Career Officer
# 21
10-20-2013, 07:55 AM
Personally... I think there is a legitimate story that could unify the Romulan Empire (Romulan Republic), and make them a viable full third faction.

We all know that Romulan's were masters of deceit, and subterfuge (not to be confused with the trait). In the early days, D"Tan realizing that the fledgling Republic could not stand up to the combined forces of Empress Sela's Tal Shiar, and their new allies the Elachi (with the Iconians lurking in the back ground)... D'Tan knows that the only way to advance the Republic is through making alliegences with historic enemies of the Romulans (The Federation and The Klingon Empire).

In a stroke of Diplomatic genius, D'Tan is able to broker allegiances with both sides of warring factions. Gains their trust, their assistance in rebuilding a fleet of Romulan Republic ships. All the while, offering little to the new "allies".

Once the Republic controlled fleet has grown to sufficient size, D'Tan start a series of meetings with high ranking Romulan commanders (now deeply entrenched operatives in the Federation and Klingon Empire)... and slowly start pulling the two sides together...

When the time is right... these operatives (having gained much from their allies), return to New Romulas, and are given the oppurtunity to abandon their "allies" in favor of returning to the Romulan Republic, and the glory of days gone by.

Having been deceived, both the Federation and Klingon Empire declare war on the Romulan Republic (all the while not wanting their technology to fall into the other's hand... thereby tipping the balance of power in the quadrant reignite their age old conflict with eachother).

Honestly... when the foundry was able to do Romulan story arcs I really considered trying to build a series of missions around this idea.... but alas, dont have the creative talent some do with writing missions.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Career Officer
# 22
10-20-2013, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
The Republic might got their ships from the Romulan Navy shipyards but lets not compare both as if they are the same, Cardassia was on the losing side of the Dominion War and demobilized and disarmed after.
Whilst all true, their technology still exists.

Quote:
That begs the question of why with their backs against the war they werent used in the Battle of Cardassia, considering the state the Cardassian military its unlikely they would have Galors just lying around and be forgotten.
I'm pretty sure there were a whole bunch of Cardassian ships that survived that last assault.

Quote:
Because the Republic inherited or taken over existing Romulan Shipyards, the Cardassian Union on the other hand was by the Treaty of Bajor occupied by the Federation Alliance, its beyond unlikely would be building warships under such supervision.
Except a breakaway group of Cardassians wouldn't build ships under Federation supervision.

I fear, if you had your way we'd never see the Cardassians as playable.

Also, I've updated post #17: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=17

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post
Personally... I think there is a legitimate story that could unify the Romulan Empire (Romulan Republic), and make them a viable full third faction.

[snip]
Whilst I would cherish a full Romulan faction, I can't see it. If they could do it, then great, sign me up. I just can't picture it, not now.
Captain
# 23
10-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Technically, it wouldn't even need to be a full breakaway faction; just a group of 'rogue' officials, probably under a charismatic leader (a departmental Minister or something like that); they surrepticiously begin to rebuild and rearm the Cardassian Orders, then start by fighting to push the Terran Empire/Mirror Universe out of Cardassian space.

The Klingons take umbridge and declare war on the Cardassians for violating the Treaty of Bajor, ignoring the fact that it's a group of rogues and attacking 'loyal' Cardassians, forcing the Federation to come to the Union's aid per the terms of the Treaty, except the rearmed Orders don't see a difference between the Terran Imperial Starfleet and the Federation Starfleet...
----
Yeager-Type; add it as a Federation 'Raider' and watch KDF players go crazy...

Queued Events alone do not player participation bring...
Captain
# 24
10-20-2013, 08:54 AM
The problem is that can STO support a third or fourth faction? Sure it would make things more interesting, but the amount of content required to support this would be much higher than what Cryptic can deliver with their current team. Say we introduce a Romulan Star Empire faction, then Cryptic would have to design a STF that only they can do since it would either would deal with the Klingon Empire or Federation as enemies or it doesn't make sense for the Klingon Empire or Federation to do it.
Career Officer
# 25
10-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
The problem is that can STO support a third or fourth faction?
They're essentially already supporting a 3rd faction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Say we introduce a Romulan Star Empire faction, then Cryptic would have to design a STF that only they can do since it would either would deal with the Klingon Empire or Federation as enemies or it doesn't make sense for the Klingon Empire or Federation to do it.
Federation and Klingon players already share several STF's, and they're suppose to be at war with each other. I don't see why a 3rd faction would need new, unique ones to do.
Captain
# 26
10-20-2013, 09:14 AM
If nothing else, they could always make a 'War game' STF that pits supposed 'allies' against each other. (TOS: "The Ultimate Computer" had starships fighting each other in a wargame, TNG: "Peak Performance" featured a wargame between the Enterprise-D and an old Constellation-class)
----

Republic Veteran
# 27
10-20-2013, 09:34 AM
personally i'd find a cardassian /romulan alliance more acceptable then what we currently have. it's a fairly decent concept.

i'd love to see romulans as a 3rd faction and i'd love to see cardassians in the game. if this is the only way the 2 can happen I say, make it so!!

if they come down to basics. cardassians need ships and their own species. to think romulans only had 4 choices. I can imagine cardassians. liberated borg cardassians and alien as options.

a few ships beyond the galor. cryptic a have reasonable cash cow on their hands.

the hard part would be devoting time to a tutorial and a few missions of good story that make more sense than LOR.
i'm pretty sure they can break away from a 2 sided game and really expand the possibilities beyond a 2 sided red team vs blue team game.

or worst case scenario make cardassians and romulans join 'team red' and really make the population grow!
Republic Veteran
# 28
10-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Ugh, no. No to Romulans allying with Cardassians (it could work for True Way terrorists and Tal'Shiar fascists, maybe, but no self-respecting New Romulan would consider alliance with Cardassians, not even the Cardassians who are not terrorists, and the reasons are too extensive to have to list), and no to Cardassians as a playable faction (I suggest you read up on Memory Alpha about the Cardassian-as-reptile motif).

Fvillhu s'Tal'Diann (Phi'Tlaru Rihan) ~(‾.▿.‾)~ Praetor of the Tal'Diann (Romulan Military Intelligence)
Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
Rihannsu
# 29
10-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saekiith View Post
The Union Governing body wasn't much more than a mere puppet in the later stages of the conflict... Cardassia Prime was ravaged by the Dominion in retaliation to their betrayal...
The Cardassian Union was effectly destroyed...
Technically, the Dominion betrayed the Cardassians. The Dominion fired on a Cardassian city from orbit in an effort to force the Cardassian resistance fighters to surrender. The formerly-loyal-to-the-Dominion Cardassian fleet abruptly ceased fighting the alliance and decided to make the Dominion ships stop shooting at Cardassian civilians.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 30
10-20-2013, 01:04 PM
And actually, the Dominion betrayed the Cardassians long before the Battle of Cardassia Prime; the relations between the two allies were merely strained until the Dominion abandoned the Eleventh Order of the Cardassian military to be completely annihilated by the Klingons, this after Weyoun had 'promised' Damar that they would be reinforced. That's when organized Cardassian resistance to the Dominion began.

...I actually spent a bit of time on Memory Alpha last week researching the Dominion War, so this stuff is still kinda fresh in my mind.
----