Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Captain
# 21
09-04-2013, 05:36 PM
You should pvp because you have missions saying to do arena, capture and hold and warzones and shying away from content just because other players can shoot at you is silly. Its an mmo its supposed to be players doing that. I don't see what else there is to keep you occupied in sto after doing all the missions and rep system either.
Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
Captain
# 22
09-04-2013, 10:12 PM
I can't tell you why you should. Maybe you shouldn't. If. you have self-esteem issues or the inability to laugh at yourself, then you should not PvP.

If however, you can laugh at yourself, and you aren't prone to anger when you've been beaten, then there's a whole lot of action packed fun, with genuine heroic moments just waiting for you to be a part.

You'll likely die a lot. At times it may seem to be a hopeless cause. Tough it out. Never quit. Respawn, go full impulse, and try again. That's how we learn.

Eventually, you may not die less, but you'll start taking people with you.
Commander
# 23
09-05-2013, 04:47 AM
PVP is the only thing that holds you engaged to this game at the end. If you're very fan of the Star Trek saga and you need to force yourself to keep playing this game, you'll end pvpeing eventually. Hilbert's guide and dontdrunkimshot's complitation thread are more than enough to build yourself a competent pvp machine and having fun with it. Next step is joining a friendly fleet with teamspeak and doing pvp toghether.

Nothing else is required, except for what is actually Cryptic's job, which is turning pvp into something a little more remarkable and usefull, maybe for the Season 15.
Commander
# 24
09-05-2013, 08:16 AM
To me, it's like this, high-end PvE is basically about getting better and more and more efficient at doing a set task with a number of well-defined steps. There's certainty a fun aspect to that, and it can go wrong, and it can be a challenge.

But PvP is different: in PvP there is no set task (apart from kill people ), every fight is fresh, every fight is a challenge where you have to keep your wits about you, and instead of skill approaching an asymptote, skill ceiling in PvP is limitless, because human intelligence is far more tricksy than AI (at least at present, given AI that isn't set to "IWIN").

Basically, with PvE you can get into a pleasant trance state, as you can with anything that's repetitive. And that's nice sometimes, but it can get dull all the time.

But with PvP you have to stay awake and alert all the time. Which is nice in another way, but can also get boring sometimes.

I used to be scared of PvP in MMOs, but gradually over the years I've gotten accustomed to it. The first hurdle is the adrenalin jag, but after a week or two PvP-ing, that will diminish to a level where you aren't just flapping about, shaking like a leaf and mashing buttons in confusion, you will eventually start to be able to keep cool and analyze, and counter; and eventually, anticipate and strike first.

And that's what it's all about (plus also having deep knowledge of all the classes in a game, how they play from the "inside", etc., which, again, only comes with time).

Last edited by gurugeorge; 09-05-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Captain
# 25
09-05-2013, 08:18 AM
No one can tell you why you should or shouldn't PvP. You gotta try it out and decide for yourself, because this is your fun we're talking about . PvP requires you do a lot of research, testing different stuff and observation. Ask yourself if that's your cup of tea.

STO is the best game ever and the players love it.
Captain
# 26
09-05-2013, 08:39 AM
To answer you, OP, I cant tell you why you should. PvP is in the blood of the PvPer. If youre down to get down with other players and not just AI, then you should PvP.

Otherwise, dont. Especially if you have a problem with "losing" or "dying"

Dont let anyone tell you different, we all die, a lot. It is the nature of the beast.

Everything is OP, plz nerf
Fleet Admiral Rylana - U.S.S. DNT Omega X
=== Vice Squad/House of Tlhap-Jen ===
Career Officer
# 27
09-14-2013, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurugeorge View Post
I used to be scared of PvP in MMOs, but gradually over the years I've gotten accustomed to it. The first hurdle is the adrenalin jag, but after a week or two PvP-ing, that will diminish to a level where you aren't just flapping about, shaking like a leaf and mashing buttons in confusion, you will eventually start to be able to keep cool and analyze, and counter; and eventually, anticipate and strike first.

Gurugeorge's entire post was great, but this particular bit I found to be the most important.

The first few times PvPing can be so overwhelming that you literally stare at the screen drop-jawed as things start coming at you and your health starts to drop. Give it some time and that raging inferno of stimulation you feel settles down into a warm glow that heightens your senses and helps you out. Just need to develop the ability to control your own adrenaline. It can still happen sometimes (Hell, that's most of the fun! ) but now it usually happens in Kerrat when I've rushed in to help somebody who is getting gangbanged and then notice I'm about to jump in a fight against 3-4 opponents that I know I can't even beat 1v1...

But... I make the most of it! I get right in there, and try to tick them all off. If I can get 2-3 on me, it is just another opportunity for me to learn how to live with strong opponents on my tail... and its working! I'm getting to where I can take the heat of 3-4 people trying like mad to kill me! Who knew! I still can't hurt them yet... Baby steps!

PvPers are just like everybody else, really. A handful of loudmouths that make enough noise to be the only ones you notice, and then a bunch of cool people that enjoy the same game you do. Sure, outside of the true jerks there is some friendly trash talk, but that is what it is. Fun. Most PvPers seem to respect each other immensely, especially in this game. I suppose that would be due to the low number of PvPers around here.

Anyway, I'm a new PvPer myself. I never thought I would get into STO PvP. Then... Romulans... Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for all of you... But I don't find Romulans thematically appealing. For me this means I haven't seen much in the way of content that holds my interest. PvP to the rescue! I'm having a blast and getting into it far more then I ever thought I would. Even bought a fancy ship for it (tho I kinda want to go back to my FAE... I loved that girl...)

Got to remember its only a game, and that today is definitely a good day to die!
I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!

Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
Captain
# 28
09-14-2013, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdragon View Post
I just know I'm going to get raged at , called a troll, coward, etc.

But I all ways found PvPer's to be spiteful and bratty. All ways having to win no matter what the cost, childish taunting, teasing, ganging up on weaker players, etc.

Always put's me off, no matter the game. I know it's just a game, but so many don't see this and even cheat to get that all important win. The hell with feeling's that the other player is feeling.

K, rage away. =3
I'm afraid i have to agree with you.

I don't want to discourage the thread starter, i'm just telling from my experience.

PvP brings up the worst of some people, which then completely ruin the (little) fun i could have in PvP.
They sneak upon you, try to knock you down and kick you to death if they can. (they especially love to do that in superior numbers, which is more "honorful")

As playhard88 said, PvP is a team game, but i am not a team player TBH.
I have no fun in playing in a team at all. Playing in a team is just stressful and a pain IMO.
Other than that you have to min/max everything, which i just find silly.

The only real reason i would do PvP is, as many others have probably said because it is the only real challenge in STO, but the above reasons just kill it for me.
I do Ker'rat once in a while, but i am always glad when the 3 runs are over and i can just leave that miserable place behind me.

EDIT:
If you find that PvP is not your cup of tea and to prevent getting a gastric ulcer, then you can still find other goals to archive, like getting incredibly rich, build a Starbase on your own or convince the devs to rework your favourite Star Trek ship. Just to name a few.
"...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--"
- Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

Last edited by yreodred; 09-14-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Captain
# 29
09-14-2013, 06:32 AM
It has it is good sides and bad. But in the end PvE is all about repetition. Do the exact same thing over and again. PvP is always changing and requires you to constantly rethink your choice. The meta game of customizing your build, boffs, gear, skills is at the heart of it.
Captain
# 30
09-14-2013, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegie0 View Post
Now as for the PvPers reputation, we are a bit on the arrogant side. But then again, the bottom 1% of PvPers, is better then the top 1% of PvErs that have not PvPed.
This is why I have disdain for some PvPers. I dunno if I'm in the top 1% of PvEers but way back when I was flying my defiant and just on my first try of PvP I was taking on unkillable bugships in kerrat 1 on 1. I couldn't win but I forced a stalemate. Then they went back to pwning 5 ships at a time while I killed the borg.

Just because you PvP it does not make you more skilled at the game than PvE players.

My advise to the OP is try it out in the OPvP channel and/or tyler durden channel and see if you like it. STO has a lot to offer not just in combat, there are very social fleets, doffing, playing the economy and a whole lot of other things including the foundry and role playing if you're into that.

As I say, try it and find the balance you like whether that be PvP most of the time, all the time or just every now and then when you can stand the egos.
------
It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
This is the last thing I will post.