Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Romulan Gameplay
Login

Captain
# 21
09-12-2013, 08:57 AM
I LOVE THESE THREADS!

/clearsthroat

If you want to be flying Starfleet ships at endgame, guess what? You roll a... Starfleet character!

If you want to be flying KDF ships at endgame, guess what? You roll a... KDF character!

The Romulans should not get access to everything. Deal with it. They should not access endgame allied ships, while still having access to Warbirds. If I had my way, Romulans/Remans would not have access to allied ships at any point in the game. The consoles for those allied T1-T4 ships could be "claimed" still but not the ship itself.
Commander
# 22
09-12-2013, 09:22 AM
Of course all the geeking out aside you realize we are arguing about what is/is not regarding a franchise that changed its canon almost every episode, invented technobabble, and didnt even pretend to try for continuity or anything similar... SO we're arguing Logic and pseduo physics against lollogic, techobabble, and attempts to get/keep ratings...
Survivor of Romulus
# 23
09-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by humblesheep View Post
I agree with you, but as the OP stated, if it says you can fly any chosen faction ship, then any chosen faction ship it should be.

Note: and even if you don't want to fly a Fed or KDF ship, you might still want to use a console (that you have paid for) off a particular ship.
I think the only reason we can use T1-T4 ships is to grab the universal consoles off them. The T5 ships can only use their consoles on the ships they come with and their Fleet versions. Example the Intrepid comes with the Ablative Armour console but it only works on the Intrepid R and the Fleet Intrepid.

Now there are some exceptions to this rule. The Cloaking Device comes with both the Gal X and Defiant R can be used on either ship. But that's simply them not making a cloaking device for each ship. And it does allow Gal R owners to get a Fleet Defiant to cloak.

The Metreon Gas Console (sucks ) but it can be used on any Assault Cruiser of which there are 4. Assault, Assault R, Mirror Star & Fleet Assault.

But most consoles on T5 ships are limited to the ship they came on and the Fleet version.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
Republic Veteran
# 24
09-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachikuno View Post
Of course all the geeking out aside you realize we are arguing about what is/is not regarding a franchise that changed its canon almost every episode, invented technobabble, and didnt even pretend to try for continuity or anything similar... SO we're arguing Logic and pseduo physics against lollogic, techobabble, and attempts to get/keep ratings...
Just concede. Romulans had FTL travel capability before allying with the Klingon Empire and getting the D7 ships, whether it was called "warp" or something else.

That much has to be true, regardless of any assertion(s) made in any of the series or movies. Scotty's statement is the only hint of anything to the contrary, and, as I have shown, is at least an ambiguous statement, but more relevantly, Romulans must have had "warp" capability well before the TOS era, or else the whole Trek universe falls apart as total nonsense (alright, I'm exaggerating, but I think you see the point I'm making).

While it is well-known that there are continuity issues between the various series and movies (and even within a given series), there is a general "current" of widely-accepted canon information, and derived theories based thereon which are consistent therewith (and, in some cases, offer plausible explanations to resolve some of the inconsistencies).

Tal'Diann (Phi'Tlaru Rihan) ~(‾.▿.‾)~ Tal'Diann (Romulan Military Intelligence)
The saying "There are no women on the internet" is sexist nonsense. We do exist, and we also play MMOs. Do not misgender me; I am female.
Captain
# 25
09-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmaker001b View Post
I LOVE THESE THREADS!

/clearsthroat

If you want to be flying Starfleet ships at endgame, guess what? You roll a... Starfleet character!

If you want to be flying KDF ships at endgame, guess what? You roll a... KDF character!

The Romulans should not get access to everything. Deal with it. They should not access endgame allied ships, while still having access to Warbirds. If I had my way, Romulans/Remans would not have access to allied ships at any point in the game. The consoles for those allied T1-T4 ships could be "claimed" still but not the ship itself.
I agree with you. Romulan (and Reman) characters should NOT have access to the ships of their allies, but what is done is done.
Captain
# 26
09-12-2013, 11:07 PM
You can have an interstellar Empire without having FTL. For all we know, Romulans had telepathic-powered FTL travel to make the Exodus from Vulcan to Romulus. Romulans are the ones that believed in freedom and the joy of having emotions so they had their fair share of telepathic Romulans with them when they left. If their FTL travel is based on telepaths, then they could eventually end up with no telepaths left that can be used for FTL travel. So Romulans would have to get Warp Travel from Klingons. There is also the issue that Romulans had no help from the Vulcans in setting up their homeworld so they could have underwent a technological decline during their first centuries on Romulus.

The most likely case is that they somehow obtained some form of FTL before Archer encountered them and the Klingons gave them a better FTL technology in exchange for a cloaking device. There is no reason to assume that Romulans had Warp Travel since they left Vulcan or that they even had Warp Travel when they left. After all Khan's ship was found light years away from Earth and it was about 250 years between when they launched and when they were found and had to rely on sublight travel. We can easily assume that Romulans had far better technology than Earth did in the 2000s. So Earth ships at that time might have gone at 0.1c while Romulan ships could have gone at 0.75c. So unless we have the date of when they left, the date when they arrived at Romulus, and how long they travelled, then we can't say that Romulans had Warp Travel before they left Romulus or even had FTL for most of their time away from Vulcan.
Commander
# 27
09-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by protogoth View Post
Just concede. Romulans had FTL travel capability before allying with the Klingon Empire and getting the D7 ships, whether it was called "warp" or something else.

That much has to be true, regardless of any assertion(s) made in any of the series or movies. Scotty's statement is the only hint of anything to the contrary, and, as I have shown, is at least an ambiguous statement, but more relevantly, Romulans must have had "warp" capability well before the TOS era, or else the whole Trek universe falls apart as total nonsense (alright, I'm exaggerating, but I think you see the point I'm making).

While it is well-known that there are continuity issues between the various series and movies (and even within a given series), there is a general "current" of widely-accepted canon information, and derived theories based thereon which are consistent therewith (and, in some cases, offer plausible explanations to resolve some of the inconsistencies).
Except Ive seen far too much material that states they did not have Warp drives in TOS era... You do not consider that material canon, and weather it is or not I have been running with that material for ages and have used it for a long while. Is it canon? Who knows with Star Treks penchant for rewriting itself every other week. IMO its not worth arguing over when we have Roms flying around in KDF Vor'Cha or Gorn Phalanx or Orion Marauders... Make a rom D-7 Charge $3 for it and let us roll retro in t1
Republic Veteran
# 28
09-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Make a rom D-7 Charge $3 for it and let us roll retro in t1
Well, see, we can get what is essentially an updated D7 now, and reskin several other ships to look like a D7, up to tier 3 (and what I personally think is more like tier 3.5, namely, the Koro't'inga). This of course presupposes alliance with the Klingon Empire. Obviously, Fed-allied Romulans can't do this.

I would like to see tier 5 ships with skins to look like the TOS Constellation class (not the movie Enterprise, but the TOS Enterprise), the TOS T'Liss, and the TOS D7. We have photonic technology, after all. In one of those Devidian missions, it is actually used to make a KDF vessel look like a D7 (no matter what tier the ship is), so why not allow it to be used on a vessel permanently, no matter the tier of the ship? Too bad Gene and Majel have passed; I suspect they wouldn't be so an.. uh, wouldn't be as constipated about the idea as CBS seems to be. Maybe all that's really needed is the right pitch, like this I've suggested with reference to "Night of the Comet," the KDF version of which says at one point:

Quote:
One more thing before you start. I also added a holoemitter to your vessel. You will appear to be a D7 loyal to the House of Duras with all of the appropriate access codes for the time period. I would have acquired an actual D7 for you, but you will need your ship's modern firepower and shields to complete your mission.
Obviously this can be done, as demonstrated by the mission. No good reason for preventing players from having it done permanently to any vessel in their command has been offered, other than "CBS won't let us." And yet, has anyone pointed out the facts that:
- it has been done temporarily
- the technology exists to allow any ship to look like any other ship
- the same technology is standard on some vessels already (the NCC 1701-D, for example, had internal holosuites, and even now, we can use a BOff power called "Photonic Fleet," which creates holographic vessels to fight alongside us -- surely it can't be an issue of power limitations if we can "summon" not just one, but three whole photonic vessels with the actual firepower and so on of the real vessels)
?

Tal'Diann (Phi'Tlaru Rihan) ~(‾.▿.‾)~ Tal'Diann (Romulan Military Intelligence)
The saying "There are no women on the internet" is sexist nonsense. We do exist, and we also play MMOs. Do not misgender me; I am female.

Last edited by protogoth; 09-13-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Career Officer
# 29
09-13-2013, 02:27 AM
Quote:
Except Ive seen far too much material that states they did not have Warp drives in TOS era... You do not consider that material canon, and weather it is or not I have been running with that material for ages and have used it for a long while. Is it canon? Who knows with Star Treks penchant for rewriting itself every other week. IMO its not worth arguing over when we have Roms flying around in KDF Vor'Cha or Gorn Phalanx or Orion Marauders... Make a rom D-7 Charge $3 for it and let us roll retro in t1
I'm really curious here: which material would that be?
Commander
# 30
09-13-2013, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
I'm really curious here: which material would that be?
Mostly older stuff for table top games(tactical battles and rpg games), tho iirc the Starfleet Command video game(starfleet battles for the digital age lol) also used that. A lot of it expanded on the Gorn race and I was always interested in those before the series 'Enterprise' finally did some expanding on them. Gorn vs Romulans as long time rival empires was really interesting to me. Gorn learned quite a bit from their Romulan adversaries, including plasma weapon technology and eventually warp drives.