Captain
# 11
10-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Yeah, AFAIK they were talking to Thot Trel about not having weapons INSIDE the archive found in Deferi space. I'm sure they had the knowledge to build weapons though.
Why?

They had no enemies, races without natural predators will not create defensive mechanics against predators that naturally do not exist.

The Preservers in their time were the only humanoid and sentient species in the Galaxy, why exactly would they develop weapons and against who?

This is a culture shock, to me a weapon is something designed to destroy or kill ... things can be turned into weapons, pretty much anyone with a modern medical lab can produce chemical weapons at the level of the Great War but the point is, knowledge does not automatic equal weaponize, just because I can turn a biological culture into a bioweapon does not mean I will automatic will do so, especially when such would have no use.

Trying to turn the Preservers into a militarized race makes no sense, it makes less sense that what they did with the Voth.
Former Star Trek Online Player
Rihannsu
# 12
10-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Why?

They had no enemies, races without natural predators will not create defensive mechanics against predators that naturally do not exist.

The Preservers in their time were the only humanoid and sentient species in the Galaxy, why exactly would they develop weapons and against who?

This is a culture shock, to me a weapon is something designed to destroy or kill ... things can be turned into weapons, pretty much anyone with a modern medical lab can produce chemical weapons at the level of the Great War but the point is, knowledge does not automatic equal weaponize, just because I can turn a biological culture into a bioweapon does not mean I will automatic will do so, especially when such would have no use.

Trying to turn the Preservers into a militarized race makes no sense, it makes less sense that what they did with the Voth.
If the Preservers were really THAT peaceful they wouldn't have a concept of what weapons are. But clearly they do. Obviously they don't like to use them, but they doesn't prevent them from having them. It also doesn't make them a militarized race. You'd have to be kinda stupid to not have at least a token defense against invasions. Let's face it... someone or something wiped out the Preservers. they didn't just die of boredom...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 13
10-22-2013, 12:35 AM
Any bets on what the ship tied to the FE will be?
SUBSCRIBE to Priority One:
PRIORITYONEPODCAST.COM
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER:
STOPriorityONE ZMacGirthy
Career Officer
# 14
10-22-2013, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmacg View Post
I believe it was stated to be a carrier of some kind awhile back.
Commander
# 15
10-22-2013, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmacg View Post
Current leading bet is that it is a preserver ship tied to the Breen archive from the Breen FE.

However, if we want to assume it is not, what else could it be?

We've had these FEs so far:

Breen FE (Encountered Breen, Deferi, Preservers)
Devidian FE (Encountered Devidians)
Romulan FE (Encountered Iconians)
Dominion FE (Encountered the Dominion, Space Alien Swarmers, Tholian and Augments via prisoners)
Possibly the Friday the 13th mission (which I have never played so can't comment on)

The devidians don't use spaceships, we probably wouldn't find an ancient dominion carrier in the alpha or delta quadrant, Tholian starships have already been done, augments have no real story buildup. The Iconians or Preservers are really the only ones that make sense.

Of course, it has been a while since I ran the FEs, it could be something else entirely.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
10-22-2013, 02:17 AM
I tend to agree, a bit, with the idea of the Preservers/Ancient Humanoids having weapons as slightly odd, however they were only responsible for the creation of humanoid species. This doesn't rule out the possibility that our galaxy wasn't already filled with potentially "aggressive" non-humanoid races, or that the place where the Preservers/Ancient Humanoids came from wasn't also populated by species as powerful as they were.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook
Career Officer
# 17
10-22-2013, 03:49 AM
Still disappointed at that Cryptic named the Viriosaurus Rex, when there is an actual dinosaur species that is named Viriosaurus, which is far from being a like what we got in game.

Though thought the Dankanasaur and Furiadon names were rather cute, given it meant "Leaping Lizard" and "Fury Tooth". Even if they butchered the scientific naming process by mixing language names with the traditional greek names that scientists use to name dinosaurs.

The Carrier: Linked to a Featured Event huh, either its the Breen Capital Ship or the Iconian ship.

New Reputation: Doing 1 thing per day was pretty much what we did with the old Reputation system. But it irks me the one thing that was requested was never implemented was that some kind of help for those who have multiple characters.

As it is now, we either have to grind on all of our characters or wait 45 days until our main character hits Tier 5 in order to unlock the XP boost. However, each boost costs 100 marks, which is outrageous when you have many characters on the account.

So in the end it's not helping but punishing players for having lots of characters.
Lieutenant
# 18
10-22-2013, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
You'd have to be kinda stupid to not have at least a token defense against invasions.
Like for example a planetary defense shield? defending one self does not necessarily mean one has to resort to deadly weapons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowrulesupreme View Post
We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent and passionate belief that enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
Empire Veteran
# 19
10-22-2013, 04:37 AM
Being biologically and or technologicaly advanced does not neccessarily equate to being peaceful or unknowing of the concept of self defense. It is a fallacy to think hi-tech means passive or enlightened means peaceful.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Commander
# 20
10-22-2013, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Why?

First of all,
not all Ancient Humanoids might have shared the views of the majority... in-species conflict, past conflicts before some kind of Unification, if they really were unified, can't remember if that was ever stated... we simply could have met just one Preserver Faction... so yeah, them having weapons or rather possessing the knowledge of weapons isn't much of a stretch.

Then... while there were most likely no Humanoid Predators there would have been A LOT of non-humanoid predators that the Preservers needed to dispose of in the event of an attack.

But judging by the Current Storyline Cryptic (wrongly) mixed up the TOS Preservers and the TNG Ancient Humanoids...
And at least the first were capable of Intergalactic Travel as they were passing through our galaxy saving species near extinction (including Native American Tribes) completely clashing with the Later Story...

More or less a complete EF up on Cryptics part as even Moore didn't do it on screen...

Edit: Only defensive measures do not prevail... you cannot succeed when you cannot dispose of an enemy that lingers on your doorstep...
Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith