Ensign
# 21
10-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Well its nice to see I'm not the only one! A lot of it for me is the immersion factor, like who would just leave when the flagship comes. Its just mainly rude because other people like to finish what they start. Anyway, leaving isn't really a shortcut or will get you marks faster, there is other events to do. Isn't it really boring to just do fleet alert over and over anyway?
Cryptic Studios Team
# 22
10-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Any time rewards per minute per effort are out of line, aberrant behavior follows. This one's been on my radar for awhile now, but takes a couple of people working together to fix, so it's nontrivial (we have to restructure how the mission gives out rewards, rather than just changing the rewards that are being given, if that makes sense). Hopefully we'll get to change this in the near future - I agree it's unfun to have your "allies" abandon you just because "gotta get my farms".
Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
Career Officer
# 23
10-11-2013, 08:35 PM
well i noticed once the bulk of marks are given players are bolting so the rewards need to come at end
nice to see you are watching it
Career Officer
# 24
10-11-2013, 09:20 PM
I suppose the solution is to have a scoring system with a reward given only at the end, based on score. Like ANR or the Spire mission on Tribble.
Rihannsu
# 25
10-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean2448 View Post
well i noticed once the bulk of marks are given players are bolting so the rewards need to come at end
nice to see you are watching it
Well, the final wave gives nearly no marks.... if it gave twice the marks of the second to last wave then it'd be a lot better.

@ Hawk: would it be possible to simply change the reward numbers to give the waves increasing payouts?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.

Last edited by markhawkman; 10-11-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Career Officer
# 26
10-11-2013, 10:15 PM
the people that leaves fleet alert at boss spawn are hunting those boss for accolades. that's why they leave.

They should get a penalty for leaving on purpose.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
Any time rewards per minute per effort are out of line, aberrant behavior follows. This one's been on my radar for awhile now, but takes a couple of people working together to fix, so it's nontrivial (we have to restructure how the mission gives out rewards, rather than just changing the rewards that are being given, if that makes sense). Hopefully we'll get to change this in the near future - I agree it's unfun to have your "allies" abandon you just because "gotta get my farms".
When you find the time to work at this please make sure to investigate how it behaves with an active fleet mark bonus pool too. Because at least during the event hour an active bonus pool actually decreases the amount of fleet marks you get.
Captain
# 28
10-12-2013, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylanadionysis View Post
Um, not to jump at you or anything, but there are members of the STO community, myself included, that are achiever archetype (look it up) and are seeking the accolades sets of bosses. Are you saying your gameplay is more valid than mine?
I would point out that both Mark Farmers and Achievement Hunters are forms of Achiever gameplay. Both of them are attempting to optimize their payouts here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealguru View Post
the people that leaves fleet alert at boss spawn are hunting those boss for accolades. that's why they leave.
...and as someone else neatly pointed out, it's your fellow accolade hunters that are ditching you, for the specific reason that the game gave them the wrong named boss. For THOSE people, YOUR people, staying earns them a 30-minute ban and no accolade for their trouble. In fact, since you discount the marks as valueless, your people are going to continue bailing on you when they don't get the named boss they want. So basically, yes, I understand your position...but perhaps unfortunately for you, the logical outcome of both goals is bailing. If anything, the Mark Farmers are easier to convince to stay than the Achievement Hunters. Since Mark Farmers want a specific numerical reward, merely increasing the reward to match their needs will get them to stay. But the Achievement Hunters, like yourself? They don't get their named boss, the entire exercise was a waste of time, and you don't even care about the marks, and staying nets them a 30 minute ban for their trouble. Why should they stay and get banned on your behalf? If they are particularly generous, they might help you do some damage before they extricate themselves, but they're running serious risks of getting banned here for doing it, if you kill the thing before they can break off and leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylanadionysis View Post
Oh and the other thing, if you need to exploit the no-cd timer on fleet alerts for marks, youre seriously doing it wrong. I get over 300 a day (yes every day) just from running my commendation missions. I always have 3, and sometimes 4, ready to run. (not even 1 minute of time spent)
You'll get no argument from me there. I pointed out this very thing in my post: That the people farming the thing were doing it wrong just by being there, as the pay is crap, and you lose 20% of that pay for each non-fleet member present, as nonmembers effectively leech your pay for no return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
It's one thing to setup a PRIVATE instance where you do that, but it's another thing altogether to do that in PUGs. Like Rylan and Reyan pointed out, people have a wide variety of reasons to play, and your behavior is destructive in a PUG.
You'll get no argument from me there, either. I agree with you. Those people are short-sighted fools. This thread is a testament to that. This thread should not exist, and would not exist if not for their short-sighted idiocy. You'll never see me pugging this mission, ever, for the simple reason that doing so costs me between 20-80% of my pay.

The fact that this behavior exists, however, is the logical outcome of the system.

Last edited by doffingcomrade; 10-12-2013 at 03:56 AM.
Captain
# 29
10-12-2013, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
Im curious about this actually. Why couldnt you just go into whatever line orders the instance to award "4" marks on completion of that wave, and just change that 4 to 24 or something.

Add a 2?
Vice Admiral Rylana - U.S.S. DNT Omega X || Vice Admiral Lyzara - I.R.W. DNT Omicron X
Vice Admiral Kailiana - R.R.W. DNT Theta X || Vice Admiral Talina - I.R.W. DNT Tau X
Vice Admiral Victoria - U.S.S. DNT Upsilon X || Lt. General Dannika - I.K.S. DNT Sigma X
Vice Admiral Shondra - R.R.W. DNT Alpha X || Lt. General Rosanna - I.K.S. DNT Iota X
=== Vice Squad/House of Tlhap-Jen ===
Career Officer
# 30
10-12-2013, 07:14 AM
I'm also of the achiever/accolade archetype and do not care for FM from FA, more profitable ways to get it and do this is sort of thing solely for the accolade (so changing the reward system won't necessarily deter accoladers leaving). Once I've got them I do that event if I feel like it or want to help those that are accolade hunting (and yes I do help, I frequently shout out or offer my help in Accolades channel).

In this specific case of Fleet Alerts, the one thing I feel that makes it worse (people leaving) is the randomness of the accolades not to mention the mislabeled ones. The Khellid accolade is the biggest culprit and I feel has turned a huge amount of the accolade community off from trying to earn them or stop accolade hunting altogether because they can't take the Cryptic random generator screwing them over. If there wasn't the need to repeatedly try our luck at this sort of thing then you'd solve the problem of the accolade group leaving. STF accolades are based on completion so why not FA's? Give people an incentive to stay not reasons to bail (aside from the 30m vs few less fm reward and chance to trying to get the accolade they want).
Kirk's Protege - 19/11/2012
Kirk's Protege Jr - 30/05/2014
[1/5 5:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 964780 (1581938) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.