Captain
# 311
10-17-2013, 05:00 AM
Hmm the Voth became an intelligent species around 60 million years ago. Their tech is far more advanced than anything the Feds or Klingons can come up with. And yet you are supposed to fight them... and win. To me this is far more unrealistic and silly than bio engineered dinosaurs firing laser beams from their heads.
Starfleet Veteran
# 312
10-17-2013, 05:04 AM
Wasn't one the films focused around going back in time to save whales, In order to communicate with a space probe that threatened to destroy earth unless a whale spoke to it?

But dinosaurs? THAT'S JUST ABSURD!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We won't go back, you don't know what its like in our Universe, the original timeline had gone, JJ Abrahms is everywhere"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylanadionysis View Post
just shut up
Career Officer
# 313
10-17-2013, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by szim View Post
Hmm the Voth became an intelligent species around 60 million years ago. Their tech is far more advanced than anything the Feds or Klingons can come up with. And yet you are supposed to fight them... and win. To me this is far more unrealistic and silly than bio engineered dinosaurs firing laser beams from their heads.
The devs mentioned it in a blog, and it was mentioned briefly in Voyager, but while they've been around 60 million years, their Doctrine does not allow them to progress quickly. Each and every advance needs to be balanced and argued theologically before it's even considered to go towards the drawing board.

During Voyager, they were more advanced, but not unbelievably so when compared to Starfleet Tech. It kind of makes sense that if Starfleet was slightly less advanced 100 years ago, they'd be roughly equal now, considering how fast Starfleet and the KDF advance tech.
Career Officer
# 314
10-17-2013, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by szim View Post
This is probably what annoys me the most about this whole scenario.

I mean, okay, STO's Starfleet has progressed technologically, but I've seen no evidence that their tech is as advanced as the Voth's - we certainly can't transport entire Starships!

What weapons do their ships use? What energy type? We didn't find out in 'Distant Origin' because they didn't use said weapons. And why was that? BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T NEED TO! It would have been a waste of their time and energy. This is a race that beamed an entire STARSHIP into a 'hold' on their city ship and then rendered it completely powerless.

Seriously - the Voth should be laughing at us, because IF they still had the abilities that they had in 'Distant Origin' Starfleet really wouldn't be much of, if any, threat to them at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Survivor of Romulus
# 315
10-17-2013, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
This is probably what annoys me the most about this whole scenario.

I mean, okay, STO's Starfleet has progressed technologically, but I've seen no evidence that their tech is as advanced as the Voth's - we certainly can't transport entire Starships!

What weapons do their ships use? What energy type? We didn't find out in 'Distant Origin' because they didn't use said weapons. And why was that? BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T NEED TO! It would have been a waste of their time and energy. This is a race that beamed an entire STARSHIP into a 'hold' on their city ship and then rendered it completely powerless.

Seriously - the Voth should be laughing at us, because IF they still had the abilities that they had in 'Distant Origin' Starfleet really wouldn't be much of, if any, threat to them at all.
Agreed, they pretty much ignored Voyagers shields, beamed her into their ship and then rendered her useless by taking over the ship remotely..

Not one weapon was fired, and Voyager was defenceless. I very much doubt Federation tech has moved on enough to beat that lol

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) - I only play one char now, such is the state of the game..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsune424 View Post
Here is your ticket to the USS Stupidity, Third class, four tacks on the chair, rules state you MUST sit on the chair, no standing, or hovering above the tacks, thank you have a nice day
Career Officer
# 316
10-17-2013, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfrancks View Post
Agreed, they pretty much ignored Voyagers shields, beamed her into their ship and then rendered her useless by taking over the ship remotely..

Not one weapon was fired, and Voyager was defenceless. I very much doubt Federation tech has moved on enough to beat that lol
And the Federation taking on vastly more advanced civilizations in war, and winning never made it into anything canon. It's not like Voyager didn't destroy the Borg queen, the Enterprise took on Nero's ship, oh lets not forget not only beating the Borg once, but multiple times in both the series and movies, oh and of course the Dominion war as well. It's probably why it's not a Federation task to fight the Voth, but an alliance of Federation, Klingon, and Romulan, an alliance that was capable of fighting off a vastly superior technological and military Dominion, and the Dominion wanted to win. The Voth just want us to leave them alone.

Plus, Voyager made it home, with its database intact, which means the Federation has probably been working on ways to counter the Voth and what the Voyager went through, so it's not like the Federation isn't aware of what the Voth can do.

And that's just canon. Lets not even add in the Elachi, continual contact with the Borg and the addition of Borg technology in almost every Federation ship out there, the Undine threat, the Iconians being even more of a pain in the neck, the return of the Dominion and the return of minor diplomatic ties with them that has been introduced in STO.

So actually, considering it's been a known Star Trek theme that the Federation always wins against greater odds, and the technological advances that the Federation and the KDF has experienced, as well as it's an alliance against the Voth, not just the Federation, an alliance that in canon was pretty much able to defeat almost anything thrown against it, why is this such a stretch?
Starfleet Veteran
# 317
10-17-2013, 06:04 AM
I want to fight Dinos more than I wanted NR in the game.
I thinking I will be needing one of those Mechanical Exosuits.
The experience needs to be something like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NaBHCuxqhA

How close are we going to get?
Republic Veteran
# 318
10-17-2013, 06:25 AM
We all get a thousand zen for supporting this, right?

On topic, not crazy about Dinosaurs with lasers on their heads. It feels sort of like kung fu pandas in another popular game.
# 319 season 9
10-17-2013, 06:50 AM
So I saw somewhere season 9 is going to introduce a planet named morder and during our missions there we have to steal the 1.1 ring and help a buncha hubbets
ya know that's what I heard ........

but seriously in trek almost anything is possible and before you pass judgement try the content out and as they say no one is holding phaser to your head makingyou play the game afterall
Lt. Commander
# 320
10-17-2013, 07:29 AM
C`mon first its about crossfaction ships with breen 1st officers and jemhadar boffs and an unrealistic aproach to the war between feds and klinks who suddenly join agains a bigger threat while keeping ion fighting each other and now your comming up with dinosaurs???

I have to say it bluntly, i hate the idea. Trek was about exploration, space battles and moral discussion where you learnt something new everyday, the joy was in understanding and striving for a greater cause while trying to get away from thenbegative side in all of us.
Sure it sounds a bit dull but thats what made trick big. Sci fi effects and moral plays in a starship.
I know today things have to be darker and more combat centric as this sells best asfar as were being told by basicly all games on the market now and movies.
However, that game, that sto thing used to be fun, now it more and more degenerates into something utterly childish.
This isnt star wars with magic forces and little kids wielding glowsticks and jumping 50 foot gaps.
This is meant to be star trek, you know , the sci fi for grown ups, you know those who ave jobs and earmn money to spend on a game like sto.
Alot of your paying customers arent 12 anymore.

While im all for creativity, this is unoriginal and fails to give the voth uniqueness, it just makes them silly.
I know its a game, and it isnt there to be taken too seriously, sure, i get that.
We come here to have fun, and most seem to have fun blowing things up in space, enjoying an episode or a nice little foundry mission. Some dig the grinding because theywant the best stuff available.
Some have fun in pvp blowing each other up. So what, lots of fun in all of those.
Fun would be a game with less bugs, a wee bit more customization on the things that actually matter for gameplay and well thought out stories that not only tickles the trigger finger but also the mind.

I will give it a try but im quite upset about this stuff so i doubt i can enjoy it enough to play it more than once. My Zen will definitly only go to ships or dill for other stuff than this or as tips for some well made foundry missions.

This dino thing feels like kindergarten.
Cruisers ftw!

Last edited by erhardgrund; 10-17-2013 at 07:33 AM.