Rihannsu
# 41
09-03-2013, 03:02 AM
Great thread for new players.

If I may be so bold... A tip to those interested in learning about Ship's Power and how your captain's stats, ship, and gear interact might want to check out my Ship Power Guide & Calculator.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=532731

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Lt. Commander
# 42
09-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhavelock View Post
Great thread for new players.

If I may be so bold... A tip to those interested in learning about Ship's Power and how your captain's stats, ship, and gear interact might want to check out my Ship Power Guide & Calculator.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=532731

Just checked out the thread, looks looks good, I'll try it out when I get a chance, thanks for letting me know there's something like this out there! I can see myself using this for many toons and great guide on the subsystems.
Exia@yiweitech
U.S.S. Omega
Assimilation is Futile
United Federation Legion
Lt. Commander
# 43
09-04-2013, 09:41 PM
A really cool, but very little known feature of STO is the /demorecord command. This allows you to record everything that happens in 3D, and review it later for developing strategy, making videos, explore maps, or just marvel at how awesome your ship looks. To record, just type in your chat box </demorecord>. A guide on how to use it and a few add-ons that can make your life easier can be found here:
http://sto.gamepedia.com/Demorecord
Exia@yiweitech
U.S.S. Omega
Assimilation is Futile
United Federation Legion
Lieutenant
# 44
09-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Another little tip:

On Ground missions you can drag your BOFFs skills from where they show (next to there picture) down to your tool bar. Then assign a key bind (escape/options/key bind) to the skill so you can tell the BOFF to do what you want them to do.

Little by little, tipping the scales...
Ensign
# 45
09-05-2013, 06:03 AM
Tip the exchange for getting prices of items currently on the exchange. Drag the item you need a price on in to the search bar and it will populate with the items full name, select the rareness and search, I did not realize this for while and it helps massively if you sell a lot of loot.
Lt. Commander
# 46
09-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Tried copying something from STO? If you select the text, and it stays selected, then you can use the Crtl+C Ctrl+V method. If the selection disappears as soon as you select it, then it's automatically copied, just use Ctrl+V to paste it elsewhere.
Exia@yiweitech
U.S.S. Omega
Assimilation is Futile
United Federation Legion
Lt. Commander
# 47
09-09-2013, 09:41 PM
The need/greed loot system works like this:
If you choose "need", your "roll", which is how the game decides what goes to who, will go to a sperate section, with a 50/50 chance of being selected over the "greed" channel. This means, if one person chose "need" and four other teammates chose "greed" , then the first person would have a 50% chance of getting the item and the other four would each have a 50/4=12.5% chance of getting the item. Now, if everyone chose "need" and one person chose "greed", the chances would be reversed.
Only choose "need" if you plan to immediately equip the item, not throw it in the bank "until my other 5 toons reach level 50"...
Choose "greed" if you plan to sell it on the exchange, give it to another character, or trade it away.
"Pass" is self explainatory...
There is no person to watch over you and decide what you choose, but you would do everyone a service by keeping your greedy little Ferengi paws at bay and choose what you actually need/want instead of spamming the "need" button every time loot popup opes up.
Exia@yiweitech
U.S.S. Omega
Assimilation is Futile
United Federation Legion
Lt. Commander
# 48
09-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiweitech View Post
There is no person to watch over you and decide what you choose, but you would do everyone a service by keeping your greedy little Ferengi paws at bay and choose what you actually need/want instead of spamming the "need" button every time loot popup opes up.
I actually develop a tendency to spam "Greed" in most MMOs I play. I've occasionally greeded things I actually needed. -_-

Not sure if you've given this tip already, but I know this was something I was delighted to learn: You can replay almost any of the missions you've completed previously, and the rewards for that mission will rank up with you. For example, if the mission originally awarded a Mk VII Rare, when you reach your maximum rank for your respective faction, you can replay the mission and now get the Mk XI version. This can be invaluable for starting to gear up for end level content, especially if you don't have the credits to splurge for stuff on the Exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 49
09-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiontassadar View Post
I actually develop a tendency to spam "Greed" in most MMOs I play. I've occasionally greeded things I actually needed. -_-
Haha, I know exactly what you mean, when you think your top-tier equipment can't get any better, then you come across some Mk XI tactical consoles and then pass lol.

And yeah that's a good tip, didn't come to mind yet, I'll expand on that in some later tip... Plenty of tips in the universe...
Exia@yiweitech
U.S.S. Omega
Assimilation is Futile
United Federation Legion

Last edited by yiweitech; 09-09-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 50
09-10-2013, 12:01 AM
You can command your bridge officers to do various things, such as rally them to a certain point (this is bugged for some players including me) and letting them stand by. Play around with them and see, these commands are located on top of your team window while on an away mission.
Exia@yiweitech
U.S.S. Omega
Assimilation is Futile
United Federation Legion