Captain
# 21
10-04-2013, 03:12 PM
I do agree with the last two posts. I think this is the direction Cryptic has gone with the Romulan faction. To compare all Romulans to the ones we have seen in Tng and DS9 would be like saying all Russians were like the KGB or all British are like M16 agents. These players are less formal they are like cowboys or the Firefly crew.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 22
10-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Well, also, look at J'Dan he was about as dishonorable as a Klingon can be.
I do like me some dishonorable Klingons. My first Romulan mission will reature one.

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Starfleet Veteran
# 23
10-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
Good news if they're actually talking to them...

Although the Romulan thing is completely STO based, so it won't necessarily benefit from that.
also stuck this in the completely wrong thread too
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolninspace View Post
I do agree with the last two posts. I think this is the direction Cryptic has gone with the Romulan faction. To compare all Romulans to the ones we have seen in Tng and DS9 would be like saying all Russians were like the KGB or all British are like M16 agents. These players are less formal they are like cowboys or the Firefly crew.
Without, hopefully, straying too far off-topic, Worf is a terrible archetype for Klingon characters, which should be expected since he was raised outside of Klingon culture. Worf is caricature of a stylized Klingon ideal, because he was raised with those images and values. But he's not a real Klingon. And we see that when he's around other Klingons. Where Worf is dour, humorless and infinitely honor-bound, "real" Klingons are lusty, fun-loving (in a rough sort of way), charming (in a very Klingony way) and willing to overlook minor infractions of honor if it's expedient.

I think we need to look at Romulans in the same way. The Tal Shiar are our Worf. We need to look for other examples in order to give a more well-rounded view of Romulan culture -- something I honestly think the LotR story-line attempts to do. That's not to say that we shouldn't consider the Tal Shiar stereotypes when developing our dialogue, but that it shouldn't be declared inside our head that "oh, THAT option is there to satisfy all the Romulan captains." Our thinking -- and our dialogue options -- should be broader when the opportunity presents itself.
Career Officer
# 25
10-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castsbugc View Post
also stuck this in the completely wrong thread too
I was kind of wondering about that, LOL.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Career Officer
# 26
10-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donperk View Post
Without, hopefully, straying too far off-topic, Worf is a terrible archetype for Klingon characters, which should be expected since he was raised outside of Klingon culture. Worf is caricature of a stylized Klingon ideal, because he was raised with those images and values. But he's not a real Klingon. And we see that when he's around other Klingons. Where Worf is dour, humorless and infinitely honor-bound, "real" Klingons are lusty, fun-loving (in a rough sort of way), charming (in a very Klingony way) and willing to overlook minor infractions of honor if it's expedient.
I understand what you're saying about Worf to a certain degree, and I'm sure his up briging may have contributed to his attitude, but at the same time I think a lot of that is just Worf being Worf. I'm not really sure it's because he's not a real Klingon, and more that he's just kind of a rigid person.

Of course, that does go back to characters of a specific species still being individual people, with wide variations between them. I think the trouble with Romulans is that on screen they've always been an antagonistic species. They've never gotten the treatement of Klingons in TNG/DS9 and Ferengi in DS9, fleshing them out by having them play a large part of the show, shown from a more first person perspective. The truth is we don't have a lot of straightforward material to draw on.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
# 27
10-05-2013, 11:04 AM
The Romulans til now have been like Cold war Russia "a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma." So there is not much lore considering the fact that they are a major faction and not just alien of the week types.

So far what weve got:

1. You cannot have the mission take place on the players ship.

2. It cannot be in any social zone where Romulans are not permitted.

3. The Rank of the player must be fill in dialog instead of just writing Captain. (Captain is not a Romulan title)

4. You may need to add more dialog options to accomodate Romulan players, Have the ability for characters to react you differently if you choose the Romulan options.

5.when someone grants you the mission, it reason needs to make sense if you're not Federation. Any characters from your ship also are risky due to uniform and race.

6. Romulans are not bound by certain things such as the prime directive.

7. Republic officers are not Tal shiar, and require a wider variety of responses.

Rihannsu
# 28
10-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
I understand what you're saying about Worf to a certain degree, and I'm sure his up briging may have contributed to his attitude, but at the same time I think a lot of that is just Worf being Worf. I'm not really sure it's because he's not a real Klingon, and more that he's just kind of a rigid person.

Of course, that does go back to characters of a specific species still being individual people, with wide variations between them. I think the trouble with Romulans is that on screen they've always been an antagonistic species. They've never gotten the treatement of Klingons in TNG/DS9 and Ferengi in DS9, fleshing them out by having them play a large part of the show, shown from a more first person perspective. The truth is we don't have a lot of straightforward material to draw on.
As examples of this. We have Taris and Toreth. Same race(Romulan), same actress(Carolyn Seymour), different characters. Then there's Dukat and Macet. Both are Cardassians played by Marc Alaimo.

Toreth was paranoid that the Tal'Shiar were constantly looking over her shoulder, she might have been right.... but she acted crazy all the same. Taris was a more calm individual, until her ship started to self destruct after catching an Iconian virus.

Macet was a rather honorable guy, sure he hid things from his opponents, but if he gave his word he kept it. Dukat was about as treacherous as you can get. Is there anyone he DIDN'T betray at one point or another?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.