Captain
# 11
09-13-2013, 08:05 AM
Using the duty officer system (AKA as just "Doffing") is actualy kinda imporant in the long run of your time in STO.

When a doff mission completes sucessfuly, you get, usuualy, some Energy Credits (ECs), some dilithuim, Experince points, Skill points, and sometimes an odd extra reward (an Item, a Doff, a Boff, or a buff to a skill of some kind). The longer the mission takes and how risky (Rule of Accquistion #62), tends to decided how big the reward is. In the exprince catagory, you earn experince for leveling your toon (helps you level a little faster), and Commendation experince (CXP). each Doff mission is asscociated with a Commendation track.

The best way to earn the most rewards is to make sure the duty officers' traits match the "Success" and "Critical Success" requirments of a mission, and not the "Failure" or "Disaster" ones. Also note the "Casuality" possiblites of a mission. Doffs can get hurt (and require some time in sick bay before they can be used again) or outright killed and gone forever (Note: this applies to all doffs, so even though you can get non-organic doffs like an EMH hologram [Known as the "Photonic" race] it can still be hurt or killed). So if you have a doff who's of great vailue, but the risk of damage is extream, you might want to rethink that mission, becuase even if you scuceed, they can still end up not coming back.

Now, THE most important of the commendation tracks is the "Diplomacy" (Fed and Fed ally Rom) and "Maruding" (KDF and KDF ally Rom) tracks (they are counterparts to each other). For each tier you complete of any track, you are awarded one free doff and a new title, plus a small experince reward. When you level up in Diplomacy and Marurding, you get more. For levels 2,3 and 4, you unlock a new Transwarp destionation for your transwarp menu on the minimap window. Feds earn Deepspace K-7 at tier 2, Starbase 39-Sierra at teir 3 and Deep Space 9 at tier 4. KDF earns "romulan Space" at tier 2 (read as Alpha Centuari Sector Block, drops you off near memory alpha), Regulus Sector Block at tier 3 and "Cardassian Space" (Beta Urse sector block, near DS9, since even though it's still a defacto FED station [as Bajor is now a federation world], DS9 is open to all Klingon captains)

At tier 3 of both you can sneak into the enemy home sector block and you can gift to other players "Diplomatic Imiunty" (FED/Fed-Rom) or "Raiding Party" (KDF/KDF-Rom). This allows them acess to the enemy home sector for 1 hour (you can come and go as you like), plus a speed boost in sector space. Note that these two speed buffs actually stack. You can give raiding party to feds and Diplomatic imminy to KDF. Couple them with the fastest engines in the game (Borg Sub-transwarp) and the level 50 "Quantuim Slipsteam drive" power, I was doing Transwarp 44 once, pre Legacy of Romulus speeds.

At tier 4, you get a purple (very rare) bridge officer of the other faction, IE, my primary fed captain has a orion tactical Boff, and Fed captains get a spiffy uniform to wear.

Once you fill up a commendation track, you can continue to earn CXP. If you join a fleet, for each 10,000 points over the limit you earn, you can trade that 10,000 in for a helping of the "Fleet Marks" currency, to spend of fleet projects to get the "Fleet credits" which allows you to buy fleet gear.

If you want to earn the rewards a little faster, check the exchange and any doffs you might pick up for being "Consultants". I have one on my fed main that earns me 2% extra CXP.
I send three purple diplomats on a simple gift exchange and they blow it...
I send three white bartenders on a three day wilderness training exercise and the crit it...
Captain
# 12
09-14-2013, 04:25 AM
That sounds really good and I appreciate your laying it out for me - I'm working more closely on my Boffs right now, Doffs are next (unless I find I need to tend to them to finish with the Boffs.)

I was going to ask how to send them, but i just figured it out, found the PLAN ASSIGNMENT tab and noticed when it was enabled/disabled.

And if I may take advantage of your generosity, how do I best rectify the fact that if I send Duty Officers on missions will they become better than my current Bridge Officers for my bridge positions or are they two different things? How are they related?

This is like a game within a game. I rather like this.

Last edited by realisticalty; 09-14-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Captain
# 13
09-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Doffs don't level at all, their abilities and statuses are set from the moment they are generated in the system. As time goes by you simply get to buy or earn better ones. All the experience their missions reward is for your captain.

Boff's are NPCs, and sort of compared to virtual pets, except you don't need to feed them or clean up after them. Doffs and Doffing is sort of like a one player collectible card game. Boffs get weapons and fear and fight beside you. A doff only exists as that picture and dossier in the doffing menu. There are super ultra rare ones that are valued at millions of energy credits. Most are randomized images names and traits, while a few very rare ones are references to Trek canon and pop culture in general.

You can visit a tailor and give your boff's a makeover. You have the option to rename them. You can visit the Boff trainers and they will teach them new skills, and you can teach them certain skills that match your career track.

Boff's can come and go at the drop of a hat. A few minutes ago I bought about 150 common (aka whites) for a project for my fleet. Nearly every project requires them, meanwhile uses for packed Boff's (boffs not on your active roster) are few and far between.
I send three purple diplomats on a simple gift exchange and they blow it...
I send three white bartenders on a three day wilderness training exercise and the crit it...
Captain
# 14
09-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenriderzero1 View Post

The best way to earn the most rewards is to make sure the duty officers' traits match the "Success" and "Critical Success" requirments of a mission, and not the "Failure" or "Disaster" ones. Also note the "Casuality" possiblites of a mission. Doffs can get hurt (and require some time in sick bay before they can be used again) or outright killed and gone forever (Note: this applies to all doffs, so even though you can get non-organic doffs like an EMH hologram [Known as the "Photonic" race] it can still be hurt or killed). So if you have a doff who's of great vailue, but the risk of damage is extream, you might want to rethink that mission, becuase even if you scuceed, they can still end up not coming back.
Rare and Very Rare Duty officer can not be killed unless the mission specifically says in big bold letters that they will not be coming back. Rare and Very Rare duty officers used to have a chance to die on "Disaster", but Cryptic changed this back toward the end of Season 5 when a lot of players lost duty officers they paid real world money to obtain. Common and Uncommon duty officers can be killed or injured in all cases.
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
09-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
Rare and Very Rare Duty officer can not be killed unless the mission specifically says in big bold letters that they will not be coming back. Rare and Very Rare duty officers used to have a chance to die on "Disaster", but Cryptic changed this back toward the end of Season 5 when a lot of players lost duty officers they paid real world money to obtain. Common and Uncommon duty officers can be killed or injured in all cases.
Uncommon, rare, and very rare are all immune to death and always were. The exception is missions that always kill or otherwise remove all officers assigned. The change you're thinking of is probably when they added the red text to these missions to make them clear.
Ensign
# 16 Stranded in space
10-08-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm stuck with the mission "Stranded in space". Everything went great until the last ship, a big battleship came. I kept firing everything I got and barely scratched it. It's shields were blue all the time. I lost my shields and took quite a bit of damage. I managed to manouver behind an asteroid and accelerate to safety. So I quit and tried to get help for the mission (no luck). When I came back the mission restarted.

How on earth do I destroy the last big battleship? Do I really have to replay the whole mission? Also it's my only active mission so I don't know what else to do except find a way to complete it.
Captain
# 17
10-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelius View Post
I'm stuck with the mission "Stranded in space". Everything went great until the last ship, a big battleship came. I kept firing everything I got and barely scratched it. It's shields were blue all the time. I lost my shields and took quite a bit of damage. I managed to manouver behind an asteroid and accelerate to safety. So I quit and tried to get help for the mission (no luck). When I came back the mission restarted.

How on earth do I destroy the last big battleship? Do I really have to replay the whole mission? Also it's my only active mission so I don't know what else to do except find a way to complete it.
Make certain your Power is set to Weapons 100 rather then the default Weapons 50. Changing your Power settings would have been covered in the Tutorial.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-08-2013, 12:48 PM
I opted for the Nausican for the pirate space skill
Captain
# 19
10-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Although I have not played any other MMO, I am proud of being a part of STO because of the extremely helpful player community!
Please add Exploration to Star Trek Online!
Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
Star Trek Battles Channel - Play STO more like Star Trek with challenge, teamwork and FUN!