

When we level-up our Captain's Rank we unlock passive powers, access to ships, gear, etc, etc. That is done per character, and is generally accepted as the norm. Leveling in the Rep system similarly offers passives powers, access to gear, new missions, and so on. It should require work to complete for each of your characters.

As described in the OP, some adjustments could be made, but a straight one-and-done? I personally don't think it's fair.

Note that combining the three Reps, I've reached Tier 5 26 times over nine characters (with a 10th alt about a week away from three more T5s, and four more allts slowly chugging along). In ways most people probably don't, I appreciate just how much of a grind the system is.

This isn't a feeling of "Everyone should have to suffer like me.", either. I just think the Rep payoffs are worth the effort required to attain them. Mostly (again, could use some tweaks).

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Career Officer
# 42
09-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhavelock View Post
Good to see a general consensus that the Rep System could do with some tweaking, and for the most part people like my ideas either as is or possibly with their own variants versions. And I'm pretty ok with most of those too.

The one thing that keeps getting brought up, that I just can not get behind, is a full account-wide Rep. Example: Finish Omega Rep on Character Alpha and all your other characters get T5 Omega Rep access at the same time. I do not like this idea.

When we level-up our Captain's Rank we unlock passive powers, access to ships, gear, etc, etc. That is done per character, and is generally accepted as the norm. Leveling in the Rep system similarly offers passives powers, access to gear, new missions, and so on. It should require work to complete for each of your characters.

As described in the OP, some adjustments could be made, but a straight one-and-done? I personally don't think it's fair.

Note that combining the three Reps, I've reached Tier 5 26 times over nine characters (with a 10th alt about a week away from three more T5s, and four more allts slowly chugging along). In ways most people probably don't, I appreciate just how much of a grind the system is.

This isn't a feeling of "Everyone should have to suffer like me.", either. I just think the Rep payoffs are worth the effort required to attain them. Mostly (again, could use some tweaks).

For PvE yeah, I agree. It's all about attaining gear.

The problem is in PvP, Rep systems like we have are a huge obstacle.

They deter newer players from partaking, they create a wide gap in power potential between new & old characters, as well as new vs. established players.

Creating extra hurdles, that are all entirely PvE focused, are extremely frustrating for players that really want to log into the game and just PvP to have fun.

Rihannsu
# 43
09-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
...The problem is in PvP, Rep systems like we have are a huge obstacle...
Is it the fact that it's a time-gated 36 days (ie you can't play harder/more to get done sooner), or that you have to bother using up a fair amount of gameplay time fighting pixels (PvE) instead of other players? Or both? How would you resolve the problem?

And you quoted my thoughts on account-wide unlocking... Are you suggesting if the Rep was one-and-done, you could make all the future PvP alts you want and they'd already be competitive?

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Republic Veteran
# 44
09-04-2013, 05:17 PM
So, I agree that the Rep System is bad. And I do think that opening the tiers to the account BY Faction is the best way to do it. But to get the special abilities that tier gives and the store gear to be bought, have the alts do an assingment to unlock that ability. And this thing can require more resources that the the first character did to open it. It will reduce the grind but still require some effort to unlock the abilities and gear for use. Nothing is free, but it should never feel like a job to get to the end game gear. And the harder you make it to get to, the more likley you will see people search for greener pastures. I have 4 character at max level, and I am trying to rep grind all four. But I don't get to log on every day due to family life. And the rep system I have hated since they have implemented it. I wished they had taking a better route than they did. And I hope they would take a look at this thread and the various suggestions and complaints presented.
Career Officer
# 45
09-04-2013, 05:27 PM
I had seen a couple of these threads complaining about the Rep system and most of them were just "Whaa! I don't wanna do the work for the gear, give me the gear!" But this post was well thought out and has some really good ideas. I'm trying to figure out a way to grind the rep system efficiently on my 14 alts on this account and finally decided on 3 toons at a time, which still doesn't give me much time to enjoy leveling 1 new toon (#15). Sometimes getting the marks for getting 1 toon going can take 1 hour, especially around tiers 4 and 5 and this is a huge pain in the hind, especially with the amount of variation there is in how to get the marks across various Rep systems. After having gotten 3 toons to T5 and than they added Nukara which meant I had to go back and do it again, I just find 1 high mark rewarding mission and do it over and over and over again (as shown in my Master Shopping list), just to get a surplus of marks. This has to end!

EDIT: And don't get me started on lacking expertise, thank you Mirror Hour, but even grinding Mirror for an hour is getting old!
Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again?

Last edited by trhrangerxml; 09-04-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 46
09-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Great suggestions, OP.
Rihannsu
# 47
09-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisteric View Post
So, I agree that the Rep System is bad. ... Nothing is free, but it should never feel like a job to get to the end game gear. And the harder you make it to get to...
For the record, *I* don't think the Rep System is bad. Pretty sure in my first sentence of the OP I even states that I like it, so I'm not sure what you think we're agreeing on.

I mean, yes, it's flawed, but it's not bad.

As for not being a job to get end game gear... Consider it's fairly easy to complete one Rep on one character. 15mins or less worth of play per day for 36 days. That's not really much effort, certainly not what I'd consider a job! Even if you count three Reps, it's still only about 30-40 daily mins or so to get the necessary resources and click a bunch of buttons. And the best part is you don't have to play each day. You can take as much time off as you'd like and it'll be right were you left it.

Is it Grindy? Yeah. I have solutions for that in the OP.
Does it involve Mindless Clicking? Yeah. Again, OP has solutions.

The Rep system only really starts to become problematic when you consider running it on multiple characters, but then, I have suggested solutions for that too.

You might argue the Time Gating factor sucks, I'm likely to agree there. Especially if you take a day off from the game, then you basically stretch completion out another day, with no way to "make up for it." I'm considering adding that as a Fourth thing to Fix in my OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhrangerxml View Post
I had seen a couple of these threads complaining about the Rep system and most of them were just "Whaa! I don't wanna do the work for the gear, give me the gear!" But this post was well thought out and has some really good ideas. I'm trying to figure out a way to grind the rep system efficiently on my 14 alts on this account and finally decided on 3 toons at a time...
Thanks for the compliments. I'm feeling the same. I've been doing my 14 Alts about 3 at a time too... I'm almost done. Two more finish up all their Reps in the next couple days - Yay! - I'm likely to take a break for a while. The last three alts I have that haven't done any (much) Rep just aren't played enough to warrant the effort, so I may not even bother with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegamer View Post
Great suggestions, OP.
Thanks!

Starfleet Veteran
# 48
09-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Just make reputation account bound and have it over with
Career Officer
# 49
09-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by axellightning View Post
Good lord, do you people even listen? The Devs have stated that they will never make the Reputation system account bound. Accept it and move on. The sooner you do the sooner they'll actually listen to you. Havelock's suggestions, even if I don't really agree with all of them or have ideas of my own I'd prefer are good, solid and acknowledges that the Devs will not make the reputations account bound.
Rihannsu
# 50
09-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canis36 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by axellightning View Post
Good lord, do you people even listen? The Devs have stated that they will never make the Reputation system account bound. Accept it and move on. The sooner you do the sooner they'll actually listen to you. Havelock's suggestions, even if I don't really agree with all of them or have ideas of my own I'd prefer are good, solid and acknowledges that the Devs will not make the reputations account bound.
I took Axelightning's post as a jest. Sort of saying something just to rouse the crowd. But as you say Canis36, it wouldn't happen either way, so we have to try to come up with something else. Thanks for the kind words, BTW.