Career Officer
# 11
07-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Time for an update on the mission situation. After spending the last few days looking for a solution to my problem, checking and rechecking the mission, asking on the forums, checking old posts and even posting an error ticket I think I may have resolved it.

For some reason I had unfinished task messages that linked back to the grant mission dialogue, which was complete and regardless of what I did to it I couldn't get rid of the unfinished task messages. After checking over the story again and again for anything left unfinished and checking through each group of dialogues in the story I did a check through the dialogue tab. Near the bottom I found 2 unnamed dialogue entries, both of which were apparently located within the grant mission object (didn't even know that was possible.) which would explain why no matter how many times I checked my story/mission I couldn't find a problem.

After deleting these the unfinished task messages have disappeared and I am now in the process of test playing to ensure there aren't any more errors that have crept into the mission. With any luck I will be publishing this weekend, or Monday by the latest.

Keep checking back for part 3 of the Deianeira series snoitcelfeR.

Thank you very much for your patience and continued support,

-XA
Check out my Foundry Missions: Click Here!
Career Officer
# 12
07-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Part three in the Deianeira series, snoitcelfeR has been published and is available to play!

Having solved the issues that were preventing me from publishing the mission I have tested and done what polishing I can and released it. Thank you for your patience, I hope that you enjoy this mission and are looking forward to the conclusion of the series.

The next mission I will be releasing is part three, the conclusion to the Ambria's Pride series, titled Ambria's Last Stand. As work has not yet begun on this mission I cannot really give an estimated time for publishing, but I will try and complete it as quickly as I can without sacrificing quality.

After Ambria's Last Stand I will be completing the Deianeira series with a mission entitled Memento Mori. Check the main mission posts for a little teaser image.

Thank you,

-XA
Career Officer
# 13
07-30-2013, 10:19 PM
Update time.

I haven't done much work on my upcoming missions lately as I haven't had all that much time to do so. Also, I've been told by a number of people about a bug that seems to crop up in The Importance of Being Q, but seemingly intermittently.

I've checked and play tested the mission and have been able to complete it without any issues and it seems that others have as well, but some people have reported that during a particular part of the mission BOffs and enemy groups get stuck in the ceiling. There is nothing I can do about this. I have never had it occur during a play through and short of changing/redesigning that particular map it is a bug that I have absolutely no control over.

At some point I will probably end up going back and picking another map for it (though the options are rather limited) but I just don't have the time or the energy at the moment. If you encounter this bug I'm afraid all you can do at the moment is drop the mission and try it again and hope that you get lucky and don't experience this bug twice. I can only apologize, but when Cryptic's maps are bugged like that there is nothing I can do to help it other than avoiding the use of that map. And as I said, I won't be doing that in the immediate future.

In all honesty, I am having trouble continuing with my Foundry work, since the Foundry seems to experience more and more bugs every time the game is patched and it's quite frustrating, also the amount of content that is added to the Foundry is a bit of a joke. I hope that this changes in the near future, but I won't be holding my breath.

I promise I will, at the very least, finish the Ambria's Pride and Deianeira storylines, but at the moment, unless either the Foundry improves, I get a mass of free time or my mood just improves exponentially I may be putting my future Foundry projects on hold for a little bit.

Any of those things could possibly happen, so we'll see. This is by no means me saying that I'm pulling the plug, but I am putting it on the back burner for the time being. One of the advantages of this is that it will give me time to think of and write more and better mission ideas, so there's that.

Again, I want to say a huge thank you to everyone that has played and reviewed my missions. A special thank you to all the generous tippers out there as I have exceeded 32,000 in tips, and I hope you continue to play and enjoy my work. I'll try to keep it going.

-XA

P.S. I did get a comment about wanting to see more of Amy Kepler in missions and I have been thinking about it. I think it could be an interesting choice and if anyone else would be interested in seeing more of her, please let me know, as it will make my decision that much easier.
Career Officer
# 14
08-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Okay, so I lied. I've temporarily withdrawn The Importance of Being Q while I rebuild part of the Borg map. After a few more play throughs I got the Borg flying into the ceiling bug and it's annoying...also there were a couple of other bugs I want to fix that I'd never seen before. So, I'm doing that. It won't be quick, but I'll do it as quickly as I can.

It also appears that Cryptic have removed the Dominion Ensigns group from the Foundry. At least that's what the error message said and when I checked, there were no Dominion Ensigns in the NPC Groups tab...no idea why they've done that, but whatever, I've given up questioning Cryptic's strange decisions...

I'll try and get The Importance of Being Q back up as quickly as I can, but I'm still short on time and patience and the Borg maps seem to be particularly bad for building on and using in general...so 90% of my time will be spent trying to find the correct values on the Y axis...if it weren't for that I could probably build a new map pretty quickly. Hopefully Cryptic/PWE will eventually give someone the job of actually working on/improving the Foundry (maybe the janitor is free?) and building decent maps will go from taking weeks/months to only taking hours/days. But probably not in my lifetime...or Q's for that matter.

But clearly...a Romulan Temporal vessel, that's far more important...Anyway, enough bashing Cyrptic/PWE, it's mainly just frustration, but overall they are doing a fantastic job with the game, I'd just like a little bit less attention paid on lockboxes and pay to win loot and more time spent on content and improvements to the Foundry and its assets. Maybe the upcoming Season 8 will herald a new frontier for STO...or maybe it won't. We'll see.

Anyway, I'll stop complaining and get it done asap and then maybe take a little break before completing Ambria's Pride and Deianeira.

I'll keep you posted.

-XA
Career Officer
# 15
08-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Of course when I was just getting around to continuing/completing the voyages of two of the crews in my Foundry missions my computer decided it was it's time to go off to the big desktop in the sky (I may have fried the CPU...). So basically I'm out of action until I can get it fixed.

If I'm lucky this will simply mean buying a new CPU (if they still make the one I was using) and probably a bigger, better fan to cool it. If I'm not lucky...it could mean a little more expense. I'll have to wait and see. Either way, I can't access the Foundry and I can't work on any missions. Also, at the moment I'm having to learn to use Linux (more difficult than learning to read Klingon) which is making even simple tasks three times more difficult.

I'll continue posting with updates about the situation and, who knows, maybe some time away will inspire me or at least keep me from burning out on the Foundry completely. Maybe they'll even introduce an update that helps with stability and overall ease of use (yeah...right). Hopefully I'll be able to access the Foundy again soon.

Keep checking back and thank you, as always, for your continued patience.

-XA
Career Officer
# 16
09-08-2013, 04:50 PM
*Update* - Sunday, September 8, 2013

Hello all,

I've been away from the Foundry and STO as a whole for a while because of some computer problems and the encroachment of reality (a constant bother). But, I have returned, at least I think so...I've been out of it for a little while and have quite a task ahead of me, mainly the repair of The Importance of Being Q followed by the completion of the Ambria's Pride and Deianeira stories.

I have plans for both and one of them was in production when my computer decided it had had enough, so hopefully I will be able to get back to work on them relatively quickly and finish them. One small problem with that seems to be a drop in both my energy levels and creativity. I'm not sure why (possibly a problem with some faulty EPS relays) but it has been hampering any progress.

I have recently been asked about my missions and been told by someone that they are playing them, so that is encouraging and should help jump start me again, so you can look forward to more from me (if you enjoy my missions that is, otherwise this may come as quite bad news).

Once Ambria's Pride and Deianeira are complete I will be looking at where to go next. I do have a few ideas, but I may end up putting it to some kind of vote on here, since my biggest thing as a Foundry author is giving players something they will enjoy and really get into, and I've found it always helps when you had some hand in it (though chances are if I do give options they will all eventually be realized...I'm kind of like that, can never leave well enough alone).

With that said, if you do have any comments or suggestions about things you would like to see in my missions then please, share them here. I love to hear from people who have played my missions, whether they enjoyed them or not. Criticism helps me improve and praise is just a nice thing to get.

So, please continue to play and enjoy my missions, tell your friends, tell your enemies, just tell everyone. I hope I can continue to produce content that will be enjoyed.

Thank you,

-XA
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
09-08-2013, 05:22 PM
I haven't got much to say, but welcome back! Good to hear you able to work on your missions again!
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message (and inb4exploit!) ^^
Career Officer
# 18
09-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutes View Post
I haven't got much to say, but welcome back! Good to hear you able to work on your missions again!
Thank you very much! It's good to be able to be back on STO and in the Foundry, though I have to admit I didn't miss some of the bugs that crop up...I can't wait to get some work done in the Foundry.
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
09-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Just so you know, I've never known the necro thread rule to apply to Foundry mission threads. Just like how we're allowed to post images in this section, but nowhere else.

@greendragoon
Career Officer
# 20
09-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Good news! I have completed the rebuild on the second Borg map of The Importance of Being Q and published it. I didn't have any problems during testing, but I didn't the first time either, so it's really no indication of whether it will be playable or not.

If you had previously tried the mission and were unable to complete it then please give it another go. Hopefully you shouldn't encounter any issues this time.

I am now moving on to complete part 3 of the Ambria's Pride series Ambria's Last Stand. I am hoping to complete it soon (within the next week or so if I can find the time...or just don't sleep) so that I can move onto part 4 of the Deianeira series, Memento Mori.

On another topic, I have had some comments on my missions regarding the timeline. Usually along the lines of "ITS 2409 BUT THE MISSION SAID 2413!!!!". I generally don't pay these comments much attention because there would be no point. If you can't accept that my missions don't adhere to the STO static timeline then...well, I don't know how to end that sentence because I don't care that much. I've said my missions do not and will not be restricted to 2409 (since it makes little sense and if that really is true in the main game then 2409 has been a pretty busy year...also the Captain's Log gives stardates that would suggest that game time has been progressing, just go and check if you don't believe me) and I have given a small timeline for them, that helps to demonstrate when each mission takes place and how they are set relative to one another. I will update this soon to accommodate Ambria's Pride and Deianeira. So there you go. Thank you to the vast majority of people (everyone but about 2 people I believe) who either didn't care or just accepted it. I know I shouldn't bother addressing this over two people, but it's more for me and for future reference.

I think that's about it for now...I really just wanted to let people know that The Importance of Being Q was back up and that I am actually active again. Also, a quick thank you to greendragoon, I was fairly certain I could use the older threads, but I just wanted to play it safe...also there were issues with the forum changeover when PWE took over (with the first thread anyway) and formatting issues with some of the posts on the second thread that meant I couldn't move or edit them as easily. This thread however will most likely be permanent. I still plan to post as often as possible and at least once every 20 days or so, just in case.

Okay...that's it!

Thanks to everyone who checks in every once in a while and who play my missions. I appreciate it very much.

-XA