Starfleet Veteran
In my past three matches there's been a person on my team who flies close to the debris/station in the middle of the map and cloaks. Like a low-life. Once I led the other team straight to the loser so they could blow him up, just for fun. Still, it leaves a team short-handed and, IMHO, reduces the fun of the match.

Of course we should all report the bottom feeders who do this but the real action must be with Cryptic. They really need to do something about this.

Complaining without offering a solution is of no help to anyone, so here's my suggestion.

PvP should include a method of detecting whether a player passes certain tests in the previous 3 minutes. If none of these tests is passed then the player gets NO benefit for having been there. What are these tests I speak of?

If you've damaged a player in the past 3 minutes you've passed. This will be the test that ensures most people in the game are going to get benefit from the match.

If you've affected any other player in the game within the past three minutes. This will cover those that heal team mates or use non-damaging abilities on the opposition, like Scramble Sensors or Viral Matrix, etc. This unlikely test is there to pick up those who are still in the match but for whatever reason haven't dealt damage.

If you're within 10km range of your team mates or an enemy ship in the past three minutes. This covers those rare scenarios where each team has been separated and are looking for each other. As long as you stay near your team you'll be fine.

If three minutes passes and you've not met a single one of these tests, you get booted from the match with nothing to show for it. That way hopefully another player can enter the match, a players who is not a leech.

A system like this would start to discourage players who idle from even entering PvP matches.

Opinions, people?
Career Officer
# 2
09-17-2013, 12:55 PM
I feel your pain. This is just as worse in ground such as Mine trap.

This has already been discussed at length afkers. Unfortunately Cryptic has not provided us with a solution or anything in the works yet, so expect it to continue. I still report to Crptic, but who knows what will happen.
Now found frequenting MWO short term and then Star Citizen long term. Raged Quit long ago
- Gohan (House of Beautiful /Sad Pandas)
/channel_join Tyler Durden for Organised Balanced PVP matches
Captain
# 3
09-17-2013, 04:55 PM
I disagree with this. I have had matches lost because the other team doesn't move to the center of the map and stays near their spawn and my team takes the bait and heads across the map to engage. What happens after is that once a team mate is killed your team is shorthanded for twice as long as normal since they have to fly the whole distance of the map to get back to the fight.

To avoid falling into this trap I don't go any further then the middle of the map when the match starts and tell my team not to go all the way to their spawn, if we wait at the middle they will have to come to us. If my team decides to be stupid and fight near their spawn I will just stay at the middle of the map and wait for the fight to get back there. I am not afk, but not willing to be led into traps by General Custer type of players, so sometimes more then 3 minutes go by before the fight gets to a reasonable enough location for me. People won't learn to stop going to the other teams spawn if everyone is forced to follow them there or get a penalty.
Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
Captain
# 4
09-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8219 View Post
I disagree with this. I have had matches lost because the other team doesn't move to the center of the map and stays near their spawn and my team takes the bait and heads across the map to engage. What happens after is that once a team mate is killed your team is shorthanded for twice as long as normal since they have to fly the whole distance of the map to get back to the fight.

To avoid falling into this trap I don't go any further then the middle of the map when the match starts and tell my team not to go all the way to their spawn, if we wait at the middle they will have to come to us. If my team decides to be stupid and fight near their spawn I will just stay at the middle of the map and wait for the fight to get back there. I am not afk, but not willing to be led into traps by General Custer type of players, so sometimes more then 3 minutes go by before the fight gets to a reasonable enough location for me. People won't learn to stop going to the other teams spawn if everyone is forced to follow them there or get a penalty.
My god...

Reverse spawn camping!?

Why didn't people think of this before, back in the days of when spawn camping was considered unfair and....

Oh wait...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Captain
# 5
09-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
My god...

Reverse spawn camping!?

Why didn't people think of this before, back in the days of when spawn camping was considered unfair and....

Oh wait...
I don't know why but it seems like this has been a somewhat popular tactic used to beat pugs recently, I have seen 3 or 4 games like this the past week and they end pretty fast, the team waiting at the spawn might give up a few kills at first but once they get a kill or 2 it ends up being 1 sided in their favor since they get back to the fight instantly and it takes a minute for the other team.
Career Officer
# 6
09-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Quote:

Not when I am around.... Insta Vape
Now found frequenting MWO short term and then Star Citizen long term. Raged Quit long ago
- Gohan (House of Beautiful /Sad Pandas)
/channel_join Tyler Durden for Organised Balanced PVP matches
Captain
# 7
09-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Quote:
I don't know why but it seems like this has been a somewhat popular tactic used to beat pugs recently, I have seen 3 or 4 games like this the past week and they end pretty fast, the team waiting at the spawn might give up a few kills at first but once they get a kill or 2 it ends up being 1 sided in their favor since they get back to the fight instantly and it takes a minute for the other team.
Even when they try to regroup, they're usually going to full impulse (5 Weapons, 5 Shields, 5 Aux) at least 3/4 of the way back to the fight - sometimes coming from three spawns - and leaving themselves ripe for being picked off near their regrouping point.
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder
Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethaen, M.Qin - Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba
Captain
# 8
09-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0h4n4 View Post
Not when I am around.... Insta Vape
Naw this happened to me 3 times last week in fed pugs , some of them full impulsing straight to the other side at match start to their doom.