Captain
# 161
10-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
i can live with balance. but these are all vastly different alien species, its not believable that there wouldn't be a variety of traits, instead of them all having the same 2 or 3.

im someone who actually uses romulans correctly, to thier strengths. not spending the whole match decloaked and dogfighting fed scorts that have 40 more shield power then i do. its true, i almost never see other roms 'doing it right', but a rom used well is without peer in game. plus a rom captain in a bug or other lock box ship has up to 20 more defense score, and a minimum of 15% crit chance. thats from the boffs, standard issue for the rom faction. thus, this thread
I completely concur. There should be boffs that buff particle gens/gravitons/decompiler/armor/hull hitpoint/etc. Those gaping fields where there's just no boff that fits the shoe should be there as much as captain species need an innate boost.

Somethings gatta give I say
Captain
# 162
10-11-2013, 08:52 AM
To be honest, something I've always been kind of surprised by is the following:

Captains have the Skills (and 5 Abilities).
BOFFs have all the other Abilities (but no Skills).

So I've always wondered why some of the benefit from skills didn't come from BOFFs. Sure, the obvious thing is the charging for Skill Respecs - but wouldn't that still happen since folks switch around Consoles that boost Skills anyway?

With various races providing various combinations of skill boosts vs. other boosts, one opens up the dilemma of cost opportunity in selecting BOFFs and BOFF species. It would give Cryptic more room for play.
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder
Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethaen, M.Qin - Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba
Captain
# 163
10-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
To be honest, something I've always been kind of surprised by is the following:

Captains have the Skills (and 5 Abilities).
BOFFs have all the other Abilities (but no Skills).

So I've always wondered why some of the benefit from skills didn't come from BOFFs. Sure, the obvious thing is the charging for Skill Respecs - but wouldn't that still happen since folks switch around Consoles that boost Skills anyway?

With various races providing various combinations of skill boosts vs. other boosts, one opens up the dilemma of cost opportunity in selecting BOFFs and BOFF species. It would give Cryptic more room for play.
Mostly I think the skill tab for boffs is terribly outdated, myself. I believe their design was supposed to instill while a captain commands the vessel they have to have intimate knowledge in said areas in order for their boffs to be trusted with the task. Your point does bring to light, however, some interesting opportunity.

I'm assuming that you're mentioning that if a boff has a specialization that fits one of said skills they're trained in that they should/could have much more definitive results from being employed at that station?

If that's the route you were going sign me up. I'm on board. More space traits for boffs and even better if those traits mirror against the abilities so there's no one-boff to rule the all standard.
Career Officer
We need space traits on every BOFF, please

Ensign
# 165
12-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Most definitely space traits on all boffs makes sense and would make for a interesting diverse gaming world. Please make it so Cryptic.
Empire Veteran
# 166
12-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikosss View Post
Most definitely space traits on all boffs makes sense and would make for a interesting diverse gaming world. Please make it so Cryptic.
hopefully this is one of the things they have been keeping close to their chest
the pvp build and help thread
gateway links(should actually work now) -->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
# 167
12-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Yes I can imagine it now.

Revamp of boff traits!

New lockbox boff traits.
------
It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
This is the last thing I will post.
Empire Veteran
# 168
12-05-2013, 10:23 AM
If they did add new BOFF space traits to all BOFFs, or at least a lot more of em, it might be wise if they didn't stack AT ALL for any BOFFs.

So that way having the issue of '5' of everything would disappear over night. Romulans could only have one of each of their unique space traits, you also couldn't stack multiple Nausicaans as well and so on. It would also give the devs more wiggle room, because they wouldn't need to worry about BOFFs stacking, so they could afford to make each new trait actually worthwhile.

Oh yes, BOFF traits should stack with captain traits. A person made a willing choice on their species when they made their character, and they shouldn't be 'punished' for it by not having their captain trait stack with BOFF traits.

Captain
# 169
12-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Agreed. For instance, "Superior Operative" and "Operative" stacks but not 2 of any of those 2.

I'm shocked they haven't already. It makes 0 logical sense not to.
May good management be with you.
Ensign
# 170
12-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Maybe the next fleet holding is trait related?
Like a Advanced Military Academy for new traits.