Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Romulan Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Commander
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 267
# 11
10-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiqa View Post
Hmm, you have a point on flared shoulder pads. Perhaps they can do the M.A.C.O. idea. at Mk XI you have very light shoulders. But the Mk XII has heavier pauldrons for better protection.
It's almost to be expected that as the Mk # increases from X to XI to XII the appearance of the parts and pieces on the armor get ... beefier. That's the precedent set with all of the other Ground Sets, and there's no reason to expect a Romulan Anti-Borg Ground Set to be any different in *that* regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiqa View Post
Hmm, since this is probably going to be RRW only they will most likely go with the new raptor only. If they do give the option I agree whole heartedly to make one gold and the other silver, too.
Best way to handle this particular wrinkle would be to have the actual armor ITEM have a RRW Raptor with upwards wings and the "egg" shaping to it done in silver ... but then for the Mk XI and Mk XII Costume Reward options for completing those sets, when you're in the Costume Editor at the Tailor and are selecting a Belt for your Uniform, you have two options on the Belt ... a Gold Imperial Raptor or a Silver Republican Raptor. That way the "default" on the item itself is a Silver Republican Raptor, but if you complete the set and choose to make take it as a costume design you can then select the Gold Imperial Raptor, thereby supporting both options by extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiqa View Post
My only reservation on armouring the thighs is it possibly being a bit thick for a 'trim' suit. Perhaps hard portion 'pads'?
I do like the idea of hard greaves with a piece going over the kneecap.
The main thrust of the "sleek chic" aesthetic I'm advocating for is that I want to steer things away from a "macho" sort of Warhammer 40k-ish "humungo armor" look that's all "masculinized" into being a gigantic torso, shoulders bigger than the head (each), and a general "tank like" appearance of just really heavy, heavy, HEAVY armor. If it helps any, I'm thinking more along the lines of a "Light Plate and Mail" sort of armor, rather than a "Field Plate" or even a "Full Plate" type of appearance, so as to make the whole thing *look* like it ought to be nimble and evasive/elusive rather than built to Timex specs ("takes a licking and keeps on ticking"). Mind you, we're talking high tech space armor here, not AC vs THAC0 material pulled from first edition AD&D.

The key thing is though that for anti-Borg combat you're going to want a lot of HARD surfaces on your armor because any flexible or "soft" armor is going to be a Weak Point for injecting assimilating nanites, so you need something that would be defensive against such "injector" attacks. This is why I recommend using a hard ceramic shell material and having that armor protect the thighs as well as the shins so as to not create a gigantic "weak spot" in the upper leg region. Spartan Warriors and Athenian Hoplites could get away with not wearing thigh armor because they carried nice big shields to protect those areas (as "mobile" armor). We don't exactly get the "luxury" of carrying armored shields in STO (we just get "magic" personal shields with a Blue Bar), so as far as Art Direction and appearances for armor goes, not having a hard armor on the thighs would be a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiqa View Post
I do like the blued silver for under portions with varied green upper portions. I mentioned shades of green so it could carry highlights and not look like a green blotch. Darker shade definitely work as well.
My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiqa View Post
I liked the plasma/plasma you went with. It has a better feel for it. But none of the other highend armours came with a lingering effect like the plasma grenade does. I suggested the disruptor over/under concept to be unique and have an alternative incase they want to nix the grenade launcher.
A significant portion of my thoughts with the weapon was the simple fact that Romulans have a Ground Trait that allows them to deal more damage with Plasma Weapons. By throwing a Disruptor damage type into the mix you are diluting the advantage and return on investment of selecting that particular Romulan Trait.
Commander
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 267
# 12
10-18-2013, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapla1755 View Post
I haven't tested the peircing beam rifle vs the Borg since rapid fire weapons tend to be adapted to quickly
I have run Infected Manus (elite) a few times with my outrageously underpowered Mk IX (white!) Plasma Piercing Rifle and I haven't noticed that the Borg adapt to the weapon any faster than any others. My guess is that just like the situation with procs on space weapons, where the proc chance isn't checked per shot but rather per attack (or volley, if you prefer), the coding behind Borg Adaptation relies on a system of stacking up adaptation per attack rather than per hit ... and for precisely the reason of leveling the playing field for rapid fire weaponry (or at least, not tilting it so far against them as to be disruptive to game balance).

So I suspect that what people are encountering with this bit of "common knowledge" that rapid fire weapons get adapted to (too) quickly is ... that the rapid fire weapons really have fast Recharge times on their attacks, rather than the fact that they fire in "bursts" of shots, each shot of which stacks up the Adaptation more quickly because the Adaptation rate depends on shots that hit, rather than "attacks" that hit (if the distinction I'm making here has meaning for you).

So people are both right (in one sense) AND wrong (in another) about this particular bit of conventional wisdom on this subject, methinks. And I say that because my common Piercing Plasma Rifle Mk IX actually does do a nice stream of damage numbers for almost the same span of time as any other weapon in my experience in the same situations.
Commander
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 267
# 13
10-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
I like the idea of a Ground Romulan set, but the stats you are suggesting would create so much Ground PvP imbalance it wouldn't even be funny. For example, +100% all energy damage for 6 seconds every time you critically hit? A tactical officer can critically hit about once every half a second in ground PvP. They would be oneshotting people with stun pistols if such a set went live.
... *sigh* ...

I had really hoped this wouldn't be necessary, especially for people who profess to know their way around PvP. So ... let's look at what I actually wrote in my first post, instead of what you imagine I wrote, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnturning View Post
Romulan Intruder Personal Shield
Mk X (Very Rare) requires Romulan Reputation Tier I
Mk XI (Very Rare) requires Romulan Reputation Tier III
Mk XII (Very Rare) requires Romulan Reputation Tier V
Vice Admiral / Lieutenant General

+{X}% Dodge chance (scaled by Mk # and Rarity)
+{X} Root Resistance (scaled by Mk # and Rarity)
+{X} Knockback Resistance (scaled by Mk # and Rarity)
{X} Maximum Shield Capacity (scaled by Mk # and Rarity)
Fully regenerates after not taking damage for 3 secs.
When you Critically Hit apply Ambush Cloak
  • Targets Self Only
  • +100% All Energy Damage for 5 sec (expires on next attack)
  • +245 Stealth for 5 sec (expires on next attack)
So ... what does that mean?

First of all, I don't know where you're getting 6 seconds of +100% energy damage, since I clearly wrote 5 seconds, not 6 like you claim ... AND ... I very clearly wrote that the buff EXPIRES upon attacking ... which means it applies to ONE attack instead of 6 seconds worth of attacks.

So ... in gameplay ... what that would mean is ... if you Critically Hit while wearing this Shield, you go into Ambush "mode" ... and this effect lasts for either 5 seconds or until your next attack, whichever comes first, and then the Ambush Cloak expires ... meaning it only applies to ONE attack.

When using the Intrusion Rifle as I designed it in my first post, the most likely impact this would have on gameplay is that while maintaining a continuous Barrage of fire on a single target, intermittently (because of a Critical Hits), you'll get a +100% damage buff for a single volley of plasma shots during the continuous stream for a brief spike of damage (1 attack's worth) ... and you'll be able to "tell" because your avatar will oh-so-briefly do a Stealth animation and then fade right back to normal almost immediately because you're attacking continuously (hold down the mouse button) causing the Ambush Cloak to "expire" almost instantly.

As advertised in my first post in this thread, this would cause attackers using the full Set to "flicker" in and out of Ambush Cloak, which I think would make for a really interesting combat effect that would be uniquely Romulan.

Realistically speaking, in actual gameplay, just about the only way to leverage this into being something "more" than it really is would be to use something like a Sniper Rifle of some variety, and somehow manage to make the Ambush Cloak proc boost your 2nd attack on the Sniper Rifle for an extreme spike of Exploit damage against an Exposed target. However, needing to score a Critical Hit on *something* first in order to proc the Ambush Cloak would make being able to do this "on demand" a sufficiently Good Trick that at that point you need to applaud the player's skill (and patience) in setting up that shot more than you need to be complaining that they were able to take it (let alone make it).

Attacking continuously with a "rifle" type weapon ~3 times per second for 6 seconds with a +5% Energy Damage buff amounts to a +90% cumulative damage over time effect (roughly speaking) ... while for "pistol" type weapons that can fire as many as ~4 times per second (theoretically anyway) adds up to a +120% cumulative damage over time effect ... relative to the baseline. My point being that a +5% Energy Damage for 6 seconds buff effectively amounts to granting +1 "free shot" worth of damage delivered (roughly speaking) if attacking continuously for that entire span of time ... which is basically equivalent to putting +100% Energy Damage onto a single attack. The difference however between the two is Pressure vs Spike damage delivery, in which the "pressure" option is a lot more "forgiving" of player skill and opportunism (ie. if you make a mistake or miss an opportunity, you're not losing out on much), while the "spike" option is pretty much All Or Nothing, use it or lose it, which is a lot LESS forgiving of circumstances and opportunities in actual gameplay.

So ... Equivalent But DIFFERENT.



Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
There's also the matter of giving two tactical officer abilities to the other classes with no regard for the imbalance that would create. Medics with stealth module, any ground PvPer will read that line and tell you how impossible it would make killing science officers.
Once again, let's actually look at what I actually wrote, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnturning View Post
Set 2: Cloaking Module
Cloaking Module masks you from sight, but enemies can detect you at close range. While cloaked, your abilities that affect others (including attacks) are disabled.
Immediately after leaving stealth you will have a short duration damage bonus. This ability may be toggled on and off.
Targets Self
0.5 sec activate
20 sec recharge
+475 stealth

Skills that affect this ability:
Special Forces
So a "medic" using this ability would be unable to affect others while the Cloaking Module is active. Science Captains and Science Bridge Officers on the ground have no inherent ability to reduce Recharge times, since that's a Tactical Captains Only ability. This means that in PvP a Science Captain using the Cloaking Module is out of the fight until they toggle it off ... and once they've toggled it off, it's going to stay off for at least 20 seconds, nominally speaking.

If 20 seconds isn't long enough to kill a Science Captain or a Science Bridge Officer in PvP ... how much longer would you need to kill them? My point here being that if you can continuously fire upon a "medic" Science Officer (captain or bridge officer) for 15+ seconds and STILL not be able to kill them, then the root cause of the problem isn't in the possibility that "medics" can use a Cloaking Module to avoid letting you shoot at them.



Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
The armor providing a proc that boosts Critical chance up by 15% would only make things worse. This whole Romulan set is basically a super buffed up version of the current Omega set, not another alternative set option.
Again, let's look at what I actually wrote, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnturning View Post
Romulan Intrusion Armor
Mk X (Very Rare) requires Romulan Reputation Tier I
Mk XI (Very Rare) requires Romulan Reputation Tier III
Mk XII (Very Rare) requires Romulan Reputation Tier V
Bind on Pickup
Vice Admiral / Lieutenant General

+5% Critical Chance
+{X} Physical Damage Resistance Rating (scaled by Mk # and Rarity)
+{X} Kinetic Damage Resistance Rating (scaled by Mk # and Rarity)
+{X} All Energy Damage Resistance Rating (scaled by Mk # and Rarity)
+2.5% Critical Chance
+20% Critical Severity
When receiving All Damage, 10% chance of applying Target Analysis
  • +5% Critical Chance for 6 sec
By my accounting, that looks like a +7.5% Critical Chance on the armor, with a 10% chance to increase that to +12.5% (total) for 6 seconds. I don't know where you're getting the idea that this adds +15% Critical Chance on the armor like you claim. The only way you could get to that is by adding in the Set 3 bonus ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnturning View Post
Set 3: Team Ambush Field
Affects Friend and Self
+14.5 Dodge to self and allies
+2.5% Critical Chance
+2.5% Critical Severity
... which by the way is a carbon copy of the Set 3 bonus on Omega Force, as I'm sure you're already aware. If you're going for the Set 3 bonus then you're using the weapon too, which has a 40% chance for a "chance for +2.5 critical chance when attacking" which I copied verbatim off the Plasma Piercing Rifle Mk IX (common) writeup in-game. So what you're really looking at is a +Critical Chance of +10% nominally with a rare potential to spike up to a +17.5% for brief intervals (if the armor and the weapon both proc together). Even at an attack rate of ~3 shots per second on continuous fire, that still really means scoring a Critical every few seconds (like 2-4) of continuous fire (ie. every 5-12 attack volleys or so) while using a weapon that doesn't have an Exploit Attack.

Let me repeat that in case it wasn't already obvious enough.

The full Romulan Anti-Borg Ground Set as I've proposed it doesn't have an Exploit attack (unless if you count meleeing with the Rifle Butt attack) ... just like the Klingon Honor Guard Set doesn't have an Exploit attack. That's because rather than relying on Expose/Exploit to deal heavy damage, the set as I've proposed it instead relies on Critical Hits, which then proc the Ambush mechanic instead, thus creating a need for a 1-2 combo of attacks that yields a "pressure spike" of two heavy hits in a row (one Critical, one Damage buffed). And, as if that wasn't enough ... the weapon itself isn't a "spike" damage weapon but more of a "pressure" type weapon with its continuous fire mode. Heck, the Ambush Cloak is all but completely wasted on the Plasma Grenade attack because the only damage being enhanced on the grenade is the plasma damage over time since the explosion damage is Kinetic, not Energy.

Last edited by autumnturning; 10-18-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Commander
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 267
# 14
10-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapla1755 View Post
I think getting the romulan visual for the set would be the trickiest party and a version of the Centurion helmet really belongs as the MK XII headpiece. Interesting ideas to think about though.
As should already be abundantly apparent, I readily agree.

This is why I figured it isn't enough to just merely "throw numbers at the problem" and do Game Design In A Vacuum where all I have to do is come up with stats for the balance team (/em wave to Adjudicator Hawk) and then give the Art Department nothing to go on. THAT very much feels like a "job half done" instead of addressing the entire issue with the attention it would need (and deserves). Part of the problem though is that discussing the Art aspects can only be done through TEXT here in the forums, which isn't exactly the best medium for talking about VISUAL details that haven't even been done yet.

The ToS Centurion Helmet is ... yeah ... that's one of those "staring you in the face" kinds of blunt force obvious once it has been put on the table.
Commander
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 267
# 15
10-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmichc View Post
The Romulans, to my mind, are hit and run specialists, using their superior stealth technology and plasma weapons to hit hard and fast and escape before the enemy can retaliate.
Hence the Cloaking Module in the Set 2 bonus and the Ambush Cloak on the Personal Shield (since that's the most "sensible" place to put such a thing). It's really the best I can do for a "hit and run" combat style leveraging Stealth game mechanics. The STO ground combat system isn't really ideally suited to supporting a hit and run specialist ITEM set, since that's really more a matter of playstyle and player tactics (and build strategy beyond simple inventory items).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmichc View Post
So, I like the idea of a version of the piercing plasma weapons from RRW Command, but with a different secondary. I propose a hard-hitting plasma 'bolt', akin to the secondary on a standard High Density Beam rifle, as the secondary. This gives the RRW Set (or the Rihannsu Theirr as I started calling it) something of a unique weapon, and is fairly in keeping with the spirit of the Romulan ethos.
That's another option I wouldn't want to dismiss out of hand. I would however lodge the complaint that doing that would mean that the 1st attack on the weapon is a continuous stream of fire while the 2nd attack is basically a single "spike" damage bolt of energy that is also an Exploit attack that can hit multiple targets in a line. That has ... implications ... that a weapon capable of only a single target attack or throwing a plasma grenade doesn't have to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmichc View Post
But yes, I agree with an Integrated Targeting Armour or Recoil Compensating Armour as a basis for the armour shell, and with your thoughts on the shield.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmichc View Post
As for the look/art direction of the Rihannsu Theirr... Well, I like the idea of a sleek armour designed for stealthy movement, but obviously capable of taking a hit (One-Hit Kills from Heavy Tac Drones notwithstanding )and keeping on going.
The idea of a visored update of the old TOS-era helmet I like.
Glad you approve.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,051
# 16
10-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnturning View Post

First of all, I don't know where you're getting 6 seconds of +100% energy damage, since I clearly wrote 5 seconds, not 6 like you claim ... AND ... I very clearly wrote that the buff EXPIRES upon attacking ... which means it applies to ONE attack instead of 6 seconds worth of attacks.

So ... in gameplay ... what that would mean is ... if you Critically Hit while wearing this Shield, you go into Ambush "mode" ... and this effect lasts for either 5 seconds or until your next attack, whichever comes first, and then the Ambush Cloak expires ... meaning it only applies to ONE attack.

When using the Intrusion Rifle as I designed it in my first post, the most likely impact this would have on gameplay is that while maintaining a continuous Barrage of fire on a single target, intermittently (because of a Critical Hits), you'll get a +100% damage buff for a single volley of plasma shots during the continuous stream for a brief spike of damage (1 attack's worth) ... and you'll be able to "tell" because your avatar will oh-so-briefly do a Stealth animation and then fade right back to normal almost immediately because you're attacking continuously (hold down the mouse button) causing the Ambush Cloak to "expire" almost instantly.

As advertised in my first post in this thread, this would cause attackers using the full Set to "flicker" in and out of Ambush Cloak, which I think would make for a really interesting combat effect that would be uniquely Romulan.

Realistically speaking, in actual gameplay, just about the only way to leverage this into being something "more" than it really is would be to use something like a Sniper Rifle of some variety, and somehow manage to make the Ambush Cloak proc boost your 2nd attack on the Sniper Rifle for an extreme spike of Exploit damage against an Exposed target. However, needing to score a Critical Hit on *something* first in order to proc the Ambush Cloak would make being able to do this "on demand" a sufficiently Good Trick that at that point you need to applaud the player's skill (and patience) in setting up that shot more than you need to be complaining that they were able to take it (let alone make it).
You truly have no idea how easy it is for a tactical officer to get a critical hit. There are tactical officers with a 60% chance to critically hit. When firing full auto rifles, you've got a 6.4% chance of NOT critically hitting on a weapon cycle. 5 seconds is plenty of time to pop a group of Tactical officer buffs before taking a shot, in which case they could exceed 2800 damage without a Critical hit. This buff would be basically giving all classes an Ambush III with no cooldown, also conveniently limited to Romulans. It would be an I Win button when used with a pulsewave assault, compression pistol, split beam rifle, or sometimes a sniper rifle. To be honest, such a buff would ruin Ground PvP.


Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnturning View Post
Attacking continuously with a "rifle" type weapon ~3 times per second for 6 seconds with a +5% Energy Damage buff amounts to a +90% cumulative damage over time effect (roughly speaking) ... while for "pistol" type weapons that can fire as many as ~4 times per second (theoretically anyway) adds up to a +120% cumulative damage over time effect ... relative to the baseline. My point being that a +5% Energy Damage for 6 seconds buff effectively amounts to granting +1 "free shot" worth of damage delivered (roughly speaking) if attacking continuously for that entire span of time ... which is basically equivalent to putting +100% Energy Damage onto a single attack. The difference however between the two is Pressure vs Spike damage delivery, in which the "pressure" option is a lot more "forgiving" of player skill and opportunism (ie. if you make a mistake or miss an opportunity, you're not losing out on much), while the "spike" option is pretty much All Or Nothing, use it or lose it, which is a lot LESS forgiving of circumstances and opportunities in actual gameplay.

So ... Equivalent But DIFFERENT.
There is a big difference between providing a reasonable boost to spike damage, and an unreasonable boost to spike damage. +5% all damage for 6 seconds isn't bad, it's small and has a pressure effect. +100% for one shot every time you Critically hit is an absurd passive ability to oneshot someone without using any skill. You don't realize that because you don't play Ground PvP.


Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnturning View Post
So a "medic" using this ability would be unable to affect others while the Cloaking Module is active. Science Captains and Science Bridge Officers on the ground have no inherent ability to reduce Recharge times, since that's a Tactical Captains Only ability. This means that in PvP a Science Captain using the Cloaking Module is out of the fight until they toggle it off ... and once they've toggled it off, it's going to stay off for at least 20 seconds, nominally speaking.

If 20 seconds isn't long enough to kill a Science Captain or a Science Bridge Officer in PvP ... how much longer would you need to kill them? My point here being that if you can continuously fire upon a "medic" Science Officer (captain or bridge officer) for 15+ seconds and STILL not be able to kill them, then the root cause of the problem isn't in the possibility that "medics" can use a Cloaking Module to avoid letting you shoot at them.
Medic: "Well, I've managed to cause three tactical officers to burn their buffs trying to kill me, but now I am about to run out of heals. They will soon down me if I don't do something fast. I know, I'll cloak and they won't be able to touch me."

Science officers are tanks, they are designed to be hard to kill while still putting out respectable amounts of damage. It takes a lot of skill from a tactical officer to kill a skilled medic. I can tell you know, if my Medic could get infinite perfect cloak on ground, I would never die...unless I did something really stupid. That is true for anyone that is good at ground PvP. One of the downsides of running the Tactical Operative kit is the fact that you are easy to kill when not cloaked.


Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnturning View Post
By my accounting, that looks like a +7.5% Critical Chance on the armor, with a 10% chance to increase that to +12.5% (total) for 6 seconds. I don't know where you're getting the idea that this adds +15% Critical Chance on the armor like you claim. The only way you could get to that is by adding in the Set 3 bonus ...
All armor buff procs stack three times, that's +15% critical chance. Add in your "set bonus" and you get +25% Critical chance. For a tactical officer, that will mean they can get about a 90% chance to Critically hit with buffs, and that's before factoring in combat armor bonuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnturning View Post
... which by the way is a carbon copy of the Set 3 bonus on Omega Force, as I'm sure you're already aware. If you're going for the Set 3 bonus then you're using the weapon too, which has a 40% chance for a "chance for +2.5 critical chance when attacking" which I copied verbatim off the Plasma Piercing Rifle Mk IX (common) writeup in-game. So what you're really looking at is a +Critical Chance of +10% nominally with a rare potential to spike up to a +17.5% for brief intervals (if the armor and the weapon both proc together). Even at an attack rate of ~3 shots per second on continuous fire, that still really means scoring a Critical every few seconds (like 2-4) of continuous fire (ie. every 5-12 attack volleys or so) while using a weapon that doesn't have an Exploit Attack.
A 90% critical chance is not a "brief interval", you aren't taking anything outside of proposed set into account. Tactical officers already Critically hit 0.5 - 1 seconds in ground combat. It's nowhere near as rare as you make it out to be, nowhere close. With a 90% critical chance, split beam rifles would have a 1% chance of NOT critically hitting on a fire cycle, full auto rifles would have a 0.1% chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnturning View Post
The full Romulan Anti-Borg Ground Set as I've proposed it doesn't have an Exploit attack (unless if you count meleeing with the Rifle Butt attack) ... just like the Klingon Honor Guard Set doesn't have an Exploit attack. That's because rather than relying on Expose/Exploit to deal heavy damage, the set as I've proposed it instead relies on Critical Hits, which then proc the Ambush mechanic instead, thus creating a need for a 1-2 combo of attacks that yields a "pressure spike" of two heavy hits in a row (one Critical, one Damage buffed). And, as if that wasn't enough ... the weapon itself isn't a "spike" damage weapon but more of a "pressure" type weapon with its continuous fire mode. Heck, the Ambush Cloak is all but completely wasted on the Plasma Grenade attack because the only damage being enhanced on the grenade is the plasma damage over time since the explosion damage is Kinetic, not Energy.
Such an attack would never only be one or two heavy hits in a row. It would always result in a large number of chain high damage attacks. You are also missing the fact that there is nothing stopping the player from simply slotting an expose attack weapon in their other weapon slot.
Ensign
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14
# 17
10-18-2013, 04:18 PM
First thing first, the piercing plasma rifle and the other special LoR plasma weapons have up to Mk XI purples in the dillithium store. Running around with a white IX just shows how little you've looked into the various aspects of this. Secondly the Piercing rifle really shouldn't be mated to a spike damage grenade launcher or other type of spike damage, because the entire point of the weapon is pressure damage. [ED: I break this myself though below]

Now since the devs just aren't going to do a special Romulan anti borg set lets have fun anyway.

For the weapon I'm thinking Omega and HG both have area damage secondaries while only Fed's have a single target focus weapon. So maybe a Piercing rifle type weapon with a charge-able High density beam mode (maybe in disruptor damage). Makes them a little distinct from the other faction, while maintain the unique weapons LoR brought in.

For the armor instead of upon crit how-about a bonus when flanking? After all never turn your back on a Romulan. Use recoil compensating and then add a bonus to stealth-sight and all energy damage.

And start with a Repulsion shield, but instead of repelling opponents it is a spike of radiation damage (with immunity to radiation for yourself.) Add at least 20% reduction in plasma damage and I think it wouldn't be a bad bet.

The two piece bonus could be a smoke grenade or something unusual (maybe a smoke grenade turret), while the first 3 piece set should give a bonus to healing (like 10%) and to all allies on low health a bonus to weapon secondary recharge. (Like the [Rch] modifier that isn't used all that often.

As for style, a buckler shield on one arm would add to it's appearance of armor without massively bulking the suit out at higher marks. Bonus is the cowering expression in the face of an explosion would put your shield up in the way of damage.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 293
# 18
10-18-2013, 04:21 PM
I could not post to agree quick enough.

I would kick babies for a Romulan ground set.



Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,076
# 19
10-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsorchus View Post
First thing first, the piercing plasma rifle and the other special LoR plasma weapons have up to Mk XI purples in the dillithium store. Running around with a white IX just shows how little you've looked into the various aspects of this. Secondly the Piercing rifle really shouldn't be mated to a spike damage grenade launcher or other type of spike damage, because the entire point of the weapon is pressure damage. [ED: I break this myself though below]

Now since the devs just aren't going to do a special Romulan anti borg set lets have fun anyway.

For the weapon I'm thinking Omega and HG both have area damage secondaries while only Fed's have a single target focus weapon. So maybe a Piercing rifle type weapon with a charge-able High density beam mode (maybe in disruptor damage). Makes them a little distinct from the other faction, while maintain the unique weapons LoR brought in.

For the armor instead of upon crit how-about a bonus when flanking? After all never turn your back on a Romulan. Use recoil compensating and then add a bonus to stealth-sight and all energy damage.

And start with a Repulsion shield, but instead of repelling opponents it is a spike of radiation damage (with immunity to radiation for yourself.) Add at least 20% reduction in plasma damage and I think it wouldn't be a bad bet.

The two piece bonus could be a smoke grenade or something unusual (maybe a smoke grenade turret), while the first 3 piece set should give a bonus to healing (like 10%) and to all allies on low health a bonus to weapon secondary recharge. (Like the [Rch] modifier that isn't used all that often.

As for style, a buckler shield on one arm would add to it's appearance of armor without massively bulking the suit out at higher marks. Bonus is the cowering expression in the face of an explosion would put your shield up in the way of damage.
hmmm how about instead of normal radiation, theleron radiation or the ability to charge up a theleron blast similar to the Nukara cryo set with the electrical discharge?
could use the repeating pistol type of primary fire with 2ndry as the wide beam, did I say I really liked the wide beam rifle
Commander
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 267
# 20
10-19-2013, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
You truly have no idea how easy it is for a tactical officer to get a critical hit. There are tactical officers with a 60% chance to critically hit.
If there are Tactical Captains who can get to 60% Critical Chance indefinitely then that would be a balance problem with Tactical Captains then, wouldn't it?

But just for the sake of humor value ... please explain, in detail (meaning, Show Your Work), how a Tactical Captain achieves a 60% Critical Chance before adding in Weapon, Armor or Personal Shield.
/em popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
This buff would be basically giving all classes an Ambush III with no cooldown, also conveniently limited to Romulans.
Uh ... you do know that every Captain in the game has access to the Romulan Reputation system, right? Meaning that every faction in the game would have access to these items equally ... meaning you wouldn't need to be a Romulan (or Reman) race Captain in order to access them. In what way would that be "conveniently limited to Romulans" ...?

And just for the sake of argument, I have no problem with putting a limiter on how often the Ambush Cloak can proc, should it be necessary for game balance because Tactical Captains are as overpowered as you assert when it comes to Critical Chance. Something on the order of "Effect can only happen once every {X} seconds" on the Ambush Cloak, with values of 10 sec for Mk X, 8 sec for Mk XI and 6 sec for Mk XII perhaps ... should it PROVE necessary for game balance. Mind you, I'm just tossing out numbers here for illustration purposes, rather than as a demand or insistence that I'm "right" and everyone else is "wrong" somehow. I could just as easily go with 10/9/8 instead of 10/8/6 or some other variation for the progression of the "proc limiter" on the Ambush Cloak should it PROVE necessary for game balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
To be honest, such a buff would ruin Ground PvP.
You say that as if Ground PvP isn't "ruined" already by Tactical Captains (much like they do to Space PvP too, but that's a whole other plate of Gagh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
You don't realize that because you don't play Ground PvP.
Ah. So you're going to play the "I'm pulling rank on you!" card. Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
All armor buff procs stack three times, that's +15% critical chance.
Excuse me. Did I *SAY* that my armor buff stacks 3 times? Let's look, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnturning View Post
Romulan Intrusion Armor
Mk X (Very Rare) requires Romulan Reputation Tier I
Mk XI (Very Rare) requires Romulan Reputation Tier III
Mk XII (Very Rare) requires Romulan Reputation Tier V
Bind on Pickup
Vice Admiral / Lieutenant General

+5% Critical Chance
+{X} Physical Damage Resistance Rating (scaled by Mk # and Rarity)
+{X} Kinetic Damage Resistance Rating (scaled by Mk # and Rarity)
+{X} All Energy Damage Resistance Rating (scaled by Mk # and Rarity)
+2.5% Critical Chance
+20% Critical Severity
When receiving All Damage, 10% chance of applying Target Analysis
  • +5% Critical Chance for 6 sec
Hmmm. There appears to be a DISTINCT LACK of anything saying "stacks 3 times" there. That means that your ASSUMPTION that the buff would "stack 3 times" is just you imagining things (again!). Coincidence? At this point you have enough of a track record in this thread to suggest the answer is "No."

Indeed, even if you are correct in that "all the other set armors let their special stack 3 times" when their long form tooltips don't contain mention of that (and I LOOKED), then that sounds like a "bug" that ought to be corrected so that they don't stack and instead work as advertised ... wouldn't you agree?

For what it's worth, even if other armor buffs "stack 3 times" like you say, I was operating under the assumption that the buff on my proposed armor would only "stack ONCE" ... instead of 3 times ... as advertised. Is that a problem for you?

Furthermore, in order for the special effect buff to stack 3 times, you'd need to take damage (at least) 3 times in 6 seconds. Being hit by damage often enough to make the proc "likely" to stack 3 times within that span of time ought to be enough to kill you before the proc can stack 3 times. I mean, the odds of the proc happening 3 times in succession is literally 1000 to 1. How many times can you get hit by damage within a 6 second time span and not be killed? What are the odds that getting hit LESS THAN that many times will proc a 10% chance 3 times within that time span so that you can live long enough to use it?

In other words, I don't look at a 10% chance when receiving All Damage and immediately conclude "this will be triple stacked EASILY, IN PERPETUITY" like you apparently do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
Tactical officers already Critically hit 0.5 - 1 seconds in ground combat.
So it's Tactical Captains who have ridiculously overpowered skills and need to be nerfed then so that they stop "ruining" Ground PvP for everyone else then ... yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
You are also missing the fact that there is nothing stopping the player from simply slotting an expose attack weapon in their other weapon slot.
By this point, the only thing I'm missing is a good reason to continue taking your complaints seriously.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:38 PM.