Survivor of Romulus
# 161
08-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikonov View Post
Digging through some old STO screenshots today and realised how ugly some of the 'new' textures are, particulary held weapons and wall signage - was their ever a half decent official reason for this LoR uglify-patch?
Did you even *read* this thread?
Lt. Commander
# 162
08-26-2013, 11:05 AM
That is exactly what is happening on my game. I have a GTX660 with 2GB DDR5 and DS9 is a joke. Even if I stand on one spot the floors and walls will continually texture morph. It's ghastly, and visually annoying as hell. No where do I see a way to always force it to load the way it used to where you get the High Full Res versions over the now tiny first then the game decides if it will increase. I want to force full all the time. Even sliding the sliders to 300% or whatever the max is will not fix this issue. I tried the console command "reduce_min" and put in 1024x1024, but nothing happened.

reduce_min: Sets the minimum size that textures will be reduced to"
Commander
# 163
09-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Fix for too sharp textures, has partly to do with LOD settings: (Sorry only explaining for Nvidia users)

Run STO in DX9

Download and run Nvidia Inspector

Load Startrek Online profile

Adjust following settings:

Driver controlled LOD bias: Off
LOD Bias: 0.000 (minus Negative will make them too sharp, higher then 0.000 significantly decreases standard texture quality)

Negative LOD bias: Clamp

If you have a powerful 670GTX or higher:

Anti aliasing mode: Override any application setting
Transparency Supersampling: 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

In game, run at 4x AA

This will not only anti alias object lines and transparent textures, it will apply sparse grid supersampling over the whole screen (except the UI) including textures.

bye bye shimmering textures.

One more thing to mention, this doesnt stop STO from blurring/reloading textures, seems that STO cant load more then 800mb of video memory so anyone with more then 1gb of vid mem isnt even going to benefit. No idea why though, this should be fixed ASAP.

Last edited by masterkeychnk5; 09-24-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Commander
# 164
09-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
There is no new low res/high res function. All of our textures have had Mipmaps this whole time.

Several people have reported similar issues with the lower mip popping up when close to something, and that adjusting the "Video Memory Limit" in the video options to '1024+' has fixed it. There have also been reports of nvidia driver issues. If you can, please update your driver, and set your video memory limit, and then let me know if you're still seeing the issue.
No, auto does the same as 1024mb + on my 2gb video card, and ive tried all drivers from Nvidia from the last year.

Even your /showmem 1 graph in game shows that when you somehow hit 800mb it will simply reduce textures throughout the game.

Fix it please.
Captain
# 165
09-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmox64 View Post
That is exactly what is happening on my game. I have a GTX660 with 2GB DDR5 and DS9 is a joke. Even if I stand on one spot the floors and walls will continually texture morph. It's ghastly, and visually annoying as hell. No where do I see a way to always force it to load the way it used to where you get the High Full Res versions over the now tiny first then the game decides if it will increase. I want to force full all the time. Even sliding the sliders to 300% or whatever the max is will not fix this issue. I tried the console command "reduce_min" and put in 1024x1024, but nothing happened.

reduce_min: Sets the minimum size that textures will be reduced to"
I have some help for you. I had the same problem. Probably arises after running too many instances of the game at the same time although it could have just been bad initial config. Anyway, go to troubleshooting and set the GPU memory to auto or whatever your video card has and is listed in there. I have 512MB but mine was set to 128MB and had your same exact problem. Once I set it to 512Mb, the game went back to looking great. After LoR was released, I though I needed a new laptop because of how bad the game looked. Now, if having more than 1Gb on your video card and the game not knowing what to do is the problem, then they do need to fix it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 166
09-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Edit: why did all of my apostrophes turn into question marks?! WHAT MAGIC IS THIS!?!
I find that this happens to me when ever I write out a post in open officer first and then past it into the forums. For some reason they still look like apostrophes in the text input box I paste them into but as soon as I hit 'reply' or 'post' they magically transform.

Then I have to edit the post.

No idea why it happens. It doesn't turn doesn't into doesn?t when I just type my post strait into the text input box. Maybe I should experiment with copying and pasting from word to see if the problem is with open office or the forum.... nah cant be bothered. I am too buisy making posts complaining about broken STF accolades.... its been 166 days since we were promised a fix 'soon' btw.

Last edited by pwstolemyname; 09-24-2013 at 05:12 PM.