Career Officer
i have noticed that there is not much exploration in sto ok there are the nebulas but the planets in them contain aliens we already know how about a complete unexplored sector
which we can explore and find new life and new civilizations what do you guys think
Captain
# 2
10-09-2013, 08:48 AM
We were never explorers in this game, so no, I can't remember when.

For better or worse STO is an action MMO. It's about pew-pew because that's what most players like in their games - and in this industry you canter to the majority.

And even Trek isn't really about exploration. Most of Trek is really about the interaction of the people aboard the ship. It's the people interaction that made Trek interesting, not really what they were doing.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Lieutenant
# 3
10-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
For better or worse STO is an action MMO. It's about pew-pew because that's what most players like in their games - and in this industry you canter to the majority.
Well that the cost of these games make it difficult to justify taking big risks with innovation.

Still it would be nice, and probably not wholly unrealistic, if their was a Diablo like element where you could go to an instanced sector and it would make a random map with some action and a few exploration based mini-games that were actually fun.

If I have one major complain with this game, it is that the mini-games like mining and anomaly are painfully unfun. I wish they would take a note from some of the hacking mini-games from Mass Effect 2 and make the science mini-games more engaging and enjoyable. As it is, I largely stick to combat because trying to find the right wave pattern in a few seconds over and over is just frustration more than anything else.
Captain
# 4
10-09-2013, 09:29 AM
STO is so much wasted potential. A good way to expand this games expiration date would be to introduce roguelike elements. You said it, randomly generated maps at endgame, exploraion of the unknown in space and on planets. Imagine you have a team of 5 people, a Starfleet expedition. You had to adapt and react to random events, ambushes but also spacebound phenomena, emergency relief missions and act as a team. Each class had it's purpose for different tasks and teamplay would be viable.

Likewise, when beaming down a planet your team would explore the planet. Science officers would map the terrain and scan things while suddenly wildlife or raiders attack. There's a remote colony in need of evacuation or you establish first contact and prevent an assasination on the ambassador or... WHATEVER.

Roguelike elements in games is why I still play games that are more than 15 years old because THEY NEVER GET OLD. And Star Trek would have been perfect for that.

But instead we are bound to play the same content over and over again, just our starships (to which we should feel some kind of bond) change like our underpants because every new power creep presents you a better ship. For the same grind.
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
10-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
We were never explorers in this game, so no, I can't remember when.

And even Trek isn't really about exploration. Most of Trek is really about the interaction of the people aboard the ship. It's the people interaction that made Trek interesting, not really what they were doing.
This.

/10 char

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) - I only play one char now, such is the state of the game..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsune424 View Post
Here is your ticket to the USS Stupidity, Third class, four tacks on the chair, rules state you MUST sit on the chair, no standing, or hovering above the tacks, thank you have a nice day
Commander
# 6
10-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
STO is so much wasted potential.
That's precisely the quote that will always remember us STO.
Captain
# 7
10-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Quite frankly, I still am an explorer. Granted its all the same grind missions, but I still do patrols and cluster missions daily for both skillpoints and accolade advancement.

I really wish theyd add a few more types to the repetition though. Im getting sort of bored running through a giant structure and activating 4 computer consoles (without even fighting anything)
Vice Admiral Rylana - U.S.S. DNT Omega X || Vice Admiral Lyzara - I.R.W. DNT Omicron X
Vice Admiral Kailiana - R.R.W. DNT Theta X || Vice Admiral Talina - I.R.W. DNT Tau X
Vice Admiral Victoria - U.S.S. DNT Upsilon X || Lt. General Dannika - I.K.S. DNT Sigma X
Vice Admiral Shondra - R.R.W. DNT Alpha X || Lt. General Rosanna - I.K.S. DNT Iota X
=== Vice Squad/House of Tlhap-Jen ===
Lieutenant
# 8
10-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Quote:
STO is so much wasted potential. A good way to expand this games expiration date would be to introduce roguelike elements. You said it, randomly generated maps at endgame, exploraion of the unknown in space and on planets. Imagine you have a team of 5 people, a Starfleet expedition. You had to adapt and react to random events, ambushes but also spacebound phenomena, emergency relief missions and act as a team. Each class had it's purpose for different tasks and teamplay would be viable.

Likewise, when beaming down a planet your team would explore the planet. Science officers would map the terrain and scan things while suddenly wildlife or raiders attack. There's a remote colony in need of evacuation or you establish first contact and prevent an assasination on the ambassador or... WHATEVER.

Roguelike elements in games is why I still play games that are more than 15 years old because THEY NEVER GET OLD. And Star Trek would have been perfect for that.

But instead we are bound to play the same content over and over again, just our starships (to which we should feel some kind of bond) change like our underpants because every new power creep presents you a better ship. For the same grind.
Well said, I know that is what Angry Joe and a lot of other reviews said more or less when the game first came out. Still they are updating STO so who knows? Anything is possible, perhaps we'll yet see some of these features added to STO in time.
Captain
# 9
10-09-2013, 10:06 AM
"To seek out new threats and new empires, to boldly fight even in pugs, these are the voyages of the Starship STO."
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
10-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lter View Post
That's precisely the quote that will always remember us STO.
That is signature worthy..

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) - I only play one char now, such is the state of the game..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsune424 View Post
Here is your ticket to the USS Stupidity, Third class, four tacks on the chair, rules state you MUST sit on the chair, no standing, or hovering above the tacks, thank you have a nice day