Lt. Commander
There are two methods that are infinitely better than the current 'equipment grab' microgame, which seems to be designed around players actually being polite to each other.

The first is to apply a 'Diminishing Returns' effect to each successive 'Need' roll, which would cap the player's maximum roll score at a lower and lower number, until the player gets the idea and doesn't spam the 'Need' button anymore, and takes a few 'Greed', or even 'Pass' rolls (if the player is that hard up for EC, there's always repeatable Patrol and/or Foundry missions, the latter of which seem to drop more loot).

The second, more simple method would be to eliminate 'Need/Greed' entirely, and just display it as 'Want/Do Not Want'.
Captain
# 2
09-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Additional suggestion: Give modifiers to the roll based on PC level relative to the item in question. So, for example, a Vice Admiral (50) would roll poorer on Mk IV gear than a Lieutenant Commander (25), and vice versa on Mk XII gear. This would make characters more likely to get gear they can actually use.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Captain
# 3
09-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Here's a simple mechanic: Keep a tally of the number of rolls since the player last won an item. Whenever the user clicks the "need" button, add the running tally to the current roll value. If the user clicks "greed" or "pass" simply increment the tally. If the user wins the lottery, reset the runnng tally to zero.

The result is "Passing" frequently will cause your bonus score to continually rise, giving you incrementally better chance at winning a "need". Clicking "greed" often will result in more frequent wins, but your "need" bonus will also remain low.

Last edited by ursusmorologus; 09-15-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: clarification
Captain
# 4
09-15-2013, 01:53 PM
I personally think only someone who did damage to something should get loot from what was destroyed. If something was destroyed and no one did any damage to it they should not have a chance at any drops.
Captain
# 5
09-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
I personally think only someone who did damage to something should get loot from what was destroyed. If something was destroyed and no one did any damage to it they should not have a chance at any drops.
Awesome! That would certainly solve the problem of AFK loot farming.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Captain
# 6
09-15-2013, 08:32 PM
just randomize everything
Vice Admiral Rylana - U.S.S. DNT Omega X || Vice Admiral Lyzara - I.R.W. DNT Omicron X
Vice Admiral Kailiana - R.R.W. DNT Theta X || Vice Admiral Talina - I.R.W. DNT Tau X
Vice Admiral Victoria - U.S.S. DNT Upsilon X || Lt. General Dannika - I.K.S. DNT Sigma X
Vice Admiral Shondra - R.R.W. DNT Alpha X || Lt. General Rosanna - I.K.S. DNT Iota X
=== Vice Squad/House of Tlhap-Jen ===
Rihannsu
# 7
09-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylanadionysis View Post
just randomize everything
My personal favorite of the loot distribution systems that the game has is "Round Robin". In Round Robin, the game cycles between players so that everyone gets something. It's still luck whether you get the purples, but at least you don't have to deal with those annoying need/greed text boxes... Ugh... I hate those. Missions proceed so much smoother when you don't need to bother with those worthless things.

But I digress.... The key flaw with need/greed is that there is no downside to clicking Need. One Idea that I've heard in the past was to make it so people had "need points". You start the match with 3. Each time you click "Need" it costs 3. You get 1 Need point each time you click on either greed or pass.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Republic Veteran
# 8
09-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Just make the loot separate drops where you only see and pick up drops for you...
Rihannsu
# 9
09-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptkeeper0 View Post
Just make the loot separate drops where you only see and pick up drops for you...
There's an option for that too. I think it's called "Free for all". But... I'm not sure if you can change the loot system used for STFs at all. In regular teamups, the team leader can set the loot style.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
09-16-2013, 02:10 AM
My adjustment is simple.

Make Need Bind it to the Character, and make it worth 0 EC.

Greed means you can sell it on the exchange or to a Vendor. Need means I intend to equip it right now.

Oh and this change would see people whinging for weeks about everybody still hitting need on everything and the people who don't read patch notes complaining their loot is bugged. But after awhile I think the guy hitting Need on Tac console will be the guy using that flavour of weapons.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.