Captain
# 11
09-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by senatorvreenak View Post
Honestly I don't understand why Cryptic does not do like most other MMO's and turn off "collision detection" in non-combat areas.
Solves a lot of crowding problems right off the bat.
Sounds good, tht or allow us to beam directly to station,

I mean after the 70 000th time i've entered/exited sol/ds9 i would rather like to cut out the middle loading screen and go from sector straight to starbase (obviously have a toggle option for newbies to experiance the warp to and from), but after a few years of it, its gotten tiersome D:
Your Heavy Graviton Beam deals 26470 (10583) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to Assimilated Carrier.
Commander
# 12
09-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Just scale everything way up, so that the stars that have a diameter of about the length of a medium-large Starfleet ship get a diameter equaling the length of maybe 1.5 times the wingspan of a Scimitar, and make ships go way faster to compensate, and randomize the exit points more. Problem solved.
These are the unoriginal voyages of the starship Aether. Its continuing mission: to explore boring new worlds, seek out Dilithium and Reputation, to boldly go where everyone has gone before.
Career Officer
# 13
09-25-2013, 01:26 AM
One thing I have to comment on and this is something you can only really see if you run the game on 3 monitors, there is a lot of unused space in this game. If you have an ultra wide set up you'll see that all the ships are bunched up on to parts of any social hub and it really does not look good. In sector space its a little different and I can agree that the ship models at say about a 10th the size they are now would probably look awesome, but what would that mean to travel time and distance? Here is a hint, try it in a type 10 shuttle.
Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again?
Captain
# 14
09-25-2013, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhrangerxml View Post
One thing I have to comment on and this is something you can only really see if you run the game on 3 monitors, there is a lot of unused space in this game. If you have an ultra wide set up you'll see that all the ships are bunched up on to parts of any social hub and it really does not look good. In sector space its a little different and I can agree that the ship models at say about a 10th the size they are now would probably look awesome, but what would that mean to travel time and distance? Here is a hint, try it in a type 10 shuttle.
Easily solved by increasing travel speed.

Honestly I would like to see a massively scaled universe that makes you feel "small", but at the same time maintain the same travel time.

So if you were to increase the scale of space by a factor 10, then you would increase the speed by a factor of 10 as well.
Career Officer
# 15
09-25-2013, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxbad View Post
then again, that doesn't solve the aesthetic problem of entry points that look like crowded parking lots.
Where do you park that has cars rammed together and on top of each other? New York?
Captain
# 16
09-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by senatorvreenak View Post
Easily solved by increasing travel speed.

Honestly I would like to see a massively scaled universe that makes you feel "small", but at the same time maintain the same travel time.

So if you were to increase the scale of space by a factor 10, then you would increase the speed by a factor of 10 as well.
Please dont... Star Wars Galaxies:Jump to Lightspeed space was like a massive void where you could never find anyone or anything. Everything was dependent upon memorizing coordinates or relying on waypoints. It was realistic and in a full XYZ 3 dimensional axis (each sector was a cube of space 16000km to a side - you typically traveled at about 50-100 m/s, so it took three to five minutes or so to cross the whole map).... but for the sake of this game (and not some kind of pseudo flight simulator, which is basically what jump to light speed was trying to be), this would do a lot more harm than good.

ive been in big empty space.. it... kinda sucks to be honest.
Vice Admiral Rylana - U.S.S. DNT Omega X || Vice Admiral Lyzara - I.R.W. DNT Omicron X
Vice Admiral Kailiana - R.R.W. DNT Theta X || Vice Admiral Talina - I.R.W. DNT Tau X
Vice Admiral Victoria - U.S.S. DNT Upsilon X || Lt. General Dannika - I.K.S. DNT Sigma X
Vice Admiral Shondra - R.R.W. DNT Alpha X || Lt. General Rosanna - I.K.S. DNT Iota X
=== Vice Squad/House of Tlhap-Jen ===

Last edited by rylanadionysis; 09-25-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Captain
# 17
09-25-2013, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylanadionysis View Post
Please dont... Star Wars Galaxies:Jump to Lightspeed space was like a massive void where you could never find anyone or anything. Everything was dependent upon memorizing coordinates or relying on waypoints. It was realistic and in a full XYZ 3 dimensional axis (each sector was a cube of space 16000km to a side - you typically traveled at about 50-100 m/s, so it took three to five minutes or so to cross the whole map).... but for the sake of this game (and not some kind of pseudo flight simulator, which is basically what jump to light speed was trying to be), this would do a lot more harm than good.

Wow that sounds awesome. I know most ppl would hate it but i would love to get a slight glimpse of how big space really is.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Captain
# 18
09-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylanadionysis View Post

If only there was something that could manage information like full XYZ 3 dimensional axis coordinates or waypoints. Something that could also visually represent that information on a map and maybe even automate the process of navigating from one point to another. Maybe something computational. We can call it a "computer".

This is an opensource effort at sourceforge.net that does a pretty good job with the scale issue. http://vegatrek.sourceforge.net/

I'd love to see STO adopt this style of space travel.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-25-2013, 11:13 AM
I've been spamming my Quantum SlipStream since it disables collision in sector space. Even warping as short as from DS9 to the Dilithium mines requires it these days.
Commander
# 20
09-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxbad View Post
My helmsman does not appear to know this.

then again, that doesn't solve the aesthetic problem of entry points that look like crowded parking lots.
You mean like this?