Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Duty Officer System and R&D
Login

Commander
Seriously you have to unbound this blockade between ground and space DOff on Active Duty from the same department/profession.

Witnessing this a lot with Engineering DOffs. For example i can't equip an Fabrication Engineer on Ground, if i have one on Active Duty for space, and vice versa. Same problem with other DOffs.
This is Crypticverse...
Commander
# 2
06-28-2014, 11:23 AM
This is Crypticverse...
Captain
# 3
06-29-2014, 01:23 AM
Cryptic knows about this issue and they'd like to fix it if they can find the time to do it. Maybe we'll get lucky with expansion 2.
--------------======== Joined: January 2009 ========--------------
>>>CLICK HERE FOR GEAR UPGRADE COST REFERENCE TABLE<<<
Hate the look of the new Arc site? >>Check out my redesign concept images<<
>Bob's Big Giant UI QoL Thread<
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Ughfffhhghguhhfg...
Commander
# 4
06-29-2014, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Cryptic knows about this issue and they'd like to fix it if they can find the time to do it. Maybe we'll get lucky with expansion 2.
ETA somewhere along the way is the common rant, for at least everything they stoop to comment on.
This is Crypticverse...
Commander
# 5
06-29-2014, 05:09 AM
Everytime i do a ground or space pvp, pve, or whatever i have to reslot all my Doffs until i get slotted all i wanted, cuz everytime some block each other from the same department. Ground Doff blocks Space, one on Space blocks one on Ground. *sigh* This is so ... annoying.

Feeling like getting trolled from Cryptic once again.
This is Crypticverse...
Cryptic Studios Team
# 6
07-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Cryptic knows about this issue and they'd like to fix it if they can find the time to do it.
This isn't an issue that's awaiting a fix. The current functionality is working as intended.

Quote:
Everytime i do a ground or space pvp, pve, or whatever i have to reslot all my Doffs until i get slotted all i wanted, cuz everytime some block each other from the same department.
This is the nature of choice.

You can either have the exact functionality you want for each region (as determined solely by your choices in the matter), or you can have the ease of use that comes from utilizing an Active Roster that doesn't have any overlapping restrictions.

When a new Doff comes out that uses the same Specialization as another existing one, chances are that choice was not made at random by the Designer that created it. We understand the nature of choice. So if we release a new Technician Doff, we know that he will directly compete with the A2Batt doffs that already exist. And a new Fabrication Doff has to stand up as a valid choice vs. the existing ones that summon additional Turrets during ground combat.

We're not trolling you. We're trying to create interesting choices.
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Staff Systems Designer
"Play smart!"
Follow the STO_DevTracker on Twitter!
Captain
# 7
07-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Quote:
This isn't an issue that's awaiting a fix. The current functionality is working as intended.

You can either have the exact functionality you want for each region (as determined solely by your choices in the matter), or you can have the ease of use that comes from utilizing an Active Roster that doesn't have any overlapping restrictions.

When a new Doff comes out that uses the same Specialization as another existing one, chances are that choice was not made at random by the Designer that created it. We understand the nature of choice. So if we release a new Technician Doff, we know that he will directly compete with the A2Batt doffs that already exist. And a new Fabrication Doff has to stand up as a valid choice vs. the existing ones that summon additional Turrets during ground combat.

That is not a choice.

The reason the current setup is bad is the same reason you guys use for why you don't want to release traits that function outside of combat.

It might be a limitation of the engine, I can accept that. But to claim it is intentional that the players would be forced to change their doff selections each time they change combat areas does not make any sense. And no, it is not the same as space/ground captain traits as they can only be changed in specific regions and you may not have the capability to do that depending upon the content you are currently engaged in. Which is still quite a stretch mind you when space/ground reputation traits are split, space/ground skill points are semi split, but captain traits do not have such a split, yeah.

Consistency in your design implementations might cause less confusion is all I'm saying.
http://www.helpscout.net/75-customer...es-statistics/
Captain
# 8
07-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Quote:

But you are trolling us, since we can just slot out one doff for another whenever we have a spare moment, so you aren't actually achieving your intended design goals. You're just intentionally creating more busywork for players.
Empire Veteran
# 9
07-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Quote:

Eh you just end up pissing ppl off when you have like for example a RSP fabrication officer for space and then a support drone fabrication doff for ground. Two different regions so you have to micro manage them every time you want to do space or ground. I guess the direction with the build loadouts stopped there as far as micro management.

Now I could see if you wanted to like use the mine fields ones all together like that it would be too OP but the ones for different regions shouldn't cancel each other out imo. Plus I specifically submitted bug reports in the past about an exploit with SDO's where you can use purple ones for ground on the space roster making a pretty much invincible tact but someone dropped the ball on that one I guess. Also its an armory officer who does turrets not fabrication lol.
Republic Veteran
# 10
07-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Quote:

Sorry, the choice isn't interesting when you have to choose between loadouts for two mutually exclusive areas of the game, its annoying and tedious, and serves little purpose but to annoy your players, and probably also forces the ones who don't want to deal with swapping stuff around constantly to specialize into one side of the game while ignoring the other.

Ground and Space are wholly separated play spaces, if you force a choice between them one (probably ground) is going to lose out. This is partly why the Skill Tree was revamped from the system that was in place at launch, because before we were forced to spend points in ground almost everyone spent them all in space. I think its probably a safe bet that even under the new skill point tree where there is a Cap on how much you can spend on space, that the vast majority of players cap out space and spend the minimum needed in ground.

Doffs and Activated traits are really no different (or in the case of activated traits, won't be different in the long run) you are going to force a choice between Space and Ground, and Space will likely win out for the majority

You guys are talking about revision 3 of the skill point trees and still haven't learned this lesson, you might was well not bother wasting your time on it.

If you want choices to be interesting then each region has to have its own non-conflicting choices. Picking between two space powers is interesting, picking between two ground powers is interesting, picking between two powers you can't use at the same time anyhow isn't interesting, it comes down to where you spend most of your time. If you love ground and spend almost no time in space combat, then you slot the ground power, or vice versa.

There is no real choice, as the choice is be good at the thing I do a lot or be good at the the thing I do rarely. It would be like offering someone who lives in Nebraska the choice between having the power to command Corn with their mind, or the power to control Whales (Hint, there is a whole lot more Corn than there are Whales in Nebraska, in fact there is probably a whole lot more Corn than pretty much anything in Nebraska.)