Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Romulan Flotilla
Login

Captain
I wanted to get some more ideas bouncing around before the ship is released in the hopes that the Devs pick them up and implement them.

Name
I originally suggested in another post that the name of this ship should be the Talvath or Apnex. Since Talvath was given to one of the temporal ships, I guess that means Apnex will likely be the name for the ship class Any other ideas?

Stats
BOFF Slots: T3: Lt. Cdr Sci, Lt. Eng, Lt. Tac, Ens Sci; T5 Cdr Sci, Lt. Cdr Sci, Lt. Eng, Lt. Tac, Ens Eng
Consoles: T3: 1 Tac, 1 Eng, 3 Sci; T5 refit: 2 Tac, 3 Eng, 4 Sci (Fleet: 2 Tac, 4 Eng, 4 Sci)
I had a well detailed set of stats for T5, but they were on my Laptop which is currently busted.

Special abilities or console
Since it will be a science ship, it goes without saying that target subsystems will be part of the package.

The cloak is a more interesting question. Should it be a standard cloak, or a battlecloak? in "The Next Phase" (TNG), the ship was being used as a testbed for an Interphase Generator. The story was that it phased the ship when it was cloaked so that the ship could move through objects. Should the ship have the power to move through other ships and terrain while cloaked? That could certainly be a console power, possibly for the T5 version. The question being that it can only be used on the Science ship or on all Romulan ships?

The Romulans in the episode repaid the Enterprise by initiating a Muon Feedback Wave. This would cause the Warp engines to explode if the ship went to warp. I could see this being another console power, but how to encapsulate it? My recommendation is that it cause a plasma-like burn where damage over time is some combination (addition or multiplication) of engine power and impulse speed. This could be the T3 power, and could the console be used on all Romulan ships or just the Science ship?

Last edited by davidwford; 09-16-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Commander
# 2
09-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Moving through things isnt likely possible (at least not without severe glitches, which are the last thing STO needs more of) with the game engine we've got.

However, there's another way the phase cloak could be integrated - a lot of times, when you use cloaking in combat (battle cloaking, that is), you're under active attack by enemies. There will be energy weapons and torpedoes, mines, or other projectiles all coming for you. On my romulan character, fighting the tal shiar, I cant count the number of times I've tried to use my battle cloak only to have my shields drop and then get hit by a heavy plasma torp before I went fully invisible - not to mention that projectiles seem to continue following you even after you've completely cloaked, and will still impact your ship.
Also, for those few seconds before you completely cloak, your ship is left extremely vulnerable to energy weapons, which can still target you.

So, how could the phase cloak work? Simple - it makes you immune to any incoming attacks when attempting to cloak, allowing you to cloak while in combat without fear of your lowered shields making you vulnerable to enemy attacks or projectiles that have already been launched. These attacks and projectiles would simply pass through your ship as the cloak activates.

Also, while cloaked, the phase cloak could make you immune to damage from incoming attacks or effects - though attacks would cause your ship to decloak, so as to keep balance in pvp. What this means is that if you're cloaked and sneaking up on an enemy in pvp, and they see you while you're cloaked and initiate an attack, the attack will deal no damage (it will pass through you), but your cloaking device will begin to disengage due to the attack.
Career Officer
# 3
09-17-2013, 04:00 AM
There is already a phase out console that removes collision for the duration that can be fit on any warbird. You get it on the D'ridthau.
Rihannsu
# 4
09-17-2013, 01:30 PM
The TNG Romulan science ship is in the game as a skin for the Commander's Gig.

I really hope they add some thing new and not use cost cutting TNG unscaled scoutship with a different bow.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Captain
# 5
09-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlamstrike View Post
The TNG Romulan science ship is in the game as a skin for the Commander's Gig.

I really hope they add some thing new and not use cost cutting TNG unscaled scoutship with a different bow.
The Science ship from "The Next Phase", or the Scout Ship from "The Defector"? It would make sense if the Scout Ship was the Veteran reward shuttle.
Rihannsu
# 6
09-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwford View Post
The Science ship from "The Next Phase", or the Scout Ship from "The Defector"? It would make sense if the Scout Ship was the Veteran reward shuttle.
The Romulan Vet Reward shuttle (Commanders Gig) comes with two skins, the Scoutship from "The Defector" and the Science ship from "The Next Phase". IRL both ships used the same model with alterations, with the Science Ship being unscaled to appear larger on screen.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Captain
# 7
09-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlamstrike View Post
The Romulan Vet Reward shuttle (Commanders Gig) comes with two skins, the Scoutship from "The Defector" and the Science ship from "The Next Phase". IRL both ships used the same model with alterations, with the Science Ship being unscaled to appear larger on screen.
"Is that an offer or is that a joke?" -Cyrano Jones
"That's an offer." -K7 bartender
"That's a joke!" -Cyrano Jones

-From "The Troble with Tribbles" (TOS)

THAT"S A JOKE CRYPTIC!!!!!

For several reasons. I can understand the scout ship being a shuttle/small craft. The Science ship is not. Yes, it was the same model redressed. They SPECIFICALLY made sure in that episode that the ship was much bigger through forced perspective such that the Science ship was about 1/3 the size of the Galaxy-class Enterprise-D. The dialoge also indicates that there is a significant number of personnel on the ship making MUCH larger than some small craft.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Romulan_science_vessel

From another point, Talon class is but one of the names for the scout ship which I would be content with(others being Theta and Lanora). The Science ship should NOT share the same class name as the scout ship.
Captain
# 8
09-18-2013, 05:12 PM
If they give us a new Science Vessel (and they should, considering they just upgraded the Tactical Warbird to an Armitage), it needs to have it's base turn at 12.

They owe Science for this due to the Ha'Pax -> Ha'Nom Cop-Out.
Captain
# 9
09-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Heck, I would support having two versions of the ship. I would tolerate the science ship's nose part on the scout ship if they would have a full sized Science ship named the Apnex-class. For further customization, they could have the solid wings, hollow wings, and top "sail" wings.
Rihannsu
# 10
09-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by telbasta7386 View Post
Moving through things isnt likely possible (at least not without severe glitches, which are the last thing STO needs more of) with the game engine we've got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldritchx View Post
There is already a phase out console that removes collision for the duration that can be fit on any warbird. You get it on the D'ridthau.
There's already two ships that can Phase. The other being the insanely awesome Tactical-sci-2-hanger-beast of a Kar'Fi.

Idea: Redress the Kar'fi in a Romulan skin, release as romulan carrier. You've got your commander level sci, good maneuverability, plenty of kill-power, phasing and general awesomeness.

Seriously, the Kar'Fi is massively underused...