Captain
# 11
09-11-2013, 07:52 PM
^Of course not Liberated Borg, and the Ferengi are out, too, since AFAIK Starfleet didn't meet them until the early- to mid-24th century. The Bajorans are possible but unlikely given that at the time of TOS they only had sublight ships.

Maybe we don't just focus on TOS but also mix in stuff from TAS?
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Captain
# 12
09-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
^Of course not Liberated Borg, and the Ferengi are out, too, since AFAIK Starfleet didn't meet them until the early- to mid-24th century. The Bajorans are possible but unlikely given that at the time of TOS they only had sublight ships.

Maybe we don't just focus on TOS but also mix in stuff from TAS?
And this is why I don't see them adding a 23rd Century zone to the game. If certain players are not allowed to play this content due to race, then it won't be added or heavily modified so that it ruins immersion. Cryptic and PWE is all about all mission content being playable by everyone and for free.
Lieutenant
# 13
09-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
^Of course not Liberated Borg, and the Ferengi are out, too, since AFAIK Starfleet didn't meet them until the early- to mid-24th century.?
Starfleet were made aware of the ferengi in the ENT episode 'Aquisition', when a ferengi crew gassed the Enterprise crew and proceeded to rob the ship (without realising Tucker was in a decon chamber, he then - in between flirting with T'Pol - hatched a plan to get them out of it). Starfleet definately knew about them, as Phlox had done medicals on them.

On the topic directly at hand as someone whose favourite series is ENT, I would dearly love to see a game similar to STO which was based in the period between ENT and TOS, but just not this one. Two of my favourite STO 'epsiodes' have been the drozana time travelling one and the celebration mirror Universe one - if they want to do more time or dimension travelling in this sort of way, I say bring it on, but a complete zone limited to t1 ships just doesn't fit with the whole game storyline for me.
Captain
# 14
09-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1884 View Post
On the topic directly at hand as someone whose favourite series is ENT, I would dearly love to see a game similar to STO which was based in the period between ENT and TOS, but just not this one. Two of my favourite STO 'epsiodes' have been the drozana time travelling one and the celebration mirror Universe one - if they want to do more time or dimension travelling in this sort of way, I say bring it on, but a complete zone limited to t1 ships just doesn't fit with the whole game storyline for me.
Have to agree with this. STO can introduce as many temporal and dimensional missions that they want, but every zone should be accessible by everyone no matter what race or ship they bring. As long as its not bringing a Tuffli or Miranda into a STF.
Captain
# 15
09-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1884 View Post
Starfleet were made aware of the ferengi in the ENT episode 'Aquisition', when a ferengi crew gassed the Enterprise crew and proceeded to rob the ship (without realising Tucker was in a decon chamber, he then - in between flirting with T'Pol - hatched a plan to get them out of it). Starfleet definately knew about them, as Phlox had done medicals on them.
Except that even the directors had to admit that they fouled up on that just as they did with the D7/K't'inga and the Borg. The Federation didn't know about the Ferengi until the Enterprise-D made contact in the episode "The Last Outpost." Before then, there were only rumors that the Ferengi would eat their business partners.

As to the topic at hand, there is no reason why players could not create Movie era missions via the foundry. Replace all the crusier type ships with T2 Consitutions or T3 Excelsiors. Replace the Frigates with Mirandas and Oberths.
Career Officer
# 16
09-12-2013, 04:44 PM
They could at some point start up a TOS/TMP Era Server.

Separate from the main one, running with the same engine, just limited to TOS/TMP era items and ships.

It probably wouldn't be a populated as the current server (though I'd guess it would be pretty close) but would still (IMO) probably be profitable for Them.

It's an idea anyway.

...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Career Officer
# 17
09-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwford View Post
Except that even the directors had to admit that they fouled up on that just as they did with the D7/K't'inga and the Borg. The Federation didn't know about the Ferengi until the Enterprise-D made contact in the episode "The Last Outpost." Before then, there were only rumors that the Ferengi would eat their business partners.

As to the topic at hand, there is no reason why players could not create Movie era missions via the foundry. Replace all the cruiser type ships with T2 Constitutions or T3 Excelsiors. Replace the Frigates with Miranda's and Oberths.
I find it very hard to believe that the TNG era Star Fleet/Federation, didn't have any idea that the Ferengi were out there...
It's far more likely that there had just not been any direct Official contact with them up till Picard's moment.

Seeing how the race was very RETCONNED after "The Last Outpost" episode (mostly by the DS-9 writers), puts TLO into that category of an amusing tale which needs to be taken with a very large grain of salt.
Obviously, there are a few Ferengi out there that don't live by the Rules of Acquisition..

Just like not ALL Klingons, are Warriors.

...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.

Last edited by daveyny; 09-12-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Captain
# 18
09-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
I find it very hard to believe that the TNG era Star Fleet/Federation, didn't have any idea that the Ferengi were out there...
It's far more likely that there had just not been any direct Official contact with them up till Picard's moment.

Seeing how the race was very RETCONNED after "The Last Outpost" episode (mostly by the DS-9 writers), puts TLO into that category of an amusing tale which needs to be taken with a very large grain of salt.
Obviously, there are a few Ferengi out there that don't live by the Rules of Acquisition..

Not at all. it is entierly possible that the Cardassians and more quietly the Romulans had contact with the Ferengi long before the Federation did. Rumors and reputation often proceeds people before they even meet.
Career Officer
# 19
09-13-2013, 02:07 AM
Quote:

Remember, Archer never asked the Ferengi in the episode what their species was called, so it's all this guy's fault
http://imageshack.us/a/img196/1576/3b8.png
that Picard in "The Last Outpost" didn't know what he was up against.
Captain
# 20
09-13-2013, 03:24 AM
Quote:
They could at some point start up a TOS/TMP Era Server.

Separate from the main one, running with the same engine, just limited to TOS/TMP era items and ships.

It probably wouldn't be a populated as the current server (though I'd guess it would be pretty close) but would still (IMO) probably be profitable for Them.

It's an idea anyway.

This looks to be the best solution.

Keep it completely separate from the current server. Level cap all characters at 20 and only have TOS ships available. They could offer a few more TOS era ship and player equipment, even if it is just taking existing weapons and re-naming them. Content wise would be nowhere near as much as the main server. Perhaps a few story arcs and some STF style missions at the endgame, like a counter offensive against a Klingon fleet or something.

It wouldn't be the full game by any means, but enough for players who want to jaunt around in the TOS era for a few hours between grinding.
Kurov - KDF Tactical
- - - - -
STB Channel Member
- - - - -
"Something everyone always forgets, all grind is optional"
Closed Thread