Commander
# 11
09-22-2013, 01:20 AM
I completely agree with the comparsion between JJTrek and Star Trek Online, so I don't understand why someone playing and enjoying STO as we do could complain about JJ's, which is nothing but a visual tribute to the old trek (while on the contrary, STO is very ugly...). And taking it as it is, a visual tribute, you can only be delighted, or maybe you shouldnt, but I do and I love JJ's Trek in all his visual details, from the beginning to the ending credits which are awesome (maybe the best of the movies? lol).

Plot is terrible and full of holes, of course. SW's prequels too, but at least JJ doesnt pretend he has a good plot resulting in a boring and embarrasing experience as SW's prequels, he only fills the movie with awesome visuals. So yeah, I'm waiting for his new SW too xD
[That's it, Spanish and/or Hispanic Fleet]
L'Ter@lotherus - Alien Sci Officer - Wells/Destroyer
(No quiero mas reputaciones - No more rep!)
Captain
# 12
09-22-2013, 01:37 AM
Speaking as a 30-something-year-old Star Trek fan, whom watched ST from season 3 of TNG-on... I loved the movie. I simply do not understand how so many people could take the TWOK homages as "ripoffs" so easily.

Then again, I'm also a life-long Transformers fan who loved Revenge of The Fallen, so what do I know? =p

Helpful Tools: Dictionary.com - Logical fallacies - Random generator - Word generator - Color tool - Extra Credits - List of common English language errors - Big booty tutorial - Also, follow me on Twitter!
Rihannsu
# 13
09-22-2013, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeitis View Post
Speaking as a 30-something-year-old Star Trek fan, whom watched ST from season 3 of TNG-on... I loved the movie. I simply do not understand how so many people could take the TWOK homages as "ripoffs" so easily.
I enjoyed the homage. It showing you that even in an alternate universe these two characters would both do the exact same thing to save the ship by sacrificing themselves. if spock has 'died' again then i dont think i would have liked it. but the switch is what made it work.

i thought that was really clever and did not see it as a rip off but as a deliberate way to keep the new trek tied to the old one.

i do see how people might feel that its just copying what went before and would rather see something totally different but it worked for me.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
Captain
# 15
09-22-2013, 08:01 AM
the actors did a great job in keeping the character mannerisms true to the ones I've loved since the late 60's

Pine got Kirk down great ... even the way he sat in the chair was in reference to the way Shatner did it.

Well done homages IMO.

# 16
09-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgta1967 View Post
the actors did a great job in keeping the character mannerisms true to the ones I've loved since the late 60's

Pine got Kirk down great ... even the way he sat in the chair was in reference to the way Shatner did it.

Well done homages IMO.

I like your fanboy face avatar <(OMG a sequal!) XD
Current state of STO "video link"

How Picard dealt with ARC! ...STO
Captain
# 17
09-22-2013, 08:28 AM

yes, I am a fan. Enjoyed every action packed minute of it.

I am also thrilled the Star Trek genre has been opened up for my 7 yr old daughter as well..... These two movies were her introduction to Star Trek.

She likes it so much that we have watched all of DS9, half of TNG and quite a few ToS, Ent and Voy episodes on Netflix since. What a wonderful thing !

I ask, "what should we watch tonight?" .... she replies "I want to see Data !".

There are few things better than spending Trek-time with my little girl.

# 18
09-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgta1967 View Post

yes, I am a fan. Enjoyed every action packed minute of it.

I am also thrilled the Star Trek genre has been opened up for my 7 yr old daughter as well..... These two movies were her introduction to Star Trek.

She likes it so much that we have watched all of DS9, half of TNG and quite a few ToS, Ent and Voy episodes on Netflix since. What a wonderful thing !

I ask, "what should we watch tonight?" .... she replies "I want to see Data !".

There are few things better than spending Trek-time with my little girl.

What got me into Trek was when UPN began showing the TNG reruns, ive been a TNG fan ever since, and why when I first started to play my first question was, when do I get a Galaxy class (Not wheres Admiral Quinns office ). STO was my first MMO thats why I added the STO to the end of my name, this game is my MMO roots! I have proudly displayed this name across the net as my identity. But in honor of the TOS saga, I made James T Cat too. I havent actually seen into darkness yet, i hear good and bad things about it but the 2009 version I did like, it was more old school sci fi then trek to me though. But the new Uhura does look so much more prettier ^^

I still think there should be a an all cat version, im currently working on a childrens book using an all cat crew, if the publisher takes it I will make more and still keep the name CatStarSTO because it all started with my Caitian in THIS game!

Captain
# 19
09-22-2013, 09:33 AM
If you just ignore the Roddenberry Trek while watching it, JJ Trek is pretty darn good. Into Darkness was great in my opinion...

...but only so far. I enjoyed the little S31 reference and the TWOK stuff, but when it got to Kirk dying and Spock shouting Khaaaaaan, it just felt too much like a direct copy. Kirk's death also just felt totally unneeded. There was not much of an emotional effect since he's magically brought back to life by a doctor who plays with dead tribbles in his spare time (I loved that they put a tribble in the movie, at least).

Oh, and transwarp transporters. That seemed like "We need an excuse to get Khan to Qo'nos".
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Imperfection - a prequel to Ashkrik23's Perfection
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)
Career Officer
# 20
09-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Transwarp teleports! :O

...somehow I picture the planetary transporter pad systems from Galaxy Quest, hmm.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!" (Tim Allen shakes from emotional trama) XD

I may have to have a look after all, im curious on how he managed to crash the enterprise into earth =O.o= "Other way mate!"