Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Empire Veteran
# 41
10-11-2013, 07:49 AM
I have had Dan himself explain the situation about Klingon fanbased sales to me in two seperate interviews. The first was during a interview that took place inthe dark times of yhe game when even cups where scarce in the breakroom. I did not give his statement wieght then as my hate for Cryptics abuse of the KDF ran high.
The second chance I had to listen to him was in the recent LoR release interview. I gave that second time far more wieght and believed his words, understood his point of view based off of decades of marketing data from IPs true owners. I was not happy but satisfied that we as a fanbase are not hated or even set aside without some regret over how as fans being set so aside effects us.
I actually do not blaim the Devs or Dan, as they do great work when thier hearts are in it for the KDF. I do blaim the policy though that has come to be that limits them on risking doing more for us.
My true anget now is for those fans who continue to kick us while we are still down with platitudes of " STO is only about the feds" or " The KDF only have themselves to blaim" or " Its only payback for how the KDF have ruined STO with thier complaints" and even the boldest of lies" The Romulans paid the bills that keep the KDF ingame".
This the arrogant elitism I speak against. The koolaid fueled sermons that do nothing but rub our noses in our prediciment and blaim us for our fate.
These fans whom get thier kicks in while we are down and then retreat back to thier soapbox of elitism.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Commander
# 42
10-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowrulesupreme View Post

We are asking for stuff to be put in the C-store for the KDF so we can buy it and improve the cashflow for Cryptic.
I play all three races, mostly Romulan lately. But I always play Romulan in every ST game I ever play, so it wasnt the OPness that made me switch. However, my problem with KDf is simple. The c-store was set up by Mr. Scrouge. It has probably the worst return on investment of any faction and its not even close. Ignoring the 3 pack ships for a second the KDF have to pay four fleet modules for almost every tier 5 ship they have. The exception is the B'rel, Karfi, Varanus, Marauder, and Guramba. Only one of those is even Klingon and it needs a tier 5 SB for another eng slot Three others don't even have a fleet version. The last one is a sci boat that is strangely unpopular. It nearly mirrors a Deep Space Science vessel which I see little of Fed side either. Also, it does NOT have a cloak but still has less shields then the fed counterpart. No wonder all you ever see in PvP from KDF are bugs, Recluses, and Temporal ships. KDF side is very alt unfriendly. I was in disbelief when a Rom captain with the LoR Legacy pack could get just about any fleet ship he wanted with a single fleet module each. Sure the upfront cost was harsh, but earning one fleet module is easy to do when you decide what fleet ship you want on each of your toons. I'd rather do LoR then fork out the dough for a bug on a single character. Cryptic needs to redo KDF c-store in the worst way. No new player will put up with that mess.
Captain
# 43
10-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
I have had Dan himself explain the situation about Klingon fanbased sales to me in two seperate interviews. The first was during a interview that took place inthe dark times of yhe game when even cups where scarce in the breakroom. I did not give his statement wieght then as my hate for Cryptics abuse of the KDF ran high.
The second chance I had to listen to him was in the recent LoR release interview. I gave that second time far more wieght and believed his words, understood his point of view based off of decades of marketing data from IPs true owners. I was not happy but satisfied that we as a fanbase are not hated or even set aside without some regret over how as fans being set so aside effects us.
I actually do not blaim the Devs or Dan, as they do great work when thier hearts are in it for the KDF. I do blaim the policy though that has come to be that limits them on risking doing more for us.
My true anget now is for those fans who continue to kick us while we are still down with platitudes of " STO is only about the feds" or " The KDF only have themselves to blaim" or " Its only payback for how the KDF have ruined STO with thier complaints" and even the boldest of lies" The Romulans paid the bills that keep the KDF ingame".
This the arrogant elitism I speak against. The koolaid fueled sermons that do nothing but rub our noses in our prediciment and blaim us for our fate.
These fans whom get thier kicks in while we are down and then retreat back to thier soapbox of elitism.
I would lay some blame in the strategy that they rolled out the KDF faction with, not matching the level of content that the Fed's had did much to drop the number of KDF users and stalled the interest of people actually beginning the "primary" toon as KDF and keep the character they played the most in KDF. I understand that they were trying for the "feel" of the KDF with PvP advancement, but it backfired.
Captain
# 44
10-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Quote:

I used to give DStahl the benefit of the doubt-I guess we've switched positions significantly-the watershed for me, was very recent, with Cryptic announcing the push-back of the C-store KDF ship slotted for this year to support developing Voth content (an honest and honorable action-were it not for what happened next...)

and two weeks later they're rolling out the best cruiser in the game for the Feds.

Apparently the resources weren't stretched that thin.

WE get an excuse, they get a new ship.

at some point, you just have to give up, and realize that "we're sorry" just doesn't explain or excuse anything-because they're not. It's not their (the developers) faction, they don't and won't play it (and why not? they don't want to play from a disadvantage anymore than anyone else does), the priority is equal to or less than zero for KDF.

Things you'll never see:

Balanced factions-this will never happen. Part of it is the need to pay for the game, part of this is because you'll also never see:

Developers tooling around Qo'noS or the warzones in KDF ships, with KDF toons, devs running KDF ships in PvP arenas or C&H, or a developer in a KDF ship in an STF. They'll do it with feds in fed ships, or lockbox ships, but no, folks, there are no KDF players on the Development staff-and there never will be.

They'll play (Fed aligned) Romulans, but that's as close as it will ever come.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."

I play KDF, because being a genocidal maniac works better with Klingons, than explaining it as a member of Starfleet.
Career Officer
# 45
10-11-2013, 11:09 AM
the one really big thing i find annoying is that cryptic said that due to the lack of Klingon players they are going to wind back the number of ships that are made for the Klingon where federation keep getting new ships. the federation have more than enough free-kin ships where as the Klingon only hope for any new ships is out of lock boxes same thing with romulans even though they are still relitivly new to the game here is from the wiki a link that shows how many federation ships there are compared to the Klingon this need to be changed there are more Klingon players now a days thanks to the new leveling system so show just a little love to us please thats all im really asking

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Playable_starship
Empire Veteran
# 46
10-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
I used to give DStahl the benefit of the doubt-I guess we've switched positions significantly-the watershed for me, was very recent, with Cryptic announcing the push-back of the C-store KDF ship slotted for this year to support developing Voth content (an honest and honorable action-were it not for what happened next...)

and two weeks later they're rolling out the best cruiser in the game for the Feds.

at some point, you just have to give up, and realize that "we're sorry" just doesn't explain or excuse anything-because they're not. It's not their (the developers) faction, they don't and won't play it (and why not? they don't want to play from a disadvantage anymore than anyone else does), the priority is equal to or less than zero for KDF.

Things you'll never see:

Balanced factions-this will never happen. Part of it is the need to pay for the game, part of this is because you'll also never see:

Developers tooling around Qo'noS or the warzones in KDF ships, with KDF toons, devs running KDF ships in PvP arenas or C&H, or a developer in a KDF ship in an STF. They'll do it with feds in fed ships, or lockbox ships, but no, folks, there are no KDF players on the Development staff-and there never will be.

I said I now understand thier policy, not that I forgave or approved.

It helps me better justify why I do not play or spend time or money as much in STO as I used to in the past.
I once played daily and took constant part, now.... is meh. The occasional grind for EC and not much more than once a week.
Why take part when the policy is against you and offers little to entice.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Empire Veteran
# 47
10-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post

Things you'll never see:

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel about it, they really could throw the KDF a bone once in awhile (aka more than once in every 2+ years) if they so wanted. Maybe if they actually listened to what the KDF players want and they delivered on it then they would actually have something to tempt us into spending money.
toDuj 'oS rol.
Survivor of Romulus
# 48
10-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Quote:
I said I now understand thier policy, not that I forgave or approved.

It helps me better justify why I do not play or spend time or money as much in STO as I used to in the past.
I once played daily and took constant part, now.... is meh. The occasional grind for EC and not much more than once a week.
Why take part when the policy is against you and offers little to entice.
You know, when I read something like this from a valiant warrior and supporter of the KDF as yourself, I really don't understand what the hell Cryptic is thinking.

I mean - they've already got the base line down great, at least in my opinion. The UI, the gameplay, everyhting in STO is really user friendly to me - this is one of the basic things that make the foundations of a quality game. Then there is their F2P model that is probably the most generous one in the industry.

And then.....when it comes to the factions, they flop. I just don't understand it, it's like they're off to a great start, they make a fun game.....and they flop. Maybe it's just me, but I simply don't understand it.

It seems like they've never seen what factions are like in any other games, especially competitors to STO. Factions in MMOs are meant to be equal. It's meant to entertain the people who want to do/see things from "this" or "that" perspective. Over here the factions are a mess. There is one "main" faction (which in a game with multiple factions is ridiculos), then there is another faction (the KDF) which gets satisfied with crums (show me any other multi-faction quality title that has such discrepancies between the factions) and now there are the Romulans, which are not a faction of their own technically (which I really believed they would be even with the alliance system untill I reached lvl 50 and have everyone calling my Romulan "Starfleet") but still enjoy the popularity of being OP.
And I will not buy the "Romulans had to be like this due to game engine" unless a Dev. comes in a thread and tells me "Look Shpoks, our game engine rally can't sustain 3-way PvP and 3 factions. Seriously.".

Yes, the popular "KDF does not make enough money". I don't buy the "There's only 20% of Klingon fans at conferences" thing. This is an MMO, it's not a confernce or a TV show. And from what I can read on these forums, more the half of the people don't have a clear idea of what Star Trek actually is. Gamers, give them quality experience and give them enough content and they won't be basing their choice on "The Federation is the hero faction" because they wouldn't care.
The truth of the matter is that if the KDF was created equal as the Fed. faction there would be at least 35% vs 65% of player dispersion and that is being sceptical. Personally I'd say 60%-40% only because the Feds have Humans. If the Romulans were also made equal, they'd probably bring it to 40-30-30 or at least 50-30-20.

The sad truth is that KDF didn't make money because it has less players than Fed, which is a direct consequence of turning the KDF into PvP faction due to lack of time at launch and then allowing Fed vs. Fed PvP afterwards. Then lock the KDF behind 25 levels of Fed. gameplay. And make the content they have 50% less than the Federation, while being badly copy-pasted Fed. content as well. Ofcourse less players will play it.

Then came LoR, the long awaited filling out the KDF to become a full faction. Sadly though, LoR also brought the largest power creep in STO to this date, in which the KDF had no part. So again, not many people play KDF. Are you really suprised? What players would want to gimp themselves on purpose by playing KDF unless they're part of the group of hardcore KDF fans? Yes Cryptic finally made the KDF a full experience, but left the KDF in Feb. 2012 when it comes to competitive end-game gameplay. Are you suprised that not many people came over Cryptic? I hoped that having the STO team doubled would aleviate some of these issues, but it clearly has not yet.

But the things that puzzle the hell out of me the most are these:
- When they make Klignon content, it's epic. But this only happens once in a blue moon.
- When they make Klingon ships, they're awesome. But it happens once in a blue moon.
- When they make Klingon armors, they're epic. But it happens once in a blue moon.
- When they make anything KDF, it seems much more Star Trek than anything else.

They're obviously very good at it, why don't they do more? I have always wondered this. I always thought that making KDF stuff as little as it is, is one of Cryptic's strong points.

Meh, sorry about this rather large rant it turned out to be. It's just that I see so much more potential in STO than it has achieved so far.

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of those people that just wanted a full faction experience as KDF and I am really glad to have it with LoR. Personally, I very much enjoy the KDF faction, especially now when I have characters that went through the whole experience and the new tutorial and awesome missions. I don't really care about ships too much, I love using my Bortasqu'. I'm just talking from a perspective to make the KDF grow and have sustainable number of players, which is not that hard as some people make it sound.

Last edited by shpoks; 10-11-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 49
10-11-2013, 07:34 PM
I really wonder why Cryptic doesn't simply release some 5 tac console, 5 fore weapon monstrosity for the KDF with stats at least on par with the Scimitar. Surely they would make their money back by virtue of the fact it would outclass the ships all KDF characters already have. Then, others in their Avenger or Scimitar would see the stats and want it - regardless of the fact it's Klingon, and so they would have to play the Klingon faction, which would bolster numbers and bring in the pretty pretty money...

That wouldn't be too much work, surely?
Captain
# 50
10-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke89305092 View Post
I really wonder why Cryptic doesn't simply release some 5 tac console, 5 fore weapon monstrosity for the KDF with stats at least on par with the Scimitar. Surely they would make their money back by virtue of the fact it would outclass the ships all KDF characters already have. Then, others in their Avenger or Scimitar would see the stats and want it - regardless of the fact it's Klingon, and so they would have to play the Klingon faction, which would bolster numbers and bring in the pretty pretty money...

That wouldn't be too much work, surely?
Because...it's for the KDF. That is why they won't.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."

I play KDF, because being a genocidal maniac works better with Klingons, than explaining it as a member of Starfleet.