Login

Lieutenant
# 21
09-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustafatennick View Post
Not too far from te truth

Except the 2 set bonuses has nothing to do with ambush

The 2 set bonus enables a 2 boost to turn rate all the time regardless of ambush
Except, it actually does have everything to do with ambush. You gain turn rate in cloak, and the two piece set allows you to keep that increase in turn rate while ambush is active ON TOP of the two increase all the time.

The Scimitar can't tank like a Fed cruiser but I have no trouble standing up to a Tac cube if my abilities are off cooldown. Core breaches mess this ship up bad though, thats for sure.
Captain
# 22
09-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Survival as Scimitar 101:

Lesson 1:
Positioning.

Never stay where your target has the ability to hit you with the most weapons. You have a battle cloak. And this ship moves like crazy while cloaked. Take advantage of that fact. And DO NOT be afraid to cloak and run. Screw valor. Staying alive is much more helpful to your team and your score than being a dead hero.

Lesson 2:
Engaging Your Target.

HIT AND FADE. Do not go toe to toe with a target. You decloak, remove their face, and then recloak ASAP. Then rinse and repeat. And since you have the Singularity Distribution Console, this is facilitated greatly, since your shields stay up while you are cloaked.

Lesson 3:
Basic Survival with ANY Ship:

Two copies of Tactical Team 1. Two copies of Emergency Power to Shields 1. One copy of Hazard Emitters 1. One copy of Transfer Shield Strength 1 or better. One copy of Auxiliary to the Structural Integrity Field 1 or better. Cycle the above abilities (more specifically the TT and EPtS), and you will have no problems staying alive. Also, use your secondary shields. They are very helpful.

Also, Neutronium Alloy mk XI is quite useful, and atm very cheap on the exchange.

Lesson 4:
If It's Already Dead, It Can't Hurt You

The whole idea behind the tactical version of the Dreadnought Warbird is that you basically vaporize everything in front of you before it can damage you. It's not a tank. It was never meant to tank. It was meant to kill. And if you kill your target in the opening seconds of combat, it can't hurt you!

Hopefully this helps. Class dismissed!
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Survivor of Romulus
# 23
09-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Survival as Scimitar 101:

Lesson 1:
Positioning.

Never stay where your target has the ability to hit you with the most weapons. You have a battle cloak. And this ship moves like crazy while cloaked. Take advantage of that fact. And DO NOT be afraid to cloak and run. Screw valor. Staying alive is much more helpful to your team and your score than being a dead hero.

Lesson 2:
Engaging Your Target.

HIT AND FADE. Do not go toe to toe with a target. You decloak, remove their face, and then recloak ASAP. Then rinse and repeat. And since you have the Singularity Distribution Console, this is facilitated greatly, since your shields stay up while you are cloaked.

Lesson 3:
Basic Survival with ANY Ship:

Two copies of Tactical Team 1. Two copies of Emergency Power to Shields 1. One copy of Hazard Emitters 1. One copy of Transfer Shield Strength 1 or better. One copy of Auxiliary to the Structural Integrity Field 1 or better. Cycle the above abilities (more specifically the TT and EPtS), and you will have no problems staying alive. Also, use your secondary shields. They are very helpful.

Also, Neutronium Alloy mk XI is quite useful, and atm very cheap on the exchange.

Lesson 4:
If It's Already Dead, It Can't Hurt You

The whole idea behind the tactical version of the Dreadnought Warbird is that you basically vaporize everything in front of you before it can damage you. It's not a tank. It was never meant to tank. It was meant to kill. And if you kill your target in the opening seconds of combat, it can't hurt you!

Hopefully this helps. Class dismissed!
eh, Scimitars can tank pretty well if you do 2 things.

#1 have 2 tact teams and alternate them on cooldown.
#2 favor shield healing over hull healing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7-CVu4RiKM

this is an example of a scimitar 2 peice set doing monster damage and though he doesn't take much damage the build can obviously survive
Captain
# 24
09-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardcalis View Post

this is an example of a scimitar 2 peice set doing monster damage and though he doesn't take much damage the build can obviously survive
The only negative is that Scimitars still seem to take an oddly high amount of hull damage compared to other ships with exactly the same equipment setup. I know why my Scimitar doesn't tank well, and that's because I only run one armor console. I know I'm a mite squishy, so I play as such. But even with two armor consoles, for some reason it still seems to take more hull damage than my fleet defiant under the same circumstances and equipment. I even have the same accolades. It's odd, but manageable.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Commander
# 25
09-23-2013, 12:35 AM
Quote:
The only negative is that Scimitars still seem to take an oddly high amount of hull damage compared to other ships with exactly the same equipment setup. I know why my Scimitar doesn't tank well, and that's because I only run one armor console. I know I'm a mite squishy, so I play as such. But even with two armor consoles, for some reason it still seems to take more hull damage than my fleet defiant under the same circumstances and equipment. I even have the same accolades. It's odd, but manageable.
there's a tradeoff, that -40 counts for a lot, your fed or kdf ship has 40 more power to allocate, so cranking weapons high doesn't drain the other sub systems as much as it does a romulan ship. shields get bonuses to strength and resists at higher power levels, that counts for bleed through too.

to equal the output power of a fed or kdf for weapons, you're draining engines, which is bonus defense, shields which is resists, or aux which is heals. and no matter what you do, you're still going to be short somewhere compared to the other factions ships. even heals that give bonus resist are affected by aux power :\

everything is about power. the counter balance and one saving grace is the boffs with operative trait. and decloak +def you can actually run weap power a bit lower and rely on crits if you spec into the skill to get some extra bonuses. not perfect, but gives you a bit more leeway in adjusting power levels.
Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
Survivor of Remus
# 26
09-23-2013, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardcalis View Post

Only problem artillery builds like that have is that's all they're good at - shooting stationary things. Throw it in something like SB24 and it's fairly useless, compared to a DHC or beamboat scimitar. Not too great on response intercepting either (other side's probes for example).

Peacekeeper High Command
Bylar Crais - Zelbinion IV
Scorpius - R.R.W. Kharibdyss
Survivor of Remus
# 27
09-23-2013, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspacex64 View Post
there's a tradeoff, that -40 counts for a lot, your fed or kdf ship has 40 more power to allocate, so cranking weapons high doesn't drain the other sub systems as much as it does a romulan ship. shields get bonuses to strength and resists at higher power levels, that counts for bleed through too.

to equal the output power of a fed or kdf for weapons, you're draining engines, which is bonus defense, shields which is resists, or aux which is heals. and no matter what you do, you're still going to be short somewhere compared to the other factions ships. even heals that give bonus resist are affected by aux power :\

everything is about power. the counter balance and one saving grace is the boffs with operative trait. and decloak +def you can actually run weap power a bit lower and rely on crits if you spec into the skill to get some extra bonuses. not perfect, but gives you a bit more leeway in adjusting power levels.
That i believe is the reason the devs don't want to change the boff traits.

Anyhoos, i know a plasmonic leach will help alleviate the power shortage, it can't be allocated all to a particular subsystem, so you're still at a disadvantage in the power department

Peacekeeper High Command
Bylar Crais - Zelbinion IV
Scorpius - R.R.W. Kharibdyss
Captain
# 28
09-23-2013, 05:34 AM
Hence why I posted up Scimitar Survival 101. It should also be noted that's for PvE only XD.
Career Officer
# 29
09-23-2013, 06:19 PM
I have all 3 consoles from the pack on my bird, not for the Pulse weapon, but for their individual abilities. Cloaked Barrage is incredibly useful, as is the console to generate a second set of shields (they will save your life on more than one occasion), and being able to keep your shields up when cloaking makes it ideal for quickly dropping agro, and you are incredibly maneuverable while cloaked, plus you get the +damage boost after decloaking.

With these 3 consoles, your turn rate will be about 14. With the fleet +rcs consoles it will be about 14.7. Ditch them and get the + hull hp instead.

Trade your beam banks for heavy cannons (Polaron and stick with the Jem Shields and Engines for the +polaron dmg boost until you get Adapted MACo shields and engines, then swap to plasma DHC's) and change your ships power distribution from Balanced to Weapons (those little bar graphs near your shield indicator on the task bar).

Boffs; Get a Saurian with the rare Efficient space trait, a Human with Leadership, D'vex from the last mission in one of the Rom series (he buffs a lot of tactical skills), a Romulan and a Reman. The Rom and Rem offer +dmg and +def after decloaking.

Doffs; Get 3 torp recharges. Green is "adequate", blue is better and purple (expensive) but ideal.
Captain
# 30
09-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspacex64 View Post

Unpossible! The forums assured me Romulans were flat out better than everything in every way!

Quote:
I've observed this as well. The Scim has better shield modifiers, more hull rating and better turn than my Sovereign, yet the Sovereign may as well be named the USS Highlander to see the borgs feeble attempts at bringing it down. The Scimitar in contrast seems to explode at a sneeze. I realize having 5 tactical consoles in addition to dual beam banks might and chaining beam fire at will might make the Spheres hate my Scim more than the Sovy (Hello chain-shield drain!) but it does feel pretty flimsy in general.

I'm finding out now I need the 2 piece bonus for the better turning, the better survival with secondary shields and the ability to keep shields up while cloaked, (which makes sense because when I cloak I go from 90% hull to 0 long after I've made my getaway) but investing $50 for two ships when I already have the tac scim and not getting the value of the three pack is a hard sell. As is having to shell out for some Valdore console and some Plasmic Leech console. If I had known shelling out this kind of cabbage was necessary just to get the Scimitar optimal I wouldn't have bothered.
I'm feeling this entire endeveur has been a waste and I might better have gotten the mogai.

I really don't feel like blowing so much more cash or farming dil for a year just to get one ship in top condition, so at this point I may just cut my losses and move on.