Career Officer
As it stands, it would seem that the Cardassians are one of the most prominent candidates for the next faction. Subsequent candidates seem to focus around a Liberated Collective Faction, the Dominion, or a Mercenary group of sorts. I'd like to focus primarily on the Cardassians here though, thus if anyone would like to discuss the others, I'd politely ask that you create a thread yourself, and do so there.

Ideally, I'd have liked it if the Cardassians (one way or another) joined with the Romulan Republic to create a fully independent third faction. However it's unlikely that would happen, and it doesn't seem to be that popular with fellow gamers either.

My concern though, is how else to implement them. Via the treaty of Bajor, the Cardassians aren't allowed to field a Military force (it is the job of the Federation to protect them should any harm come their way). It's unlikely that Cryptic would enable us to play as a True Way operative due to the True Way representing evil. If they allow this, then they should have allowed the Tal Shiar. I'm expecting neither. The most likely outcome is another mini faction, though I'm seriously struggling to see how that would work.

1) If a mini faction, they'd have use of a military (Treaty of Bajor doesn't allow for that)

2) If a mini faction, they'd have the option of joining the Federation or Klingons. Cardassians and Klingons are like the American and Russian of past (and possibly present); neither side can really stand the other. Cardassians wouldn't choose to join the Klingons, and the Klingons wouldn't have them. It's a stretch to believe the Klingons would ally with the Romulans the way they have, it's something else to even contemplate an alliance with the Cardassians.

3) Refering back to point #1, the only way to avoid this would be to have another group of Cardassians that firstly are not with the True Way, but likewise don't follow rule of the Detapa Council.

Yet, this would not only further be splitting up the Cardassian people, but if a group of Cardassians broke away from Detapa rule and started using Cardassian Warships, Starfleet would be required to step in and take those ships away from them. Likewise said spliter group wouldn't join with the Federation cause they'd (essentially) be what the Marquis were, and would inevitably be hunted down until controlled. Add to that, if a splinter group suddenly started to field a Cardassian Military, the Klingons would come in guns blazing.

Thus, I present to all of you a dilemma with a question; how do you/cryptic/cbs (potentially) launch a Cardassian faction? Before anyone answers that, I know nothing has been confirmed about a 4th faction yet, this is only (warranted) speculation on my part.

Last edited by flash525; 10-22-2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Title
Captain
# 2
10-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
2) If a mini faction, they'd have the option of joining the Federation or Klingons. Cardassians and Klingons are like the American and Russian of past (and possibly present); neither side can really stand the other. Cardassians wouldn't choose to join the Klingons, and the Klingons wouldn't have them. It's a stretch to believe the Klingons would ally with the Romulans the way they have, it's something else to even contemplate an alliance with the Cardassians.
If you can accept that Romulans and Klingons are willing to ally - or that even Klingons and Federation are willing to ally - then it is not much of a stretch to say that Klingons and Cardassians will ally; especially when it gives them a toe-hold into that sector. An alliance doesn't necessarily mean "done with good intentions."

Cardassia is under siege from the TWA. They need protection; and while they're not allowed to field a military I'm sure they are allowed to field ships for protection. I know I've fought a few of them. So it's not a stretch to see Cardassian ships being used in the game for a Cardassian Faction, and much of the Treaty would be waved when a formal alliance is made between the Feds and Cards and KDF and Cards.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
# 3
10-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
If you can accept that Romulans and Klingons are willing to ally - or that even Klingons and Federation are willing to ally - then it is not much of a stretch to say that Klingons and Cardassians will ally; especially when it gives them a toe-hold into that sector. An alliance doesn't necessarily mean "done with good intentions."
I never said I accepted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Cardassia is under siege from the TWA. They need protection; and while they're not allowed to field a military I'm sure they are allowed to field ships for protection. I know I've fought a few of them. So it's not a stretch to see Cardassian ships being used in the game for a Cardassian Faction, and much of the Treaty would be waved when a formal alliance is made between the Feds and Cards and KDF and Cards.
Are you sure those weren't True Way ships?
Captain
# 4
10-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
Are you sure those weren't True Way ships?
Some of them probably were TWA ships, but I know that I've encountered Cardassian ship around the game - not always hostilely. IIRC one is protecting Cardassia Prime when we get there and then it attacks us because it's really a TWA ships trying to stop us. That indicates to me that Cardassia does still have warships. If they didn't we would fall for the ruse of a TWA ship disguised as a Cardassian protection vessel.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
# 5
10-22-2013, 08:16 AM
The way I would see it happening:

The Federation is supposed to provide security in Cardassian space, as per Treaty of Bajor. But with the fed/kdf war and all the other things going on, the True Way has been causing too much trouble for the Federation to handle as before. Cardassians lobby for more authority and support for their limited security forces. Still unwilling to have a fully militarized Cardassia, the Federation and Klingons decide to work with specific Cardassian officers, sort of 'deputizing' them to deal with threats in a broader fashion under the banner of Starfleet or the KDF.

So this basically allows players to ally with a faction, which acts as their 'sponsor' and overseer as they fight the True Way and secure Cardassian space. While the Romulan allies had more to do with building bridges with someone who could materially support your cause, this alliance would have a primary goal of authorizing you to take action you wouldn't be able to do before.

But why would you ally with Klingons, who seemed to think Cardassians got what was coming to them at the end of the Dominion War? The Federation obviously cares about Cardassian reconstruction, but perhaps the Klingons are more willing to authorize aggressive action against the True Way, and so some Cardassians might gravitate toward that approach.
Captain
# 6
10-22-2013, 08:35 AM
The Cardassians in STO aren't allowed to field a military, yet they field the "Civilian Defense Force" which is mentioned and seen in various scenes in the game. And this CDF is, basically, the military. It does not differ in any way from regular Cardassian military. You can explain it but in the end its the usual laziness that went into this game with things we originally saw on screen (their "cool" nonsense gets way more attention - possibly to be prepared for a license pull? *tinfoilhat* ).

That being said, a Cardassian subfaction would probably be that. You start as a CDF member (just like you do on Romulan side and their equivalent) and later join Starfleet or the KDF with your "civilian" ships.

EDIT: Of course we know that Cryptic doesn't need to keep any kind of consistency even within their own established realm if they can use it to sell new ships/packs, so why should the "plot" be a hinderance for the Cardassian pseudo-faction?
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Commander
# 7
10-22-2013, 08:38 AM
A trader faction has often been asked for, could the Cardassians fill that role?

They're not allowed a military so they go around trading/making ec etc but in Cardassian ships.

I guess it could be another take on the Cardassian society but I wouldn't be surprised if most people want that kind of faction to be mainly Ferengi...
Well I can't forget a face but I won't remember y'all.
Bleed Green and Gold
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
10-22-2013, 08:53 AM
They could always re-negotiate the treaty. These things don't last forever.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Captain
# 9
10-22-2013, 09:01 AM
I say no, if Cryptic couldn't even make the Rommies a full third faction then this has no chance. LOR was a good addition but i beleive a grave error was made in it's design. the choice should not have been fed or kdf it should have been Republic or Star Empire.
Captain
# 10
10-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
They could always re-negotiate the treaty. These things don't last forever.
They generally do when a treaty is negotiated at gunpoint.