Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Captain
I asked this in a response during a long recent thread, but I realized I might be better off asking this as a separate thread.

I'm a "new player" level 15, and am sitting down to begin to work with my Boffs in detail. I notice when looking at the STATIONS tab that some of my Doffs have skills that don't apply to that particular station. Is there a quick reference or an easy way to know which skills are useful at which stations so I can try and feebly do my best to maximize my use of what officers I have? And is there a way to find or craft officers (cheaply) that are close or even exact fits to their stations?

I'm sure that once I understand how to properly setup my Bridge Officers it will lend a flexibility and advantage I'll need and enjoy...

(Also haven't worked with Duty officers yet, so related advice on them would be very helpful, too.)
Captain
# 2
09-14-2013, 05:49 AM
What's your profession and ships you are thinking of using, that way be able to tell if you need cannon skills, beam skills or torp skills?

Useful skills atm for you would be - also used at end game - should be able to get them from the BO trainer

Tactical Team - so you can shift your shields automatically to the attackers facing

Hazard Emitters - gets rid of nasty plasma fires and gives a nice hull heal

Emergency Power to Shields - Nice bonus to your shields and gives a resistance to damage

Reverse Shield Polarity - this is a must have skill - You take energy damage and your shields go up, very nice

Polarize Hull - is another good one as it allows you to escape tractor beams and gives a very nice damage resistance

You can find officers very cheaply on the exchange - even the purples are relatively cheap -, you also get them while levelling up and certain DOFF assignments can net you some

Hope this helps a bit and welcome to the game, im sure you will get a lot more advice.

EDIT - Here's a list of the BO skills and what they do http://sto.gamepedia.com/Bridge_officer_ability
http://www.auroratrek.com/index.html

Last edited by verlaine11; 09-14-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Captain
# 3
09-14-2013, 08:17 AM
Tactical Training sounds perfect for me. I already have a couple of those, Hazard emitters, Emergency power to shields...

I haven't had much luck yet with the "wiki" but I'm impatient and probably didn't explore it as carefully as I should. For some reason I didn't find the categories along the left as "complete" sounding as they may actually be inside. Silly me overlooked the "Main Page" link which has some interesting links.

Started as an Engineer and I do need to decide on a plan for eventual profession/ship fit. (I remember reading a thread here recently about just that - now where did that thread go...) I guess that'll be what moves me from "newbie" to "advanced newbie" status...I sure hope I can "rectify" any mistakes I made through (inexpensive) respecs, etc...I know I'm just sort of moving blindly and boldly through all the content learning and refining as I go....

Thanks for the reply...
Captain
# 4
09-14-2013, 09:01 AM
If you have not, it might be a good idea to have a look on Amazon for a Unopened Retail copy of the game - very cheap if you are from the US - just for the code in it for 1 month sub, expanded bank and along side many many other good benefits which you get to keep after the month you get a respect token every time you rank up during the 1 month sub period.

If you do a search on here there should be a lot of threads with the benefits listed what you get
http://www.auroratrek.com/index.html
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by verlaine11 View Post
What's your profession and ships you are thinking of using, that way be able to tell if you need cannon skills, beam skills or torp skills?

Useful skills atm for you would be - also used at end game - should be able to get them from the BO trainer

Tactical Team - so you can shift your shields automatically to the attackers facing

Emergency Power to Shields - Nice bonus to your shields and gives a resistance to damage

Reverse Shield Polarity - this is a must have skill - You take energy damage and your shields go up, very nice

Polarize Hull - is another good one as it allows you to escape tractor beams and gives a very nice damage resistance

You can find officers very cheaply on the exchange - even the purples are relatively cheap -, you also get them while levelling up and certain DOFF assignments can net you some

Hope this helps a bit and welcome to the game, im sure you will get a lot more advice.

EDIT - Here's a list of the BO skills and what they do http://sto.gamepedia.com/Bridge_officer_ability

in fact welcome to dps online - you want to have a high attack pattern beta, some beam / cannon attack skills ,tactical team and emergency power to weapons(and while you are at power set you weapon power high)

Last edited by taschenbillard12; 09-14-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Lieutenant
# 6
09-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by verlaine11 View Post

Read thru that link thoroughly. The info is there, but it is up to you, the player, to decide what is needed. Watch out for duplication, such as Transfer Shield and Emergency Power to Shields, which over lap quite a bit.

Also pay attention to what you can do. Player abilities are just as useful (or more so) than Boff abilities. Watch out for duplication here also.

As a new player, I highly recommend reading the player guides here on the Academy forum.

Also try this thread: United Federation Legion Tips of the Day
Captain
# 7
09-16-2013, 07:04 AM
Ahh thanks - so duplication does not "stack" - was wondering. Am paying attention to my skills but I have precious few points to allocate..I do hope that'll resolve itself over time.

I'm reading through that thread now, the "Tip of the Day". At first I was intimidated by its length but it isn't that long after all...