Captain
# 111
09-11-2013, 11:59 PM
I don't have it installed and won't bother to.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Captain
# 112
09-12-2013, 05:50 AM
You don't have to install Arc. If you're already on Steam you can get it there, and there's a standalone installer still available. And if that ever disappears, I will reupload it and keep a link in my sig.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Captain
# 113
10-02-2013, 02:26 AM
I installed it because I wanted to try out Neverwinter Online and Champions Online. I will be playing Neverwinter, it is a fun game. Champions Online is not my game.

The standard procedure is to download these games via ARC, so you have to install it. There is a work arround, but I cannot bothered to search for it. I have no specific problem with this portal. However when I want to play, I use the game's own launcher. I see no point in having any software run in the background that add non to very little to my game experience.

So ARC is on my system but I let it sleep, since at the moment I don't have interest in playing other PWE/Cryptic games.

Edit.

I played a little with ARC and it is in fact an installer, a game launcher, but you can also access the forums and use it to purchase Zen. So it is also a little browser for the PWE/Cryptic game environment. Remember we can all do this without ARC and with not much of a hassle.

Neverwinter has a nice crafting system that can also be accessed via the Gateway. This is also the case with the Neverwinter exchange. Perhaps STO could get a similar crafting system as Neverwinter (it is like the doff system). Nevertheless ARC would have more meaning if we could use it for crafting and the exchange and has the features of the gateway.

Still the question is here, why not do this stuff via the webbrowser. Is there more security to use an own specific browser?

Last edited by fovrel; 10-02-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Career Officer
# 114 STO is the BEST PWE Game
10-25-2013, 10:44 AM
ARC FEEDBACK:

A few months ago, I experienced a problem with STO and had to re-install the game in order to get it to load and work correctly. In order for me to do so, I had to install ARC to get the latest game files.

The only thing I do not like about ARC is that it has all these other PWE Games on it - all of which I will never play and do not care to even know about. No offense to Cryptic/PWE, but I am a hardcore, committed STO player and have logged many, many hours (and spent many dollars) since STO debuted, but I find a resource-heavy tool like ARC to load the one, single PWE game I play to be overkill.

The only reason I have STEAM is to communicate with my Fleetmates out-of-game like we USED TO BE ABLE TO DO with the STO Webmail on the Cryptic Site before PWE Conversion.

Link to post to request Out-of-Game E-Mail into the STO Gateway

ARC is nice for some people, but for me, it's too 'advertisey' for games I do not care a thing about.
Ensign
Every time I open Arc, it requires me to enter my admin credentials. This is rediculous. And as many others have said, I do not see the reason to force us to use a third party application to open the game. I used to use Steam to open STO, but then realized it was better to log directly into STO and ignore all the extra resource hogs. Yes I have browser tabs that use more RAM, but there is no reason I should have to add an additional layer. I have not even opened any games yet after restarting and Arc is already using 90MB for those that want to talk about numbers.
Captain
# 116
11-22-2013, 05:39 PM
What exactly does Arc actually do when it's sitting on your computer? It looks very similar to Aeria games "Aeria Ignite" and what that program has is an attached peer interface to use the users bandwidth to torrent game files, easing the companies bandwidth usage and expenses by dumping it on the users.
If that is what Arc is all about, if that is what it is doing under the pretty bells and whistles then all I can say is Hell No.
If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it.
Oh Hell NO to ARC........One Ring to Rule Them all........
Ensign
# 117 With Arc
11-30-2013, 08:21 PM
It sucks the video will not play right when I have installed it with it
Lieutenant
# 118
01-28-2014, 08:53 AM
I don't mind Arc as I find it useful not having to type in my log-in details every time I wish to play a PWE game (3 of them). Other than that though I agree, it doesn't do much.

As for downloading STO, ugh, it's been 7 hours and I'm still at it. Granted I only have a 4Mbs line but still, if I didn't really want to play this game I'd have given up long ago.
Captain
# 119
01-31-2014, 12:30 PM
I find it weird, I was having issues downloading the patch after the crashes last night and I ran into an error 36 at the end of the patch. So I fired up arc. Arc then seemed to redownload the entire game even though it's already on my drive. It solved the problem but confused the heck out of me.
Yes I support This

"Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many they are few"
Commander
# 120
02-12-2014, 11:14 AM
suggestion
---

Should make Arc kinda like xfire, but for PWE games
have like a Screen shot, video capture feature, create
a gaming profile on Arc, and a gaming signature and
all that jazz.