Career Officer
# 1 Exploration improvements?
09-06-2013, 05:11 AM
Please tell me that an update for this kind of thing is on the way to vastly improve explorations for Fed players because it's really bad old stuff in there like ships that just appear out of nowhere, almost no aid the planets, or just scan computer consoles constantly.

I'm hoping we'll see more of what we saw with the romulan missions where we were scanning things on new Romulus (science), Disarming explosives in a station (Tactical), or fixing items in a ship or station (engineer).
I would like for the devs to open a poll/feedback thread on what exactly the players would like to see in the near future for the game.
Rihannsu
# 2
09-06-2013, 06:00 AM
Last I checked Aid the planet sucked because you didn't get Level-appropriate items for it... I'd rther scan 5 consoles than give away a few thousand ec worth of commods for nothing.

My fave mission script is the one for scanning 5 anomalies. The actual mission is to collect data samples! ^_^ Love it!

Most of them are a bit boring, but I do like the Decalithium prospecting script since you get to fight off claim-jumpers.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
09-06-2013, 07:08 AM
I'd love to see a revamp of the exploration system. Would go something like this in my mind.

You get orders from Starfleet Command to investigate sector blah blah blah as part of a survey. You warp to this sector of space where you have to send out probes or scan nearby systems for signs of life or technology. If you get a positive hit you would get a mission giving screen pop up, here's where it could get interesting. Either Cryptic provide a set of missions for us to do, or we could create a new Foundry category like the spotlight missions. They would have set parameters in terms of length and content. With a system like this we could in theory have unlimited missions to do as long as the community has the appetite to make them.
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Terrell-STO.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
Rihannsu
# 4
09-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Either Cryptic provide a set of missions for us to do,
have you played the existing exploration missions?
Quote:
or we could create a new Foundry category like the spotlight missions.
that would be so much fun.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 5
09-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Quote:
have you played the existing exploration missions?
Those current exploration missions are boring..and they should put canon races to explore so we can learn more about them and not some generated aliens.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
09-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Yes, I have played through the current exploration missions and they're damned awful. I don't even bother with them. Which is a shame, since when I started playing STO three years ago I wanted to explore and was disappointed when I realised it was just a case of flying to the asteroid run around the maze of corridors looking for computer consoles. Doesn't stop Cryptic making a few NEW missions themselves to start the system off and then accept new player submitted missions every week or so. Hell maybe they should introduce the much hoped for crafting revamp into this system, some of the rewards could be used to craft new items for your ships or crew.
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Terrell-STO.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
Captain
# 7
09-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Last I checked Aid the planet sucked because you didn't get Level-appropriate items for it... I'd rther scan 5 consoles than give away a few thousand ec worth of commods for nothing.

My fave mission script is the one for scanning 5 anomalies. The actual mission is to collect data samples! ^_^ Love it!

Most of them are a bit boring, but I do like the Decalithium prospecting script since you get to fight off claim-jumpers.
I agree. My thought is that the mission should have three dialoge options:

1. Not right now, we'll get back to you on it. (wait to come back to the mission)
2. We'll get our industrial replicators to work on it. (Basic mission complete)
3. We have a full supply prepare for transport (Mission complete, commodites given for dilithium bonus)
Captain
# 8
09-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1tigglet View Post
Please tell me that an update for this kind of thing is on the way to vastly improve explorations for Fed players because it's really bad old stuff in there like ships that just appear out of nowhere, almost no aid the planets, or just scan computer consoles constantly.

I'm hoping we'll see more of what we saw with the romulan missions where we were scanning things on new Romulus (science), Disarming explosives in a station (Tactical), or fixing items in a ship or station (engineer).
I have the impression exploration is not on their "important" list, rather they where doing it when there's nothing more important for them to do.

Here's a LINK to the Upcoming content List on the STO Wiki
You'll find exploration revamp at the Undetermined Release section.

Like you i wish it had a much higher priority.
But stuff that sells is more important (to them) than classical Star Trek themes.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-

The "TT and/or AtB less builds" - Thread
Captain
# 9
09-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Last I checked Aid the planet sucked
Because there's nothing to it. It's just ridiculous as an exploration mission.

"Hi people we've never met before."

"Hi. We need stuff. Do you have any stuff."

"Yeah. Here, have some stuff."

"Thanks. Bye."
Captain
# 10
09-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxbad View Post
Because there's nothing to it. It's just ridiculous as an exploration mission.

"Hi people we've never met before."

"Hi. We need stuff. Do you have any stuff."

"Yeah. Here, have some stuff."

"Thanks. Bye."
Lol, really creative.
That's the best Cryptic came up with for a Exploration mission.

Do you really want more of that?

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-

The "TT and/or AtB less builds" - Thread