Career Officer
I've touched on this before, but I'd like to bring it up again. The core of this being a third independent faction, though I wouldn't want to take away from Legacy of Romulus. I would however like to both expand, and alter the outcome slightly.

From the launch of Trek, the three big players from the Alpha & Beta Quadrants have always been the Federation, Klingon Empire and Romulan Empire. The Next Generation introduced the Cardassians, and they became the fourth big player into Deep Space Nine. With JJ's Trek, and Cryptic's Trek, both the Romulan and Cardassian factions are now only a shadow of their former selves.

I'd propose that those two shadows come together to form a true third faction. I wouldn't take away too much from the LoR story, except the episodes that have you aligning with the Federation or Klingons. Considering who D'Tan is, his message, and what the Republic stands for, I just can't quite accept that he'd join with the Klingons.

Regardless, Romulan and Cardassian Refugees; each having their own homeworld (think of it as two mini factions when you're starting up, though said mini factions later form a much larger, strong faction). Cryptic want to keep this Red vs Blue theme going, and that's fine. This proposed idea of mine would merely have the Romulans and Cardassians together, whilst not in conflict with the Federation or Klingon (instead they'd focus on the Tal Shiar and True Way).

Playable species would be (obviously) the Romulans and Cardassians, with Reman a C-Store/Reputation unlock. Bajoran-Cardassian Hybrids would be another C-Store unlock (unique trait) with the Suliban, Yridian, Paradan and Karemma as your other character/bridge officer contenders. I suppose you could throw the Jem Hadar in there somewhere too to keep everyone happy.

Keep your current Romulan ship line, and do the same for the Cardassians (1x ship until Tier #4 (where you'd get 2x)) then three ships (1x per career) at Tier #5.

Why is this a good idea? Because it kills two birds with one stone; it gives us the next big faction without the need to create another faction from scratch. The Romulans (lets be honest) are only half a faction as they stand. Create another half a faction (Cardassians) put them together, and you've got a third faction. Create another Fleet System (left of Iota Pavonis?) that would act as an embassy (of sorts). If players didn't want to have this alliance, they'd only need to play one side of the story.

I know this is probably a long shot, but I'd love nothing more than for STO to be a three-faction game, and I've never really been a fan of the mini-faction theme (which is where the Cardassians are going to end up if not this proposal). Besides the fact, the Cardassians are even less likely to align with the Klingons than the Romulans are.
Career Officer
# 2
10-20-2013, 04:27 AM
Without thinking about it too much after reading you proposal, there are severl problems there.
One is of course that this new faction call it the "Alliance of Free Republics" for fun would be physically seperated into two. That would be terribly annoying for a lot of missions.
Also, unless the Cardassian part got its own tutorial and early missions, the side would not make sense. And at that point Cryptic would probably already run into some problems because I doubt they can make missions depending on your species so the Cardassians and Romulans would need to be different factions for this to work.

Also, the Karemma are from the wrong side of the wormhole and probably still under Gamma Dominion control.
Rihannsu
# 3
10-20-2013, 04:28 AM
Cardee? I like them only fried, on Jumja stick.
# 4
10-20-2013, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
That would be terribly annoying for a lot of missions.
Also, unless the Cardassian part got its own tutorial and early missions, the side would not make sense.
You'd load up the launcher, log in and create a character. If you select Romulan, you'd be a Romulan, start with a Romulan Tutorial, and play Romulan themed missions until level #20. In the 20th mission, your character / the story would merge to become one with the Cardassian mini Faction.

Likewise, if you started a Cardassian, you'd get a Cardassian Tutorial, and play Cardassian themed missions until level #20. Again, come the 20th mission, the story would bring you to the same point at which the 20th mission from the Romulan perspective is, in that you'd then be following the same path.

It would probably be the 20th mission at the earliest point, 30th mission at the latest.

Quote:
And at that point Cryptic would probably already run into some problems because I doubt they can make missions depending on your species so the Cardassians and Romulans would need to be different factions for this to work.
It depends how they did it. If they created both factions as mini factions to start with, which later evolved into a core faction, then it could be done.

Quote:
Also, the Karemma are from the wrong side of the wormhole and probably still under Gamma Dominion control.
The Paradan are also from the Gamma Quadrant. I'm just thinking of other species that would work. Besides, with Odo now running the show, I'd think the Karemma be allowed a little more freedom.
Captain
# 5
10-20-2013, 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
Likewise, if you started a Cardassian, you'd get a Cardassian Tutorial, and play Cardassian themed missions until level #20. Again, come the 20th mission, the story would bring you to the same point at which the 20th mission from the Romulan perspective is, in that you'd then be following the same path.
So its exactly like the current Romulan faction down to having a separated story line until the Vault were they would be treated as ROMULAN ...

In short its EXACTLY THE SAME and it even sells out the very core of playing as Cardassian because whats cross-faction? the Cardassian Front ...

Quote:
The Paradan are also from the Gamma Quadrant. I'm just thinking of other species that would work. Besides, with Odo now running the show, I'd think the Karemma be allowed a little more freedom.
Odo is not the leader of the Dominion and the Karemma would not be joining the Romulan Republic either.

You make no sense, so fat the only thing you did was trying to get Romulan and Reman BO's for free.
Former Star Trek Online Player
Career Officer
# 6
10-20-2013, 04:49 AM
Come to think of it too, they needn't change the original Republic missions that much either. Just add the Cardassians to the peace talks on Khitomer and choose to join them instead of the Red or Blue (their involvement can be linked to them having an Embassy on Romulus instead).

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
So its exactly like the current Romulan faction down to having a separated story line until the Vault were they would be treated as ROMULAN ...

In short its EXACTLY THE SAME and it even sells out the very core of playing as Cardassian because whats cross-faction? the Cardassian Front ...
Read the above replies first.

Quote:
Odo is not the leader of the Dominion and the Karemma would not be joining the Romulan Republic either.
Odo might not be leader of the Dominion, but I bet he has a fair amount of influence.

Quote:
You make no sense, so fat the only thing you did was trying to get Romulan and Reman BO's for free.
The Romulan and Reman are already free.
Commander
# 7
10-20-2013, 04:57 AM
First of all it was DS9 that made the Cardassian a Shadow with their involvement with and subsequent Betrayal of the Dominion and the Dominions... harsh reaction to that fact...

Then again, logistically it would be a complete Nightmare for the New Romulan Republic and the Cardassian Detapa Council to work together with a thing as big as the Federation between them and the Romulan Star Empire Remnant and the Klingons at the NRRs throat and the True Way kicking the Cardassians...

Even with Odo up with the rest of the Founders... he's but one person, sure he might have change some views but the general overview would remain largely the same meaning that everything under Dominion Control WILL stay under Dominion Control but probably given some more room for trade and a bit of self-governing but would still need to adhere to general Dominion Policies meaning they would not be able to just go "Sorry Founders, we have different Plans, see ya!"... at least not without the complimentary orbital bombardment by your friendly neighbourhood Jem'Hadar Attack Wing...

And last... what would be the justification for this besides Gameplay?
What is the Story behind it? Why would they choose to ally with one another with the Federation in between?
And do you think that the Klingons would take it lightly that the New Romulan Republic (and not just some lone Captains) allies themselves with the Cardassians?
Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
Career Officer
# 8
10-20-2013, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saekiith View Post
First of all it was DS9 that made the Cardassian a Shadow with their involvement with and subsequent Betrayal of the Dominion and the Dominions... harsh reaction to that fact.
We know very little about what happened with the Cardassians until the STO lore came around. We know they were beaten by the Dominion, but what else?

Quote:
Then again, logistically it would be a complete Nightmare for the New Romulan Republic and the Cardassian Detapa Council to work together with a thing as big as the Federation between them and the Romulan Star Empire Remnant and the Klingons at the NRRs throat and the True Way kicking the Cardassians.
I never once mentioned the Detapa Council. I'm talking more splinter groups of Cardassians. Maybe ones that want the use of a military, but don't support the actions of the True Way?

Quote:
Even with Odo up with the rest of the Founders... he's but one person, sure he might have change some views but the general overview would remain largely the same meaning that everything under Dominion Control WILL stay under Dominion Control but probably given some more room for trade and a bit of self-governing but would still need to adhere to general Dominion Policies meaning they would not be able to just go "Sorry Founders, we have different Plans, see ya!"... at least not without the complimentary orbital bombardment by your friendly neighbourhood Jem'Hadar Attack Wing...
Granted, though it was just an idea. Besides, if it's just a case of lore standing in the way, I'd direct you to all the things we've already got in-game that lore wouldn't agree with. We've already got a Jem Hadar Officer (per character), that's a lot of rebellious Jem Hadar. That, and the Dominion ships. Surely the Founders aren't happy with the Federation, Klingon and Republic using their ships and technology?

Quote:
And last... what would be the justification for this besides Gameplay? What is the Story behind it? Why would they choose to ally with one another with the Federation in between?
Mutual benefit? Each side would be gaining a strong ally out of their alliance. They'd both want a more peaceful representation of their respective factions, and we know that both factions can and have worked together in the past.

Quote:
And do you think that the Klingons would take it lightly that the New Romulan Republic (and not just some lone Captains) allies themselves with the Cardassians?
The Klingons have enough on their plate at the moment. I don't think they'd worry about a new alliance until said alliance became a threat (and a threat it wouldn't become).
Commander
# 9
10-20-2013, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
We know very little about what happened with the Cardassians until the STO lore came around. We know they were beaten by the Dominion, but what else?
The Union Governing body wasn't much more than a mere puppet in the later stages of the conflict... Cardassia Prime was ravaged by the Dominion in retaliation to their betrayal...
The Cardassian Union was effectly destroyed...

Quote:
I never once mentioned the Detapa Council. I'm talking more splinter groups of Cardassians. Maybe ones that want the use of a military, but don't support the actions of the True Way?
That would make even less sense... further splintering the Cardassians... how much do you think would we gain out of this?

Quote:
Granted, though it was just an idea. Besides, if it's just a case of lore standing in the way, I'd direct you to all the things we've already got in-game that lore wouldn't agree with. We've already got a Jem Hadar Officer (per character), that's a lot of rebellious Jem Hadar. That, and the Dominion ships. Surely the Founders aren't happy with the Federation, Klingon and Republic using their ships and technology?
There were already a lot of rebellious Jem'Hadar during the run of DS9 so at least that is not much of a stretch (and for the record the Story as presented still treats you as the only one acquiring him...)

Quote:
Mutual benefit? Each side would be gaining a strong ally out of their alliance. They'd both want a more peaceful representation of their respective factions, and we know that both factions can and have worked together in the past.
Okay, now you've just stumbled around a bit... first you want to further splinter the Cardassians and now you say both would gain a "strong" ally?
That doesn't really fit together...

Quote:
The Klingons have enough on their plate at the moment. I don't think they'd worry about a new alliance until said alliance became a threat (and a threat it wouldn't become).
Oh... I don't think so... for all we know the Klingons are currently in a complete Frenzy... first sacking the Gorn and Orions then hiring Nausicaans... declaring war against the Federation, being in a Cold War with the Romulans since the last Alliance (even before TOS) actively invading Romulan Space etc.
Now another Romulan State allying themselves with an entity even more despised than the Romulans themselves... Oh I am pretty sure the Klingons would retaliate for this behaviour... sacking the New Romulan Republic and going for the Remnants of the Romulan Star Empire...
Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
Career Officer
# 10
10-20-2013, 06:00 AM
It is clear to me that you don't support this idea, so you'll have to accept I'm not going to go into a great deal of effort to reply to all of your ... concerns.

Quote:
The Union Governing body wasn't much more than a mere puppet in the later stages of the conflict.
The Cardassian Union became a puppet due to Dukat and Damar; it was only later that Damar stood up. As soon as they lost Dukat, that's when it started to go south for them.

Quote:
That would make even less sense... further splintering the Cardassians... how much do you think would we gain out of this?
We'd gain a faction out of it. Why is it so hard to believe there would be different groups of Cardassians?

Group #1 ~ The True Way
Group #2 ~ Happy being under Federation rule, with no Military of their own
Group #3 ~ Unhappy being under Federation rule, desires a Military of their own for the sake of self preservation and security

Something else we need to consider too, the current Cardassian state has no military, no ships (or a serious lack of them anyway) as they're essentially under Federation rule. If we get another mini faction focusing on these Cardassians, are we going to be flying around in shuttles and cargo transports? A military force is forbidden.

Quote:
There were already a lot of rebellious Jem'Hadar during the run of DS9 so at least that is not much of a stretch (and for the record the Story as presented still treats you as the only one acquiring him...)
So there can be rebellious Jem Hadar but not rebellious Karemma / Paradan?

Quote:
Okay, now you've just stumbled around a bit... first you want to further splinter the Cardassians and now you say both would gain a "strong" ally?
That doesn't really fit together...
It does actually. Said splinter group wouldn't define the Detapa Council strong, thus they'd join with the Republic to reclaim their strength.