Captain
# 11
10-06-2013, 11:48 AM
1. I, personally, don't consider STO 'non-canon', and even if I did, that's wouldn't necessitate two non-canon sources - a book and the game - to exist in the same continuity.

2. There is also nothing to show that they couldn't. You're trying to argue that the absence of something proves its lack of existance. It can't be proven either way that they could or couldn't. Considering that McCoy was 137 when the Enterprise-D launched, despite it being a stretch, it's entirely possible that Pike could have made it to the rough age of 175-200, we just don't know.

3. Again, you're trying to argue based on the absence of something. That's like saying that because we only see the same half-dozen officers each week on a show, there's no one else on board the ship. It could simply be that those five were the only Talosians involved in the project.

4. What is the Borg's statement? "We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own". Biological. The Talosian illusionary abilities are certainly capable of being considered a 'biological distinctiveness. And how is Talos 'far from the Borg' considering the regular Borg Red Alerts in nearly all sector blocks in game?
----
Proud Supporter of the Yeager-type.

Want more player participation, Cryptic? Forget more Queued Events, just raise the Dilithium refinement cap and watch what happens.
Lieutenant
# 12
10-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomagnus View Post
1. I, personally, don't consider STO 'non-canon', and even if I did, that's wouldn't necessitate two non-canon sources - a book and the game - to exist in the same continuity.

2. There is also nothing to show that they couldn't. You're trying to argue that the absence of something proves its lack of existance. It can't be proven either way that they could or couldn't. Considering that McCoy was 137 when the Enterprise-D launched, despite it being a stretch, it's entirely possible that Pike could have made it to the rough age of 175-200, we just don't know.

3. Again, you're trying to argue based on the absence of something. That's like saying that because we only see the same half-dozen officers each week on a show, there's no one else on board the ship. It could simply be that those five were the only Talosians involved in the project.

4. What is the Borg's statement? "We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own". Biological. The Talosian illusionary abilities are certainly capable of being considered a 'biological distinctiveness. And how is Talos 'far from the Borg' considering the regular Borg Red Alerts in nearly all sector blocks in game?
First off, you asked for help regarding your script and I gave my nitpicks based upon Star Trek's massive lore. I give my feedback to help you improve your story and making it more engaging while being plausible.

2. They did show it in both The Cage and The Menagerie that the Talosians lack advanced technology and the understanding on how to use it. They can't even repair the technology they have and utilize illusions to compensate for it.

3. On the contrary, I'm not arguing in the absence of fact. I am stating what was seen on screen that there are only five Talosians left. You are arguing that there are more which is absent from any facts as seen on screen or in the universe as a whole. The dialog in both The Cage and The Menagerie establishes that there are very few Talosians left while reinforcing this by showing only 5 Talosians on screen. It's up to you to defend that there are more with evidence beyond you saying that there are more.

4. Since the Borg are interested only in technology and their reasons for assimilating species with tech that is not in their database. The Talosians lack technology along with the close proximity to Eminair and Andor would mean that the Eminair and Andor would be better targets since those are Federation worlds while Talos is a nuclear wasteland devoid of anything on the surface. Now canon does state that the Borg will destroy a species if they lack technology. It's a lot like a person looking at a cockroach and decides to step on the cockroach.

The Borg have no interest in mental illusions and the technology exists already that renders the Talosian abilities non-functional. The Federation did develop the technological counter to the Talosian illusions and given the history of the Borg and the Federation's run ins the Borg would already have possessed this technology due to the events of TNG, etc... What would the Talosians offer to the Borg since the illusion nullification technology is already possessed by the Borg?

To sum up point 4, what interest does a barren rock filled with an extinct species hold for the Borg when there is Eminair and Andor nearby? Eminair has disintegration technology that would interest the Borg far more than mental illusions. Andor is the Andorian homeworld and has far greater technology than Eminair.

I do like your premise for visiting Talos again and having Pike back in the picture. However, I would recommend making it a time travel and/or alternate reality episode while dropping the Borg from the picture. I can easily see the Tal'Shiar wanting to harness the Talosian abilities since they have similar PSI potential.

Think about this set up: Tal'Shiar sends back several ships to Talos IV upon learning of its existence in 2409 with the intent of capturing a Talosian, so they can learn how to do mental illusions and use it to force the Federation aligned Romulans back into the Empire. The USS Wells notices the time disruption and has the player go back in time to stop the kidnapping. The player notices Captain Pike wandering around the surface and interact with him.

The basic premise remains the same, but the details are altered to better fit and do episodes of The Cage and The Menagerie justice.
Star Trek: Majestic producer, writer, set designer, and other hats.

Last edited by thepatriot1776; 10-06-2013 at 12:25 PM.