Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
Good day, Captains!

I'm Admiral Yuung, commanding officer of the Federation dreadnought cruiser, NCC-92199 U.S.S. Yamato. And I'd like to share a song with you that would hopefully shine some light into your day, an unfixed bug makes a mess of your KASE, or the 47th time a Romulan BoP crit-shots you in pvp and you want to punch through the internet.

But first, let's acknowledge the facts. These are terrible times we're in. The economy has been mostly bad for the last decade, jobs aren't easily had, politicians quagmired in policy-making, a loved one takes ill, a prominent member in our lives passes on, and life can be pretty darn hard to get by. The game is pretty damn far from perfect, pvp balance is non-existent, feels cheaply made, and every so often the game client decides to bite our collective asses. And even in 2409, we Captains face war at all fronts, deception at our backs, and an annoying merchant that keeps interrupting our work while at warp.

I signed on to do many things, and most of all was to explore. I'm sure enough of us thought about it once when we plucked ourselves from all over the galaxy, shipped ourselves to a place called San Francisco, and wore the arch that so distinguished our order for the last 200 years.

I miss that time. I miss it every time I take to warp and find that I am not cleared to depart into deep space, that Starfleet desperately needs the Yamato and her crew somewhere inside Federation borders. I miss it every time I am forced to destroy a Tal Shiar or Tholian vessel, simply because the cost of standing idly by was far greater than ordering a spread of phaser fire. I miss it each time I return to the fleet starbase and find it empty, save the vendor whom I push my crew to work for, so that the Yamato remains top-of-the-line. I miss it every time I find that I have spent more gathering dilithium than I have hours clocked in meeting strange new civilizations.

I won't pretend that these concerns and many many more are any less valid. And I acknowledge that real life will always take precedence, so being a Captain in game and a man living in our time will feel like burning a candle at both ends.

But still, there is hope. Star Trek is about a world where we have pushed past our current boundaries, brought our lessons and our ideals into the harshness of space, and greeted or challenged whatever the hell was out there. Even if the quality and what was canon or not varied, Star Trek could be a story about anything, and when faced with new limits, Starfleet reacted in many ways, from the idealism of Picard to the cowboys of Kirk to the struggles of Sisko to the scientific overdose of Janeway.

Just as we would, and have. From moving from paycheck to paycheck to worrying about bills and health to running from the guns of terrorists or even the very real threat of conflict, we have. From putting on the stethoscope and stepping into the ER to slinging on a rifle to fight for those who can't, we have.

Both reality and the game are different from our ideals. But we can deal with that, and we have.

On that note, I want to take this moment to celebrate all that we have both IRL and here. Because I believe that the best is yet to be. For centuries, we have created a universal language called music. I myself was born from the union of someone from most xenophobic culture on the planet and someone from the oldest civilization, and yet now I am living in a place very much alien to all that. For our friends with the new iPads, the PADD is indeed here. And some are already coming up with the theoretical models of how dark matter could create our first warp drive.

In game, we have content, just not exactly the kind we all want. The lights are still on. I still modify the hell out of my boffs, to get them closer to the images in my mind. I'm doffing everywhere. And I've taken to giving the CE a cracked carapace every so often. I'm not having as much as fun as I want, but I am having quite a lot of it. And when the Ausmonauts gather, we throw an awesome starbase party. In real Australian traditions.

So, let us continue on our varied paths, because I'm sure, as long as we all work what we believe in, it will lead to a better place.

That was the essence what that was captured in this recently released song. (Checked the link already myself it should be adware free)

It is sung by my Chief of Science, Pion (or so I wish! ). The language will be alien to a lot of you, but I hope the tune would also convey the meaning, as it did for me. To help you along, here's the vague translation:

------

Song title: Ai no Hoshi (Star of Love)
Performed by: Mizuki Nana
Lyrics: Mizuki Nana & Yoshiki Eriko
Composition: Yoshiki Eriko
Arrangement: Fujima Hitoshi
Single: Vitalization (2013)

[1st phrase]
If I were to find one thing
On this planet that is really beautiful
Instead of something visible
I?ll answer that it?s the love inside everyone

Even if war and sorrow
Cloud the unmarred blue
Our combined warmth will
Become the light illuminating the world

[1st chorus]
What should I wish upon the endless universe
To be able to smile and forgive everything
That?s right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes
Lights

[2nd phrase]
If there were something that will never change
Within the passing time
Instead of something tangible
I?ll answer that it?s the joy of meeting you

Whenever there are more things to protect
Kindness brings along hesitation
But I believe, forever
The road that I chose will lead to hope

[2nd Chorus]
Let?s advance without fear?because whatever happens
Happiness is always beside us
That?s right, within the heart that knows pain is a song of passion
It?ll keep resonating without fail

[1st refrain]
There?s nothing special
Only the power of a feeling for something important
Will connect the limited time with a bond
And it?ll create the route called a miracle

[Final Chorus]
What should I wish upon the endless universe
To be able to smile and forgive everything
That?s right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes

[Coda]
Whatever tomorrow comes, I?ll be with you
Forever

------

I apologize for this convoluted wall of text. Language isn't something I'm good at, but I hope, at the very least, the song and its tune did something for you. And let's advance without fear, into Season 8, 9, 10, 11, the new STO MMO, the new JJtrek tv series, whatever it may be.

Stay frosty, my friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.

Last edited by khayuung; 09-22-2013 at 10:06 PM.