Career Officer
# 41
09-11-2013, 09:59 AM
They do not care one bit about the exchange price of tac consoles.
Captain
# 42
09-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khayuung View Post
I hope Cryptic has the wisdom to make Fleet Tac versions out of the non-specific consoles which have an additional +damage bonus to Phaser/Disruptor weapons (in total would have phasers/disruptors slightly ahead of the MKXII race, while all other energy types remain better off with the old MkXIIs) and another modifier which improves ACC/DEF or something surprising like modify the firing cycle of beams or reduce torpedo cooldowns!

Not flat out fleet energy specific consoles. That would be TERRIBLE in terms of crashing the economy. D:
Because what STO needs is even more pigeon-holing into arbitrary equipment types based on faction choice...
Commander
# 43
09-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Here's the flaw in your logic.

High prices on some things are good for cryptic, This is why the field generator was left out of embassy holdings. Its also why some things will be left out of the tac console's we'll inevitably get ahold of.

People spend real money to buy things in the cstore to sell for EC to pay for these things.
Just the other day someone went and bought 20 keys to trade me for a very rare induction coil mk xii.

We'll get the consoles, most of them, because it effectively monetizes these pieces of equipment, but we wont get all the consoles. eliminating part of the market for traders to speculate craft and deal in.
If we did, console crafting would be completely irrelevant, and you wouldn't need 100+million ec to get a perfect liberated borg romulan engineer to craft your powered alien artifacts.
100 million. that represents something like 70 master keys. at $1.25 each usd.

yea they'll monetize some consoles, most even, but not all.
They'd be stupid to do that.

Field Generators will very likely be one of the last desirable rewards from childrens toys and their price will reflect that in the future.
As for tac consoles, who knows. what i'd like to see are some viable alternatives to the vanilla energyweapon type consoles you mUst use in most cases to be effective. meaning, buffed up generic damage type tac consoles like prefire chambers that add acc or reduce cooldown or something. or DEM Consoles, or Torpedo generic damage consoles. etc.

Something that doesn't make what we have now ( mk xii phaser relays 'n induction coils, phase modulators and pulse generators) and make them irrelevant, but that gives new life to the other tac consoles that have fallen out of use because there's always something better.
Career Officer
# 44
09-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake1771 View Post
This is why the field generator was left out of embassy holdings.

The field generator was left out, because the devs felt it was overused and they wanted to improve the other options competitiveness with field generators.

I believe it was borticus who pretty much stated this directly on the forums.

If they hadn't left it out, almost everyone would have chosen them.

It has nothing do with them caring about the EC value of these.

If your theory was true, we would not have seen RCS consoles, Neutroniums and Monotaniums added to fleet holdings - as these were generally the highest priced sellers of all Eng consoles on the exchange.

Career Officer
# 45
09-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
The field generator was left out, because the devs felt it was overused and they wanted to improve the other options competitiveness with field generators.

I believe it was borticus who pretty much stated this directly on the forums.

If they hadn't left it out, almost everyone would have chosen them.

It has nothing do with them caring about the EC value of these.
I'm not sure what Borticus has said on the forum, but I believe it was Geko in a podcast interview who said outright that adding field generators to the game in the first place was a mistake and he wished he could remove them completely.

Then again LoR added a Romulan mission with a green field gen as a reward, so STO's left hand doesn't always know what the right is doing.
Ensign
# 46
09-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Remember that it is pure speculation that we will be getting fleet tac consoles... If we do, they are most likely going to be generic ones with a special mod. It will be very interesting to see what they do with this Dyson Spire!
Captain
# 47
09-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake1771 View Post
As for tac consoles, who knows. what i'd like to see are some viable alternatives to the vanilla energyweapon type consoles you mUst use in most cases to be effective. meaning, buffed up generic damage type tac consoles like prefire chambers that add acc or reduce cooldown or something. or DEM Consoles, or Torpedo generic damage consoles. etc.

Something that doesn't make what we have now ( mk xii phaser relays 'n induction coils, phase modulators and pulse generators) and make them irrelevant, but that gives new life to the other tac consoles that have fallen out of use because there's always something better.
I don't think we need more ACC in this game because I can foresee instant hate for them for unbalancing things. A+defense console would be better, since there is enough ACC in this game already. A cooldown reducing console for torpedoes would maybe render projectile doffs irrelevant and again possibly create imbalance since you free up doff slots.