Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 921
# 371
10-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psiameese View Post


These exists now. So why not STO action figures?
Don't forget these: http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant.../dp/B000F7E4DC
Member since November 2009... I think.
(UFP) Ragnarök Fleet - Logistics Division Vice Admiral T'Phira; Captain Selena; Captain Altecha; Captain K'Kera; Lieutenant Aydihe Tefx; Subcommander S'ena
(KDF) Lieutenant General Vokno (aka Lady Vokno); Lieutenant General Raylene
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 316
# 372
10-19-2013, 10:43 AM
I've always tried my best to have a constructive outlook on anything new that is added to a game. But this is becoming very difficult with Cryptic. You ask for in-depth content and exploration and we get:

  1. New ships with more firepower
  2. New reputation for repetitive grind
  3. New fleet holdings for repetitive grind
  4. Dinosaurs with lasers on their head in power armor
  5. Halo inspired Mechs


It's very sickening when you think how much potential Star Trek Online has and how it feels this potential is being thrown to one side. I love Star Trek, and it feels that STO is getting further away from what Star Trek means.

You say these are genetically engineered. The Voth were insulted by the fact that Janeway was trying to explain that they were related to Dinosaurs on Earth. So why would the Voth engineer a species to be identical to those Dinosaurs. Also, why would they engineer those species with the exact same disadvantages that they originally had.

Surely, they would have given the T-Rex 4 legs instead of 2 legs and 2 short useless arms. It's amazing how much a little forward thinking can achieve, when you get off the LSD and apply yourself.

I don't mind reptilian type creatures that are maybe native from their home world. But to have something identical and on top of that in power armor with lasers on their head, that is another thing.

True, 'this is a game so let's have some fun'. But the problem Cryptic seem to have is that this is Star Trek. It gives the impression that people like Geko, know nothing about Star Trek.

Star Citizen has been mentioned in the past. I'll mention it again. Star Trek Online is becoming a glorified Facebook game. The exploration, diplomacy, the unknown and an ever changing universe where you are boldly exploring the final frontier, with true immersion (a lot of which we had been promised a long time ago by Cryptic), this is being offered in Star Citizen.

Now I know about engine limitations, but that does not stop creative thinking. I can only hope that the people at Cryptic put their thinking caps on and fully utilize what the Star Trek universe has to offer. I will save final judgement until Season 8 is released, but as of right now, I'm not impressed and a lot of my friends and fleet members are not either. One friend has already uninstalled STO over this.

I want Star Trek Online to be the best Star Trek / Space game out there. At the same time, the chances of this are very slim. Just because this is the only place that offers an online Star Trek fix, doesn't mean you can dish out this kind of "content".


"We're doing it wrong, but it's working...."

Last edited by nierion; 10-19-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 845
# 373
10-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Actually, what the Voth were resisting was the fact their species was native to the Alpha Quadrant and not the Delta Quadrant as Doctrine stated.

They've never indicated that living creatures are inadequate because they come from this planet or that planet.

However, they do have their own set of issues with superiority complexes, but that mostly revolves around native species status and reptilian origins.

Also, the Voth in general don't believe they are from the Alpha Quadrant, so they most likely believe their Dinosaurs are not Alpha Quadrant species as well.

Or alterternatively, they could have found Delta Quadrant Dinosaurs somewhere and adapted them instead.



Ironically, that Voyager episode has a massive plothole.
Dinosaurs are not reptiles!

They're distantly related, but they're a completely seperate species, one that has no analog in modern times.

The most obvious flaw is when they refer to themselves as cold blooded, but Dinosaurs (like mammals) have warm blood.

That is a known fact by the way, they found a rare fossil which showed Dinosaurs had the circulatory system of a mammal, not a reptile.
The heart of a cold blooded organism is different to that of a warm blooded one.

And since the Voth are humanoid Dinosaurs........
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 316
# 374
10-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
Actually, what the Voth were resisting was the fact their species was native to the Alpha Quadrant and not the Delta Quadrant as Doctrine stated.

They've never indicated that living creatures are inadequate because they come from this planet or that planet.
I completely agree with what you said. I should have maybe been a little more detailed, but either way they weren't too happy about being related to something from the Alpha quadrant which completely re-writes their history and their origins.

Reptiles are distant relatives, but my main issue is the fact that we got giant dinosaurs identical to the ones from Earth roaming around with power armor and lasers on their head.

Plot holes are always fun lol. It just seems though, Cryptic like to create a lot of holes in their game. It'd be nice if they spent a little more time on R&D than rushing out something that could be so much better.


"We're doing it wrong, but it's working...."
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,173
# 375
10-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
General reply:

Obviously putting dinosaurs in Trek has been a bit controversial. As a team, we also thought it was a bit controversial, but decided it made for really good gameplay and art opportunities and ultimately was too awesome and fun not to do. We also think it makes a lot of sense for a scientifically driven, technologically advanced formerly-dinosaur species - after all, our modern military uses trained Dogs and Klingons have used Targs in combat for years by this point. While some posters lament that actual dinosaurs were never seen on Trek (and therefore state that we shouldn't be using them), Trek has always been about exploring strange worlds with strange lifeforms that are subtly different from but similar to our own. The Voth military's choice to use engineered animals as tools can be a lens by which to examine our own human behaviors towards our less-evolved (or just differently-evolved?) mammalian brethren. Also, dinosaurs would have been awesome to see on any Star Trek show, but probably prohibitively expensive to do properly in terms of special effects.

I don't want to go too much in to story detail, both because that'd be spoilers and because I'm not a content designer, but the team here has put a lot of thought and effort into properly characterizing the Voth and making sure it makes sense that players are somewhat in conflict with them. While you do fight the Voth in the Dyson Sphere, they're not straightforward antagonists the same way the Elachi or other similar races were - instead, there's a drastic conflict of interest over what essentially is a natural resource, and that conflict fuels further confrontation between all factions involved.

This may be little comfort to those of you who object strenuously to the inclusion of our mighty fictional terrible lizards, but I hope you at least enjoy the inside view into the development and decision-making process that was behind the creation of the Voth. I'm a little biased, but I think they're *really* fun to play against, so I hope you'll give them a fair shake and try some combat against them when Season 8 arrives!

For as long as you put in vaporization animations on the Dinosaurs, I'll get over it possibly.

(Someone forgot to make one for the Mugato in Colony Invasion....)
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 34
# 376 wow
10-20-2013, 12:54 AM
All I have to say is that the Dev team has no clue what Start Trek should be!! This proves it to me that they think dino's TRex and ect is fun. Ok I can give them that sounds like fun. BUT!!! it is not Star Trek it looks like the Dev team missed the mark again and put a haloisk feel to the power armor. I honestly I dont care why the Dev team thinks of reasons why a Trex works but its BS. This is what I dont understand is why the Dev Team have not been CANED!!!! But we as the players dont do anything about this. How about for one week no one buys anything from the zen store and then lets see how long the Dev team keeps there jobs. Not long as this is a free to play game now they only care about the money they will make so lets as a whole take that away from them like they have taken Star Trek away from us. Just a thought and Dev team why use the duty officer missions for some new ideas. Oh that right that would be to easy and more like star trek.Not something you can make money off of but something for us the players.
Any ways Dev team Star Citizen is coming and when your bosses see how many people you lose to Star Citizen I hope they kiss you buts to the curb and find someone better then you!!!!
Thanks for taking STO and turning it into a Facebook game!!
Ensign
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
# 377
10-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Dinosaurs on a spaceship

Section 31
[Joseph Steel] [Jennifer Steel] [Dredd Steel] [Kenzi Steel] [Shira Steel] [Alexandria Rose] [K'emb'ah Steel] [Karnak Steel] [Kacy Steel] [Venom Steel] [Areli Steel]
Ensign
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
# 378
10-22-2013, 05:42 PM
I don't know if anyone has answered this question in the past but can anyone tell me exactly what level one of my characters must be in order to play the new featured episode on the 31st? Not sure how much I will need to grind this weekend to level up my lvl 22 and lvl 28.

Section 31
[Joseph Steel] [Jennifer Steel] [Dredd Steel] [Kenzi Steel] [Shira Steel] [Alexandria Rose] [K'emb'ah Steel] [Karnak Steel] [Kacy Steel] [Venom Steel] [Areli Steel]
Former PWE Community Team Lead
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,046
# 379
10-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3fk0n View Post
I don't know if anyone has answered this question in the past but can anyone tell me exactly what level one of my characters must be in order to play the new featured episode on the 31st? Not sure how much I will need to grind this weekend to level up my lvl 22 and lvl 28.
Should be level 10 during its initial premiere/ before it receives placement in the mission journal, at which point it will become a level 50 mission. We'll have a blog up about it with more details on how to accept the mission as we get closer.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Ensign
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
# 380
10-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Should be level 10 during its initial premiere/ before it receives placement in the mission journal, at which point it will become a level 50 mission. We'll have a blog up about it with more details on how to accept the mission as we get closer.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Thanks Branflakes

Section 31
[Joseph Steel] [Jennifer Steel] [Dredd Steel] [Kenzi Steel] [Shira Steel] [Alexandria Rose] [K'emb'ah Steel] [Karnak Steel] [Kacy Steel] [Venom Steel] [Areli Steel]
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:42 AM.