Survivor of Romulus
I can't understand why this thing is so squishy. Compared to my mirror Sovereign, it has more hull rating (55000 on mouseover), a higher shield modifier and a better turn rate. Yet, before I can even react with a science or engineering ability, I'm dead. I'm talking blue shields to 0 hull in the span of an instant! I've died so fast at the start of Conduit with it once (literally one second after engagement) I had to check to make sure my purple mark 12 covieart [Pla] shields were even equipped.

I get that being a tactical scim, it isn't going to have the endurance of an engi scim, but with higher hull and shield modifiers, shouldn't it at least take as many hits as my other cruisers? At least with my mirror sovereign my shields went from blue, to yellow to red, actually giving me time to react with emergency power to shields or transfer shield strength. With the scimitar it's just BAM! Warp core breech.
Captain
# 2
09-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnikku View Post
I can't understand why this thing is so squishy. Compared to my mirror Sovereign, it has more hull rating (55000 on mouseover), a higher shield modifier and a better turn rate. Yet, before I can even react with a science or engineering ability, I'm dead. I'm talking blue shields to 0 hull in the span of an instant! I've died so fast at the start of Conduit with it once (literally one second after engagement) I had to check to make sure my purple mark 12 covieart [Pla] shields were even equipped.

I get that being a tactical scim, it isn't going to have the endurance of an engi scim, but with higher hull and shield modifiers, shouldn't it at least take as many hits as my other cruisers? At least with my mirror sovereign my shields went from blue, to yellow to red, actually giving me time to react with emergency power to shields or transfer shield strength. With the scimitar it's just BAM! Warp core breech.
First off we need your build to be able to advise you

Second don't use the three console set

Third you need tot use armor on this ship

Fourth and most importantly this is not a fed cruiser it doesn't have a commander engineering BOFF which means no it will not take as many hits as a fed cruiser it's because it has a high hull that it suffer sometimes squishy performance

Post your build and let's see
----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====----
Commander
# 3
09-21-2013, 11:40 AM
one thing to help with is minding your surroundings as a scimmy pilot myself i have died far to often to the sheer size the scimmy has namely to warp core breeches. since you are literally the biggest playable ship in the game you really need to watch the surroundings for exploding ships and enemy ships shooting at you.

second if you feel like you are taking too much heat cloak and wait for it to pass or cloak barrage since cloaking as well as venting the singularity charge will make it almost impossible for the enemy to see you and you can escape and heal.

third make full use of shield heals the more you have the harder it will be to fall the Valdore console really helps in this along with TSS EPtS and Quantum absorption all of which i use to keep the shields up and some extra hull to take a beating.

the scimmy may have low healing abilities but having a sense of your surroundings greatly improves a scimitars life in the field as well as constantly keeping the shields up since you have very little hull healing unless you dump the uni into eng.
Captain
# 4
09-21-2013, 11:46 AM
As stated previously, if you put your build, it's easier to help.
However, to me there is one or two things you need to learn with the Scimitar; plan ahead and don't push it. Fire, go away (cloak), go at it again, etc...
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
09-21-2013, 12:53 PM
I don't think people quite understood what exactly I said in my original post. I'm not dying for a lack of having that right engineer or science ability to fall back on because I get killed before I can react fast enough to use anything. If my mirror sovereign got hit this hard this fast on a regular basis it wouldn't even matter that the ship can accommodate reverse shield polarity 2, by the time it drew a targets attention, it'd be dead. I don't have my whole spec/gear in front of me atm, I'll post it in detail when I get home. Off the top of my head my gear is something like

4 fore plasma dual beam banks, 1 plasma torp. 2 plasma beam arrays and 1 plasma torp aft.
Combat impulse engines [turn]
Positron Deflector [buffs shields/hull]
resilient shield array [cap] [pla] (7k capacity, 190 regen, 20% reduced plasma damage I think)
Field Stabilizing singularity core (forget mod name, it resists shield drain)
Subspace field generator/red matter capacitor/weapons battery/shield battery for devices
Engineer consoles: two fleet mk11 rcs turn/kinetic resist/energy resist
Science: Field generator/shield emitter/assimilated module
Tactical: 5 plasma energy buffers (plasma inducer?)

Cmd Tac: Full Spread Torpedoes, Beam fire at will, attack pat beta, attack pat omega 3
Lt Cmd Uni: Engineering team, Emer Pow two shields, Reverse shield polarity
Lt Eng: Engineering team, Aux 2 battery
Lt Science: Hazard Emitters, overtime shield heal (forget the name)
ensign uni: Tactical Team
Captain
# 6
09-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Those 7K shields, are 7K base, or do you have 7k shields at the engagement (ship stats)?

EDIT: Do you engage with TT on, and are you starting with FAW?

Last edited by fmgtorres1979; 09-21-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Captain
# 7
09-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnikku View Post
I don't think people quite understood what exactly I said in my original post. I'm not dying for a lack of having that right engineer or science ability to fall back on because I get killed before I can react fast enough to use anything. If my mirror sovereign got hit this hard this fast on a regular basis it wouldn't even matter that the ship can accommodate reverse shield polarity 2, by the time it drew a targets attention, it'd be dead. I don't have my whole spec/gear in front of me atm, I'll post it in detail when I get home. Off the top of my head my gear is something like

4 fore plasma dual beam banks, 1 plasma torp. 2 plasma beam arrays and 1 plasma torp aft.
Combat impulse engines [turn]
Positron Deflector [buffs shields/hull]
resilient shield array [cap] [pla] (7k capacity, 190 regen, 20% reduced plasma damage I think)
Field Stabilizing singularity core (forget mod name, it resists shield drain)
Subspace field generator/red matter capacitor/weapons battery/shield battery for devices
Engineer consoles: two fleet mk11 rcs turn/kinetic resist/energy resist
Science: Field generator/shield emitter/assimilated module
Tactical: 5 plasma energy buffers (plasma inducer?)

Cmd Tac: Full Spread Torpedoes, Beam fire at will, attack pat beta, attack pat omega 3
Lt Cmd Uni: Engineering team, Emer Pow two shields, Reverse shield polarity
Lt Eng: Engineering team, Aux 2 battery
Lt Science: Hazard Emitters, overtime shield heal (forget the name)
ensign uni: Tactical Team
You don't seem a million miles away I would personally get the valdore console

Drop engineering team

Get epts3 this will up your survivability by a lot

Drop aux to bat unless your running and aux to bat build its useless

I run a an aid to bat build with all cannons I used to have survivability problems but after learning how to attack and fade(which is how it was used in the film) and getting epts3 and getting te valdore console my problems seem to reduce
----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====----
Commander
# 8
09-21-2013, 01:24 PM
hull strength may be high, but overall you have less resistences due to less power to allocate. self heals are lower, overall shield bonus resists are lower then a fed or klingon ship.

doubling up on tac team (TT1 is fine x2) helps, and firing them off constantly, you do not want to try and hull tank. the console from the falchion is another survival tool, if you bought the whole set. HE as well if you're running a lot of borg stf's clears that shield drain and plasma fires, 2 copies. plasma not so dangerous, the shield drain can be fatal though.

run 2 falchion scims, tac and sci, sci managed to tank bugged out unimatrix's in onslaught probably indefinetly if a lance hadn't got her. (gave up when a lance hit her again, 13k out, cloaked at full impulse...so much for HO being fixed) cycling through tac teams, HE's, epts, rsp and singularity quantum absorption makes it a very hard to kill ship. any ship for that matter with that setup.

and don't be afraid to use evasive look for incoming torps and then cloak, gets you out of the fight, allows cd's to finish so you can heal, and then you can decloak and get the def bonus as well as boost to firepower

romulan you have to fight differently, i don't like a lot of the things they did introducing them, but they are different from the kling/fed and require more thought, that i like.
Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
Career Officer
# 9
09-21-2013, 03:13 PM
You are dying to warp core breaches that you are not used to avoiding in such a large ship. That's all. Your inertia tends to carry you into range as well, which makes the problem worse. Learn to avoid them, and pre-empt with Brace For Impact when it's unavoidable.

Also, the advice about the Valdore's console is solid. No warbird should be without it, really. 1k Zen.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
09-21-2013, 04:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7-CVu4RiKM

this is how you use a scimitar. be smart

looking at your build I recommend you get a 2nd tact team and keep those both on cooldown. more than anything else that will give you the time you need to react. also reverse shield polarity has a bad rep but against borg after being hit with a shield neutralizer it can really save your skin. don't need the valdore's console, just play smart and stay aware of your location

Last edited by wardcalis; 09-21-2013 at 04:10 PM.