Captain
And 99% of everyone does as well. And with that said, could borg engines finally leave impulse trails behind all outputs/exhausts instead of just one?

1. Currently it makes us look like we should be going in circles

2. Every other engine that affects impulse trails affects all output/exhausts.

Thanks for reading...Taco, your an artist, surely you can agree?
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
09-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Bilateral symmetry is aesthetically pleasing. That being said, there is artistic merit in having only one of the impulse engines have that particular engine trail. The Borg set is not designed to be aesthetically pleasing.

The Borg technology from the set is not designed to be 'standard issue' from an artistic perspective. It is designed to be a prototype or simply a jury-rigged modification to currently-existing systems. Borg technology and Starfleet/KDF/Romulan technology are far from compatible, and the artistic design of the space set reflects that this is not something carefully designed -- but rather something simply bolted onto the existing hull.

It's my opinion that the Aegis, Omega Force, MACO, and Honor Guard sets were the next logical step in actually creating something entirely new -- based on proven performance from things like the Borg set (which is why they share certain qualities), while the Borg set remains distinct as using strictly Borg technology without fabricating it to be in line with traditional ship appearances.

While I don't disagree it seems irksome if you're used to bilateral symmetry, I do disagree that from an artists' perspective it needs to be changed. This is equipment that you are, for lack of a better term, experimenting and testing. One impulse engine lacking the modifications can be seen as a baseline for whatever systems that are on the second engine.

And to be perfectly honest, due to the risky nature of the Borg technology working on your ship... I'm not exactly willing to give control of both impulse engines to Borg technology I'm experimenting with.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Career Officer
# 3
09-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post
Bilateral symmetry is aesthetically pleasing. That being said, there is artistic merit in having only one of the impulse engines have that particular engine trail. The Borg set is not designed to be aesthetically pleasing.

The Borg technology from the set is not designed to be 'standard issue' from an artistic perspective. It is designed to be a prototype or simply a jury-rigged modification to currently-existing systems. Borg technology and Starfleet/KDF/Romulan technology are far from compatible, and the artistic design of the space set reflects that this is not something carefully designed -- but rather something simply bolted onto the existing hull.

It's my opinion that the Aegis, Omega Force, MACO, and Honor Guard sets were the next logical step in actually creating something entirely new -- based on proven performance from things like the Borg set (which is why they share certain qualities), while the Borg set remains distinct as using strictly Borg technology without fabricating it to be in line with traditional ship appearances.

While I don't disagree it seems irksome if you're used to bilateral symmetry, I do disagree that from an artists' perspective it needs to be changed. This is equipment that you are, for lack of a better term, experimenting and testing. One impulse engine lacking the modifications can be seen as a baseline for whatever systems that are on the second engine.

And to be perfectly honest, due to the risky nature of the Borg technology working on your ship... I'm not exactly willing to give control of both impulse engines to Borg technology I'm experimenting with.
Actually, between the names of the equipment, the name of set, and the visuals I'm pretty sure they wanted to evoke the idea that the ship in question was partially assimilated, not that you've been playing with experimental tech.
Career Officer
# 4
09-27-2013, 09:21 AM
If one thing seems clear about the design of the Borg set, it's that it's not meant to be pleasing to the eye.

I enjoy feeling like I'm flying a monstrosity, a crime against nature as I use tech that's ethically questionable at best, downright evil at worst.
Captain
# 5
09-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Well there's the weird horseshoe crab thing that I have no issue with. That can stay for the haphazardly aspect. But the warp/impulse trails, just seems flawed. Bird with a weak wing feeling
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Rihannsu
# 6
09-28-2013, 02:01 AM
I've always seen that Borg smoker as a tailpipe spewing out space pollution, not a thruster. It's not really an impulse engine after all, but a "subtranswarp" engine. It only has a trail because its a cheap knockoff that leaks some plasma. Real Borg ships don't have any visible engines at all.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
09-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canis36 View Post
Actually, between the names of the equipment, the name of set, and the visuals I'm pretty sure they wanted to evoke the idea that the ship in question was partially assimilated, not that you've been playing with experimental tech.
The item description text says that it's based on research done by Seven of Nine on U.S.S. Voyager. If it looks partially assimilated, I think that's coincidental.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Captain
# 8
09-28-2013, 07:28 PM
I agree with Iconians. It's Borg in origin. It's not supposed to look pretty.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.