Put a begginning of mine in the forums.

Feedback is appreciated!

Loved what is there already.
Captain
# 32
09-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnaroslyn View Post
Posted the first part of my contribution I've chosen to do Literary Challenge #41 - Call to Arms. I've simplified and spiced it up a bit, if that makes sense. It's going to be a two-parter, because it's already getting quite long and I think I need a break now after spending literally the whole day writing.

All and any feedback is welcome!
If ever there was a need for a commanding officer to be relieved of duty, this would be it... Emotionally compromised, unprofessional behaviour, this has all the makings of a good mutiny
Captain
# 33
09-21-2013, 09:36 PM
And the Bedford has been launched.
-------------------------------------------

"You're as crazy as the people on Twitter!" - Samuel L. Jackson
Starfleet Veteran
# 34
09-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
And the Bedford has been launched.
Very nice, and I like the fact that the derisive nickname really isn't all that bad (compared to the Bastard and the Herpes, Bedpan actually sounds downright tame).

The new BOffs are fun, too.

I definitely look forward to seeing the Bedpan in a mission or two, though what I really want to know is what ship he commands next, what its name is, and what its derisive nickname is.
Originally KiraYamato before the Account Linking - True Join Date August 2008

"In the game of war, there are no clear rules you can follow." - Andrew Waltfeld
Ensign
# 35
09-22-2013, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
If ever there was a need for a commanding officer to be relieved of duty, this would be it... Emotionally compromised, unprofessional behaviour, this has all the makings of a good mutiny
Oh, tell me about it... I don't think anybody on that ship can even spell mutiny anymore, though.
Career Officer
# 36
09-22-2013, 02:58 AM
[shamelessplug] The Dark Horses - Act Two is now posted for your reading pleasure. [/shamelessplug]

Looking forward to getting some reading done tomorrow! (Or tonight? What time is it...)
Captain
# 37
09-22-2013, 01:11 PM
I decided to revisit a topic touched upon in the first redux challenge, I hope people will enjoy it.

For ease of reference/visualization, here're the actors I would cast if I was filming this tomorrow...

Selek - Bill Milner
Marcus Kane - Asa Butterfield
Alix Kane - Shyloh Oostwald
Vonik - Lorenzo James Henrie
Stann - Colby Paul
Serrak - Cody Klop
Tuvok - Tim Russ
Tonnek - Mark Strong
Semok - Michael Sheen
Sovak - Tony Amendola
T'Reya - Emily Ratajkowski
Paul Kane - Chris Noth
T'Jenn - Famke Janssen
T'Mell - Carey Lowell
Rebecca Kane - Mimi Rogers
T'Lami - Marion Cotillard

Last edited by marcusdkane; 09-23-2013 at 02:42 AM. Reason: adding link to previous entry
Captain
# 38
09-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Excellent as always, Marcus. And, "Sprunk: The taste of things to come!" (at least until the car goes through the billboard...)

Captain
# 39
09-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Excellent as always, Marcus. And, "Sprunk: The taste of things to come!" (at least until the car goes through the billboard...)
Thanks, I was considering going with Slurm, but given GTA V's release, thought I'd keep it topical Really enjoyed your entry as well Did Vov keep hold of the Supercomputer, or has Mycroft been forced to downgrade his accommodations aboard the bedpan?
Captain
# 40
09-23-2013, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Did Vov keep hold of the Supercomputer, or has Mycroft been forced to downgrade his accommodations aboard the bedpan?
Dangit, I knew I left something out. Maybe I should go put that into the story, but the supercomputer stayed aboard the Herpes. However, Starfleet did have to buy the salvage rights from Vovonek, for a sum of GPL.

Not sure the new accommodations are that much of a downgrade, though; all the systems of the Bedpan are properly integrated, unlike Vov's improvised system, and it is the very latest in Federation computer technology (along with holoprojectors in most areas of the ship, so Mycroft can project his avatar as desired!).

As a side note, I started giving the ships derogatory nicknames in imitation of a tradition I've seen in the US Navy, where sailors often mock their own craft. The carrier USS Kitty Hawk, for instance, is variously known as the Kitty Litter or the Sh*tty Kitty; the carrier USS Enterprise was sometimes known as the Enterprison prior to her retirement (it also picked up the nicknames "Big E" and "Fleet Starship"); the submarine USS Gato, decommissioned in 1996, was often called the Ghetto; and so forth. (After looking up one of the above examples, I also found what I think is my favorite pair of nicknames. In 1975, the guided-missile frigate USS Belknap collided with the carrier USS John F. Kennedy in foggy conditions; after that, the Belknap became known as the Belcrash, while the Kennedy became the Can Opener.)

Edit: After perusing this list, I was amused to find that the Enterprise, the first nuclear-powered carrier in the US fleet, was also known as Mobile Chernobyl and Three-Quarter-Mile Island.

Last edited by jonsills; 09-23-2013 at 07:26 AM.