Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Romulan Flotilla
Login

Commander
While it can be argued that we can simply use the hangar pets of our allied factions (which is only partly true, any of the ship-specific pets cannot be used, and frigates cannot be used by romulan carriers either), we're still short on faction specific hangar craft compared to the kdf and romulan carrier options.

Right now we've got drone ships - only usable on the scimitar - and scorpion fighters. I run a romulan ship, not a reman ship, which leaves me with no real options for snubcraft.

Here's what I'd like to see added:

1. Tiercel Shuttles
Model already in-game, used as a small craft for the romulan story arc. The tiercel would be equivalent to the smaller shuttles available to the federation or kdf - something similar to the type 9 or to'duj, perhaps; low hull strength, but high speed and defense with a single plasma beam array.

2. Shrike Runabouts
Also already ingame and used as a small craft, the shrike runabout is a larger craft than the tiercel. This should be on par with the federation danube runabout hangar pets - meaning a plasma beam array (or perhaps a dual beam bank? shuttle edition), plasma torpedo launcher, and a special ability like the tractor beam to provide it with some utility. Since the small craft version of the shrike already has quantum absorbtion, and hangar pets seem to have issues with survivability, perhaps that would be a good choice - something allowing it to keep itself alive through burst heals.

3. Singularity Drones
As an equivalent to shield repair or hull repair drones, the idea here is to have a hangar craft that helps, somehow, with your singularity systems. There's a few interesting options open:

-The drones could amplify any singularity ability you use. For example, when you use plasma shockwave, perhaps smaller shockwaves could emanate from the drones (and if you have them set to attack, they'd be off swarming around an enemy ship, allowing you to hit that target with the mini shockwaves even if your own ship is out of range).

-The drones could increase singularity charge rate, and perhaps allow you to retain some of your singularity charge (i.e. not lose any to drain) when out of combat. If each wing had 2 drones, and you could have up to 4 drones out on the ar'kif, you'd be able to retain maybe 4 charges of singularity level out of combat. The scimitar, using two hangars for this, would be able to keep a full singularity charge.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-26-2013, 10:04 AM
+No question that we could do with more Romulan specific hangar pets, however, we need an actual Romulan carrier first.
Commander
# 3
09-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Maybe, I'm not sure I agree though.

Carriers are expensive, large craft that require substantially more crew and resources to operate than a typical starship. That's probably why only the 'superpowers' of the galaxy ever built them - the federation, KDF, dominion, so on and so forth can afford them.

The romulan star empire might have been able to, as well, but due to a focus on subterfuge and stealth over open warfare they never needed carriers. The scimitar and it's scorpion fighters were created by the remans and shinzon purely for combatting the romulans and the federation.

The romulan republic is small, it has few enough resources. So far, lore-wise, only the ar'kif/ar'kala has actually been designed and built by the republic, and it's a fairly small vessel all things considered. It can be assumed that the hangar bay on the ar'kif is, lore-wise, designed more as a shuttlebay that can launch scorpions provided by the remans. Still, it would function better as a shuttlebay for tiercels/shrikes.

I dont think the republic has the resources to build a carrier of it's own, so the few scimitars captured from the empire will have to suffice in that regard. I cant recall if the scimitar has one or two hangars, but it should have two anyways.

Really, i just want romulan shuttles to use on my ar'kif, as opposed to reman fighters.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-26-2013, 10:35 AM
No reason the Romulan Republic should be perpetually stuck in the "barely a blip on the galaxy map" status forever.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
09-26-2013, 11:22 AM
You do realise that Scorpions are meant to be the equivalent to the To'Duj and Peregrine? The problem is everyone can get them but they are also far superior.

Tiercel Shuttles & Shrike Runabouts should be added to the Romulan line up, but they really shouldn't do something another Hanger craft already does.

Equality does not need to mean the same, It can be fair and Unique.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
Captain
# 6
09-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Perhaps the Tiercel and Shrike could just be copies of the Fed shuttle/runabout and only change the 'skin'? Maybe it is the same purchase - IOW, buy runabouts and equip them on your Oddy, and get little Yellowstones. Equip it on a Mogai and you get little Shrikes that do the same thing.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
09-26-2013, 08:12 PM
1: Thank you for spelling hangar correctly.

2: I'm always for more carrier pet options, and I think a true Romulan carrier would be a nice addition.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Commander
# 8
09-26-2013, 11:12 PM
How about some form of viral matrix for the shrike, instead of tractor beam? Maybe an attack that takes a single system offline, or drains power from systems? Romulans are known for their love of hacking into enemy computers and messing with things.

Maybe the shuttles could lay cloaking tractor beam mines? Though that's a little too close to the danube.
Career Officer
# 9
10-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post

2: I'm always for more carrier pet options, and I think a true Romulan carrier would be a nice addition.

Off topic, but dude, I love your sig image!
Captain
# 10
10-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post
An architecture firm I used to work for often did large military hangar projects. When I started there, someone handed me a drawing of a large airplane surrounded by a giant wire clothes hanger, with the word "H A N G E R" in huge letters under it. Most of us had copies of that drawing, and yet, it *still* got spelled wrong on drawings way too often.