Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Career Officer
# 1 Use of Saitek X52 Throttle
10-13-2013, 12:24 AM
Hi all

I've opened a thread in the general section, so I am trying again to see if anyone can resolve this issue.

I have purchased an X52 to play with various games (like Xplane, MWonline and Falcon), so I tried to hook it up to play also STO; mainly for the throttle unit, so I can use my left hand to control the speed of the ship, and the POV control and the other buttons to steer the ship and use weapons, while my right hand uses the mouse to select targets, use skills and energy settings.

Now it is interesting to notice that the throttle control is correctly recognized in game, so I tried to assign the throttle to the control analog axis, and I was surprised to see that it won't work as I would expect.

When I go up to the max, the ship throttle goes up of one unit, which means that to go to full impulse, I have to go back and forth between the 0 and the 100 of the throttle control, every time that I want to increment the ship speed throttle of one level (there are 4 levels so 4 times). To go reverse. same: gotta go back and forth 4 times, and then the 5th time I have to keep the throttle lever back, so the ship goes in reverse.

Is this an issue with the drivers, the game or my inability to assign controls? I had very little problems to use other games, even train simulator was happy to accept my throttle control by itself (I disconnected the joystick, since I don't use it, but I tried with it connected and the issue is the same), working properly when I was changing the throttle with the lever.

Does anyone uses the X52 (non pro, the regular one) and could tell me what to do to configure the throttle unit for STO?

Thanks!