Ensign
One of the hurdles I've had with Foundry is the Terms of Service--I'm not allowed to have a believable Kirk in a time-travel mission because that would require me to create a model that looks like Bill Shatner or Chris Pine.

The simplest way around this restriction--and the one I've used so far--is to use the generic/default model and only manipulate the essentials--hair style, ears, eye color, etc. This will allow the player to interact with a character, and they will know who it is SUPPOSED to be--even if it doesn't actually look like the character we are familiar with.

Recently, I was directed to a website which morphed "old" and "new" actors for each of the core characters. The result is an image that looks like neither actor (although in some cases, features are stronger for one actor over the other) but still looks like the character. Arguably MORE like the *character* than EITHER *actor*.

So, my question is this: If I were to create a Foundry-Kirk modeled after the morphed image--would it be allowed according to the TOS since the new morphed image is not readily identifiable as either actor?

Link: http://geektyrant.com/news/original-...-with-new-cast
VAdm Robert Charles Graham
U.S.S. Gawain, NCC-91980
Frontier Fleet
STO-Frontier-Fleet.ProBoards.com
Career Officer
# 2
09-30-2013, 05:30 PM
I think that going with the generic face is the best defense. No one can claim that you modified it to look like the actor.

I guess it's sort of interesting to consider now that multiple actors have played Kirk, his appearance is not necessarily set based on a single person. That being said, since the new movies aren't part of the properties under license for STO, if you created one of the morphed likenesses it might simply be considered to be Shatner.

On a side note, I think the morphed Kirk actually looks better than either of the actors who played him. I can't say that for some of the other characters, though.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Ensign
# 3
09-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
On a side note, I think the morphed Kirk actually looks better than either of the actors who played him. I can't say that for some of the other characters, though.
That was my first thought too!

My impression of the list is that Kirk is a perfect blend; Spock looks more-Quinto; McCoy doesn't look like either (and because of that is probably the worst pic because you wouldn't immediately say "Bones" if you looked at it out-of-context); Sulu is more-Takei; Scotty is Doohan-leaning; Uhura is Saldana-ish; Checkov is a perfect blend, but suffers from the same problem as McCoy; Pike is a perfect blend right up there with Kirk; Kahn is Montalban-leaning, but is the best, because of the drastically differences between the two actors.
VAdm Robert Charles Graham
U.S.S. Gawain, NCC-91980
Frontier Fleet
STO-Frontier-Fleet.ProBoards.com
Career Officer
# 4
10-01-2013, 02:44 AM
The Blending is a good starting point to make your own version of a character. Like how many cartoons made Kirk and Spock but not looking like Shatner or Nimoy.

I did such a thing in my Foundry mission, where I have an appearance by Kor, but he doesn't resemble John Colicos. Of course, I started off with Mr. Colicos and then with some tinkering, I evolved Kor into his own character.
Commander
# 5
10-01-2013, 08:03 AM
AARGH... that is amazing, how did they do that?

My impression, not that it has any bearing on anything: Spock is Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes. To a T. Weird coincidence. McCoy had me looking at the picture from different angles and thinking "I've seen that man somewhere"; anyone know who it is, or am I imagining it? Chekov I didn't know who it was meant to be and had to refer to the list, mind you I haven't seen any of the series he was in so I only know him from that one film. Khan is made up of two such different faces that he's kind of unnerving to look at, I think I'm subconsciously trying to work out where on Earth he comes from - especially as it's such a perfect blend that you can't see it as anything BUT a single really strange face!

Last edited by wombat140; 10-01-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Captain
# 6
10-01-2013, 09:45 AM
I don't think your idea works and here's why: The foundry tailor is not so accurate a tool that anyone will be able to tell the difference. I spent hours making Garak for my mission and the default animations for the dialog kind of ruined it. Also consider that actors get paid royalties for their likenesses when crappy action figures are made that don't even look like them. I would stick with the generic Tos npc's.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 7
10-01-2013, 03:55 PM
You guys are thinking too hard. The face designer really isn't capable of making an accurate facsimile of them. When you meet McCoy in "Everything Old Is New" it's a vague resemblance at best.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
10-02-2013, 06:01 AM
So attempting to even loosely imitate a canon character is dangerously close to a ToS violation. And if you some how throw it far enough away from Shatner to not be recognizable that it's who you're modeling it after, players will start complaining "That's not Kirk!"

My recommendation is to pull what aspects you liked from the Kirk/Spock/McCoy trio and create your own. Good foundry missions pull inspiration from the shows, poor ones attempt to replicate them.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 10-02-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Captain
# 9
10-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
So attempting to even loosely imitate a canon character is dangerously close to a ToS violation. And if you some how throw it far enough away from Shatner to not be recognizable that it's who you're modeling it after, players will start complaining "That's not Kirk!"

My recommendation is to pull what aspects you liked from the Kirk/Spock/McCoy trio and create your own. Good foundry missions pull inspiration from the shows, poor ones attempt to replicate them.
Don't tell that to these guys : http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/

They put who knows how many man hours and expense into playing the Enterprise crew and they look nothing like the original cast.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Rihannsu
# 10
10-03-2013, 02:56 PM
yeah, I'm pretty sure that the face morphs are vague enough that any attempt to make someone named Kirk with anything close to the same facial features is going to be a TOS violation.