Lieutenant
# 11
09-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by szerontzur View Post
It is a bit concerning and I hope the fabled crafting revamp will come soon to help breathe life back into the economy for newer players/characters.
most posts here I think are a little off the mark. However, this one makes sense. If PWE would revamp the crafting system and make those items viable alternatives at least to dilithium item procurement, it would help the noobs, which I am. I had no idea how to craft, until I played Fed. And the items you can create are second rate.

And we do level too quick. I started playing in late August, already have my Romulan maxed out on level and gear. My Ferengi is already mid 20s and I barely play him. So the market isn't terrible, it's supply and demand. For lower level, like others have said, just go with mission rewards.
Captain
# 12
09-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Join a fleet, contribute a while after you get store access (at VA only) fill out and fly with style... "I win button" for the economy.

my join date was 02/03/2010 Kintisho 5,667,083(19,081)-ISA-
also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRATXezr_Tg
Captain
# 13
09-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panserbjorne39 View Post
I'm not claiming conspiracy, because I don't think there is one at all. However the fact is that are a large group of "merchant" players who's sole purpose in the game is to corner the market on every desired item they can and raise the prices to gouge-my-butt levels.

The prices on the exchange are insane right now compared to when I started just a few months ago.

I think our only option is to just not buy the stuff until the prices come back down to reasonable levels.
Agreed on the first point. When there are ship prices consistently in the 100+ million EC range, you already know things have gotten WAY beyond insane. As far as your final point goes: Good luck on that one. I thought that DIL/ZEN conversion prices would drop after the try-your-luck-and-see-if-you'll-win-a-JHAS thing ended ... WRONG. It went temporarily down to about 122 and then right back up to at least 126. I figure I can always spend what little DIL I have (I'm on the poor end of things in STO) on doffs, etc. by mostly avoiding the Exchange (I use it to buy white doffs as needed, and never for more than 40K EC each). I wasted enough DIL on the JHAS thing and the only bonus stuff I got from 275 DIL x 4 attempts was a total of 40 lobi. Yay. No thanks. And since there's no other way to get a JHAS except WAY overpriced on the Exchange, I guess I can live without a JHAS for the indefinite future.
Commander
# 14
09-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Greed is everywhere. The current prices in the exchange make any deal a ripoff.
It takes me over a month of grinding non stop to make enough money to get one mkXII tac weapon console so I don't bother. The whole exchange is getting way overpriced.

We are all behaving like greedy Ferengi. Gene would be so proud.....
We Are The Borg. Lower Your Shields And Surrender Your Ships. Your Technological And Biological Distinctiveness Will Be Added To Our Own. You Will Adapt Yourself To Service The Collective. Our Survival Is Your Survival. You Will Be Assimilated. Resistance Is Futile.

Cut off one head; two more shall take its place. HEIL HYDRA!
Captain
# 15
09-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothervisitor View Post
We are all behaving like greedy Ferengi. Gene would be so proud.....
Every time I see someone say this I realize they have no clue who Gene really was. Gene licensed everything he could like a banshee. He put his name on everything he could just finagle his way into so he could get royalties for it. Never assume the man's beliefs had anything to do with what he created. Gene was a double-barreled capitalist who loved, loved, loved money.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Rihannsu
# 16
09-21-2013, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnikku View Post
109 dil per zen a month ago, 127 dil per zen today.
When I first started playing, it was generally about 350 dil per zen. Oh how I miss that :'(
# 17
09-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panserbjorne39 View Post
I'm not claiming conspiracy, because I don't think there is one at all. However the fact is that are a large group of "merchant" players who's sole purpose in the game is to corner the market on every desired item they can and raise the prices to gouge-my-butt levels.
The prices on the exchange are insane right now compared to when I started just a few months ago.
I think our only option is to just not buy the stuff until the prices come back down to reasonable levels.
While I will admit that I am a Merchant player that has hundreds of millions tied up at the moment, I must say the vast majority of what I have, I am holding and waiting for prices to RISE. It seems like quite a few things are actually below their average selling price, while a few select items are priced really high. Fleet Modules, Keys, certain Doffs, Lock Box ships for example.

You folks that whine about the grind need to learn how to the EC you have and make more of it. What most people grind in a week, I pull down in a few hours.

Work Smart, not hard. If you don't want to take the time to work smart then you are going to be forced to work hard. Don't cry about it.
Captain
# 18
09-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Why shouldn't ships be over 100m? It's not like theres a ship tree out there. People spend real money on keys at a mere chance to win these ships.
Commander
# 19
09-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Every time I see someone say this I realize they have no clue who Gene really was. Gene licensed everything he could like a banshee. He put his name on everything he could just finagle his way into so he could get royalties for it. Never assume the man's beliefs had anything to do with what he created. Gene was a double-barreled capitalist who loved, loved, loved money.
The man wrote lyrics to the Star Trek theme AFTER the music was written precisely so he could get a cut of those royalties as well heheheheh... Yep, yep, yep...

And just what's wrong with being capitalist down to one's toenails?
ZOE: "Sir! You paid money for this?... on purpose??"

KIRK: "Excuse me... what does God need with a starship?"
Captain
# 20
09-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by similon View Post
When I first started playing, it was generally about 350 dil per zen. Oh how I miss that :'(
Thank God I wasn't on STO back then, then. Yeesh!

"You can't take it with you" as the old saying went. I add: "You can't take what you've earned on STO offline." It isn't real. So what's the point of being greedy about it? Okay, a Ferengi would argue the point with me. But I believe all us players are human, not Ferengi.