Captain
# 1 Site needs a Fan-Fic section
09-29-2013, 10:53 PM
This part of the forum is supposed to be about topics pertaining to non-STO Star Trek and other sci-fi, fantasy, action, etc. movies and shows + life and anything else fitting within the TOU that's related to creating a non-game discussion.

And then it gets inundated with fan-fics.

Site admins should make a section for people who want to have a writing exhibition so the topics in here don't get cluttered with their stuff.

**Deposits 2 cents

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.
Captain
# 2
09-29-2013, 11:02 PM
This section IS for fan-fics.....

read the little nifty descriptor for the section that is the mighty ten forward. THIS is essentially the social zone for the STO forum....
Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
Captain
# 3
09-29-2013, 11:52 PM
^ Which is weird to me, because every other "franchise" forum that I'm on will have a section specifically for that kind of thing so as to not clutter the general chit-chat area with people's stories.

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.
Captain
# 4
09-30-2013, 12:02 AM
General chit chat section is General Discussion....

Seriously go through and read the little things below each section..
Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
Captain
# 5
09-30-2013, 12:58 AM
To Kain9prime:

If you don't like it, you don't have to read it-just as I don't have a whole lot of interest in dead actors, sports teams, media scandals, reality television stars, people's birthdays, "The Person Above me" and "The person below me" games, etc. etc.-if you don't like it, don't read it, nobody is holding a gun to your head or threatening your family/bank account/security clearance saying "Read this stuff you don't like".

as for my part, I endeavour to try to always remember to mark my stories as stories, thus saving the eyes and brains of people that don't want to read them...so far, I thought that strategy had some success...
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Captain
# 6
09-30-2013, 04:21 AM
I don't think it would be necessarily a bad idea to collect the site's fics in another subforum so you don't have to sort through the "forumites being silly" threads.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Captain
# 7
09-30-2013, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
"forumites being silly"
Hey -- I resemble that remark.
Commander
# 8
09-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Maybe what the forum needs is a megathread full of links to various people's fanfics. In fact, I think I may get around to that...
Community Moderator
# 9
09-30-2013, 11:10 AM
A brief explanation...

First, yes, this is the correct forum for posting fan-fic.

Consider the title. Ten Forward is a place where patrons can swap stories. In other words, fan-fic.

It is also a place for the... less formal discussions that happen. You could even replace the words "less formal" with "strange" or "humorous" and probably not be too far off. Still, we generally expect the content here to be at least tangentally relevant to the STO community. Star Trek, science fiction, gaming, the community itself, etc.

Star Trek Online General Discussion on the other hand is "strictly" for discussion about Star Trek Online that doesn't fit in a better forum. We can debate the definition of "strictly" and it may not be all that consistent, but that's what it's supposed to be for.

There is a sub-forum underneath Ten Forward called the Captains' Table that is set aside for interactive roleplaying through the forums. You're welcome to suggest to the Community Manager that perhaps fan-fic belongs there as well.

The Devs don't want too many forums and sub-forums. There are already a lot of them and you've got an uphill battle to convince BranFlakes to add more. Juggling them a bit, though, that might be doable.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Community Moderator
# 10
09-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
Maybe what the forum needs is a megathread full of links to various people's fanfics. In fact, I think I may get around to that...
And if you do that, and you're open to maintaining it, you could ask for a sticky thread and possibly get it.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek