Lt. Commander
# 1 GameSpy Previews STO
01-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Gerald Villoria at GameSpy has posted the first of his three-part Star Trek Online preview. Give it a read here.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the link.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Nice, thanks for posting it
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Hey that was a great read
THANKS
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Great read but like always some questions come to mind

Genesis was promised to be a way for captains to go "bodly to were no man has gone before" in a way the player could reach a star system and help the locals and even find "new species" if they worked long enough for BO's (bridge officers) and the best part was that players could share coordinates and ofcourse write a captains log as description to other captains that may go there, is this still in?

or Genesis is an alternative to episodes by giving mass effect type "quest planets" everyone can head to, do their thing, get out and no real gain besides some merit points (generic content)

I think the first option as was suggested by the dev team was a lot better, exploring and finding strange species, conflicts, etc in my humble opinion.

But any way, definetly sounds great even as "cheap missions" as long as keeps the trek feel to it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.kukulcan View Post
Genesis was promised to be a way for captains to go "bodly to were no man has gone before" in a way the player could reach a star system and help the locals and even find "new species" if they worked long enough for BO's (bridge officers) and the best part was that players could share coordinates and ofcourse write a captains log as description to other captains that may go there, is this still in?
Unfortunately, after a long absence of info about the Genesis sytem devs have said they will be using it to create new and interesting worlds, like a new toolset. Nothing randomly generated for players in game time.

I understand why you would ask about Genesis in this thread, to say there has been a PvP focus in the reviews of late would be an understatement.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Good read. The open instancing sounds really cool and I can't wait for some Fleet Action action.
Lt. Commander
# 8 Sto
01-06-2010, 11:17 AM
This is kind of out of the way of the subject, but all these articles sound like all you do is missions and instances, if you think about it that isn't what MMO's are just about. They are about missions yes, but alot more such as Roleplaying, I haven't heard any mention of it. In a vast universe with places like DS9 will there ever be people sitting in the bar having a good Roleplaying conversation or is it just missions?

Thanks

Also will there be titles to put above your guy's head? ( such as politician, tactician, ambassador, ace pilot?? etc )

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorburn View Post
Unfortunately, after a long absence of info about the Genesis sytem devs have said they will be using it to create new and interesting worlds, like a new toolset. Nothing randomly generated for players in game time.

I understand why you would ask about Genesis in this thread, to say there has been a PvP focus in the reviews of late would be an understatement.
Yeah Im actually into PVP aswell but there are some concepts "shelved for the future" which are a pity to me, genesis was good not just for PVE but for the trek feel to it, you get bored doing missions or PVP you could just go ahead and explore to find "new resources" or new lifeforms and the best of all wasn't meant to be a player tool or in-game tool as people misunderstand it.

The genesis engine was suppose to work like this, X number of star systems are created daily for players to explore each holding Y number of missions and Z number of new species and resources (randomized from avatar creator), the most visited star systems became permanent in the MAP and the rest deleted.

This would happen daily, besides PVP and PVE this was an original idea in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-06-2010, 11:52 AM
So there's no genesis at launch? come on cryptic, thats your house built engine, why cant you make it compatible with all the other systems? I was really looking forward to explore these unknown planets, and that engine gives the player the feeling o the vastness of universe, its not good that this engine didn't make it in the game -.-