Ensign
# 21
09-21-2013, 01:45 AM
cause filter thinks its letters, not numbers.
its a racist word.

i wonder why number 80085 is censored, but 8008135 isnt.

Last edited by bortens; 09-21-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Captain
# 22
09-21-2013, 06:30 AM
Names, I understand. What I can't figure out is why we have to use NCC numbers in the 90000s. There's an NCC-1701-F, why not an NCC-1705-F?
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

Crafting, Exploration and Interaction as it should be:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1108521
Captain
# 23
09-21-2013, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelmarik View Post
Names, I understand. What I can't figure out is why we have to use NCC numbers in the 90000s. There's an NCC-1701-F, why not an NCC-1705-F?
First, not every ship name was important enough to get rechristened onto a new ship every few decades. Thus most ships in Starfleet don't have A, B, C designations.

As far as why that number range, it was discussed pre-Launch and had to do with CBS reserving specific numbers for future series or some-such, so these numbers were implemented by CBS to cause no conflict with anything official they might do at some point in the future.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
# 24
09-21-2013, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by questerius View Post
Also check the urban dictionary.
Haha, I did just that, and damn! Who knew?
Career Officer
# 25
09-21-2013, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomagnus View Post
Okay, thank you. Finally, a response that's an answer rather than an assumption that I actually typed "U.S.S." in the name field instead of considering the possibility that I was referring to the ship as having the prefix...
Nice attitude. Very inducive of ppl trying to come up with suggestions next time.

Also, you're just assuming yourself. Someone mentioned "The filter includes the USS for some reason." To which I replied:

I'm not sure they do. But would be nice if they did, actually: Registry designations should not be part of what you call your ship; otherwise you get fugly things like "U.S.S. U.S.S. Crane."

On-Topic: I think the filter went a little overboard: just because some urban punk found a way to abuse a perfectly normal word, to express his own sexual obsession, doesn't mean PWE should follow suit, and start filtering on perfectly legit terms. What's next?! We're gonna filter the name of Dr. Crane ("Frasier") now too?!
Commander
# 26
09-21-2013, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by senatorvreenak View Post
Which quite frankly is ridiculous.
Enterprise is not a proprietary IP name, neither Paramount or CBS have any legal claim to it whatsoever.
yeah technally as far as i know the u.s navy has those rights for it's carriers and the shuttle surprised cbs and paramont don't try to sue them lawl
Commander
# 27
09-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Supposidly, Paramount corp back in the day tried to stop the Navy from selling "USS Enterprise" merchensise, nevermind they'd been using the name since the Navy was created. I don't know how much of this is real or not, but it's out there.
I send three purple diplomats on a simple gift exchange and they blow it...
I send three white bartenders on a three day wilderness training exercise and the crit it...
Captain
# 28
09-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Even the U.S. Navy does not have any rights to the name.
Its a too common and too old name, used by many old sail ships, American, British and French alike.(In fact Enterprise is originally a word from Old French.)
Career Officer
# 29
09-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerxhyper View Post
yeah technally as far as i know the u.s navy has those rights for it's carriers and the shuttle surprised cbs and paramont don't try to sue them lawl
The fans getting the shuttle named Enterprise was unintentionally a huge publicity coup for the Star Trek IP. Only Disney would be stupid enough to sue over that.
Captain
# 30
09-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopwithsnipe View Post
The fans getting the shuttle named Enterprise was unintentionally a huge publicity coup for the Star Trek IP. Only Disney would be stupid enough to sue over that.
Or Games Workshop.