Captain
DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD. IT IS DEAD, AND YOU WILL ONLY BE NECROING IT, WHICH VIOLATES PWE'S RULES.

(from the original necroed and locked thread here)

You want to expand non-combat gameplay in a major MMO like STO, Cryptic? Best tip I can give you: Don't assume that non-combat gameplay can never be a player's main focus to get through the game.

You want a way to better represent the roles of researcher, explorer, diplomat, etc? First thing you must look at is game progression via those methods. As it is now, the only option most players have of 'getting through the game' is combat. Hell, you have to fight your way through 11 levels just to get your redshirts! This must change.

Take diplomacy for example. Yes, it's officially a 'commendation rank', but instead of defining it as a 'sub-level' to the game's progression system, place it beside normal levels. Overhaul the diplomacy missions to give respectable amounts of exp. Give us story-based missions that reward us with even more diplomacy exp and diplomacy-related items. Redo the whole diplomacy exp scale if you need to, and add more 'levels'(maybe to match rank levels, that is, 1-50) Or perhaps add diplomacy ranks for each species/faction. And most importantly, add in end-game and non-end-game queues and reputations for ambassadors. Give them starship-based and ground-based equipment suitable for increasing their diplomatic skills. What could we possibly have as rewards in this type of system, you ask? Well the first thing that comes to mind are more unique crew members. Instead of a once-off enemy faction BOFF, give us a rep store to 'purchase' more from the races our diplomats made it good with so far, and even provide a way for our friends and fleet mates to obtain BOFFs of them.

Other rewards for diplomacy could be access to new facilities, or even - get this - adding a new species into your faction(Fed or Empire). That may mean that you as a player would need to design your own minor species and their cultures and home planet location. But that shouldn't be too out-of-the-ballpark. Champions Online lets you create nemeses for your hero, right? This system could be similar. Except in this case, there could be special queues for your faction where your new race appears, where their appearance would either be random or predetermined if you're the one creating the queue.

As for research, same basic idea here. Give player characters an advancement system that ranks up just like the existing one. Best thing on professions directly connected to your faction's functions like combat, research, etc though would be to keep actual ranks such as Subcommander or Ensign. For a researcher, stats once only useful in battle could be given more functionality here. For instance, let the Sensor Scan ability effect actual things you can scan. For scannable areas and 'nodes', implement values that the characters' Sensors skill would need to be greater than to even detect them. Make scannable areas produce more samples and rare particles at higher values. Give a ship's Shield Performance skill the ability to render your ship invulnerable to certain otherwise dangerous nebula gasses so your ship could explore places normally unexplorable to ships with standard shields. And finally, I suggest exclusive research-related skills to be used on some particles that are unable to be collected otherwise.

Next is the medical field. Revamping the kit system any time soon? Make a kit for Science(Medic?) career characters that enables them to heal injuries without consuming regenerators(the same could be done for engineers and ship damage). Give us missions that provide planet-wide medical emergencies like deadly disease outbreaks where our medical personnel has to actually go down to the planet in EV suits to aid them. And my next suggestion, Cryptic devs, is probably a nice one to keep in mind even if you aren't considering the rest of my suggestions. Update the 'Crew' gauge system. Make the crew levels more useful so bigger, more manned ships can have another thing going for them. Make the Thalaron Pulse do crew damage instead of(or in addition to) hull damage(hey, it would be canonically accurate them). And what would this have to do with Medics? Well since the crew gauge would be more important if you take these suggestions, a BOFF ability might need to be added to restore it. That would be right up a medical officer's alley.

The best thing though would be to give other roles just as much importance as combat roles. Try not to let your combat system suffer though because of it. You'll lose many loyal players if you do.

These suggestions are just off the top of my head. I could give far more if given the time. Anyone else wanna brainstorm with meh?

My older suggestion threads (dead threads; do not post in them!)
Orangie's Suggestions - Celestial & Envoy Saucer Separation
Orangie's Suggestions - Cardassian Faction
Orangie's Suggestions - Klingon Blood Color
Orangie's Suggestions - Mission Pod Slot

Helpful Tools: Dictionary.com - Logical fallacies - Random generator - Word generator - Color tool - Extra Credits - List of common English language errors - Big booty tutorial - Also, follow me on Twitter!

Last edited by orangeitis; 02-14-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Captain
# 2
09-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Hear, hear!

A "trek" is a journey, not a "war", but since "Star Wars" is already taken, I guess they figured, stick with "Star Trek". Except DS9, I don't think any of the other ST series were so focused on war. Battles occasionally, yes, but outright war, no. Brains/computers tended to be used far more often than muscle/weapons. Why not have two kinds of "Star Trek Online": one for the gotta-fight-gotta-fight-gotta-fight types, and one for the want-to-explore-and-learn types? I know, not realistic, but I can dream, can't I?
Captain
# 3
09-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipclayberg View Post
Why not have two kinds of "Star Trek Online": one for the gotta-fight-gotta-fight-gotta-fight types, and one for the want-to-explore-and-learn types? I know, not realistic, but I can dream, can't I?
As long as it's in the same persistent world and we can interact with each other, I'd be all for it.

Helpful Tools: Dictionary.com - Logical fallacies - Random generator - Word generator - Color tool - Extra Credits - List of common English language errors - Big booty tutorial - Also, follow me on Twitter!
Rihannsu
# 4
09-09-2013, 05:08 PM
One idea I like is to be able to revisit the randomly generated worlds that you find in exploration clusters. Some of them are really weird looking and it'd be nice to be able to share them with others.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 5
09-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeitis View Post
As long as it's in the same persistent world and we can interact with each other, I'd be all for it.
Agreed.

Btw, I certainly wouldn't want STO to turn into another Myst/Riven game (great graphics, but plot didn't measure up to them, and the puzzles were too hard for me (and I'm a jigsaw/crossword puzzle junkie)). But some STO players (like me) aren't just in it for the fighting or the making lots of ECs on the Exchange. Some of us actually like the stories -- whether in the episodes or on the Foundry or in Ten Forward on this website --, the character interactions, the chance to explore and learn. I know that that's probably looked down on as being dull and uninteresting compared to the excitement of battles and the glow of an increasing pile of ECs, but it's how I'm wired.

Maybe this is why in my own stories, dialogue scenes are much easier to write than action/battle scenes are. It's the character interaction and overt/covert motives that makes it interesting to me. I'll happily let someone else write stories that are more battle-oriented (and there are some really really good ones here in Ten Forward).

(steps off of wooden box)
Captain
# 6
09-10-2013, 12:49 AM
Stoutes can stay the **** out of this one since it's not an old thread. Hate wannabe moderators.

Anyway, the First Contact missions needs fixing. i just got t3 diplomacy and couldnt do the mission once I got into my Observation lounge because my BOFF refused to show up for a debrief. That needs to be fixed.
"I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
09-10-2013, 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwtf View Post
Stoutes can stay the **** out of this one since it's not an old thread. Hate wannabe moderators.

Anyway, the First Contact missions needs fixing. i just got t3 diplomacy and couldnt do the mission once I got into my Observation lounge because my BOFF refused to show up for a debrief. That needs to be fixed.
Hey jet, yet here I am. I dont care if you see me as a wannabe mod, because I am not. I didn't want the guy being reported for spamming since he was probably a new forum user and most likely didn't knew about the rules. Nonetheless, we're adults here, so please, act like one.

For the rest, my experiences lately doing foundry missions really show how strong a non-conbat story can be, but the difficulty here is not to do it too much either way. A story can be enhanced with combat, but it can become a grind real fast if the combat is just too hard/too much. A great story shouldn't have too much dialog as well, you don't want to struggle through the dialog boxes.

My suggestion; why not make most of the combat optional (even random space maps); let the player choose how he or she want to handle the situation. The only cryptic mission I know which does this is the "Rescue Deferi Captives".
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^

Last edited by stoutes; 09-10-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Rihannsu
# 8
09-10-2013, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutes View Post
My suggestion; why not make most of the combat optional (even random space maps); let the player choose how he or she want to handle the situation. The only cryptic mission I know which does this is the "Rescue Deferi Captives".
Interesting point. But it's a good one. Cryptic missions that involve combat tend to be combat oriented. It's almost unheard of for them to take a middle of the road approach. :/

I think the thing with the way they design missions is that they don't bother putting optional enemies out. A lot of the missions are old and I remember that, back in season 3, enemies couldn't be optional in foundry.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Community Moderator
# 9
09-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Foundry-based Exploration

Assuming for the moment that exploration will largely consist of some kind of Foundry content.

It would be great if Foundry authors could drop in puzzle and minigame objectives like unscrambling isolinear chips, mining crystals, anomaly scans, and radiation scans and reskinned versions of those... instead of isolinear chips, maybe it's constructing a hieroglyph or sequencing genetic samples, etc.

It would also be very nice if Authors could trigger dialog and objectives based on context, such as the player is a Science officer, or a Vulcan, or female.

And it would make me ecstatic if Authors could set some kind of data token that persists between maps that could be used to trigger dialog and objectives based on something you did on a previous map.

NPC Interactions

Another idea to consider is improved modes of interaction with NPC's.

Basically, we can talk to them or we can fight them. We can't disable them, or capture them, or have them follow us like a BOFF, race them, or frighten them away. If they're a contact, they are stationary and they don't move around or wander. They can't lead us from one location to the other.

It's a pipe dream, but it would certainly be revolutionary.

Deep Cover Operations

Whether this takes the form of studying a pre-warp culture or infiltrating a hostile nation, the most immersion-destroying factor is that the players can't easily switch to native costume or look like an alien.

It would be immensely useful to have the option to temporarily assume an appearance in keeping with the theme of the mission, in the same way that Federation characters can temporarily disguise themselves holographically as Klingons while sabotaging B'Vat's plan.

As wonderful as that would be, I'd like to take it one step further. Allowing the player to customize their temporary appearance for the duration of the mission, using any costume pieces marked acceptable by the author.

Yet another pipe dream, but I can dream awesomeness can't I?
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 10
09-15-2013, 01:03 PM
@ bluegeek: Very great ideas! Pipe dreams become reality sometimes.

So much more that Cryptic could do it's not even funny. They just need the creative minds to do it. Not saying they aren't creative themselves, but more brains working together accomplishes more.

Foundry content is a wonderful idea for bringing more non-combat stuff into STO. The trick is how to do it.