Career Officer
# 21
10-20-2013, 01:14 PM
According to the Dev blog the Voth ships are fairly defensive in nature. Anti-proton beams that reduce your damage dealt and reflective shielding that returns the damage you deal to that facing.

So I have to ask does the debuff from the anti-proton beams reduce the damage you deal to yourself when you hit a voth ship's reflective shielding? Seems like the defensive nature of the Voth lessens the chance that you'll one shot yourself.
Rihannsu
# 22
10-21-2013, 08:45 PM
do yall have a time frame when the obelisk carrier is going to be available
Captain
# 23
10-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Would love to provide feedback on these, but thanks to the spire not loading...
Previously Alendiak
Daizen - Lvl 50 Engineer - Fleet Avenger
Selia - Lvl 50 Tactical - Fleet Avenger
Toval - Lvl 50 Tactical - Fleet Mogai
Career Officer
Also x-posted in Art of Star Trek subforum, where images are visible within the post itself: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13077751

I am really excited to see the Voth being introduced into the STO universe. Season 8 Dev Blog #5 references a "design language," or a set of characteristics that would be expected to show up on a Voth ship. The ships being introduced in Season 8 are really impressive, and the Bastion-Class Cruiser in particular is one of the most attractive ships I have seen in game. However, there are two major elements of the Bastion-Class Cruiser that seem, at least to me, to be inconsistent with what would be expected of the large Voth vessels, namely the Citadel-class Dreadnaught and the Bulwark-class Battleship.

First is the design of the bridge. The original Voth City Ship, now the Voth Citadel-class Dreadnaught, has a pronounced command tower. The command tower structures generally adhere to a convention of using shapes to convey a sense of power, relying on powerful structures that are pyramidal and ziggurat-like in presentation. This helps to channel the Voth essence of authority, with the tower looking over the entirety of the vessel, highlighting the hierarchical nature of the Voth. This form of command tower design language is also represented in the Bulwark-class Battleship. However, this powerful command tower form is missing from the cruiser, making it feel more demure and unimposing by comparison. On first glance, it is hard to discern the location of the bridge on the cruiser, with it either being represented by the two arches that cross over the small trench at the rear of the ship, or possibly by the smaller raised portion embedded at the far end of the trench. In either case, this really downplays the power of the bridge, and seems to defy the convention both set by the ships as shown in Voyager, as well as the design of the other ships.

http://i.imgur.com/G2GQgnf.jpg

Second is the design of the nose, or bow, of the ship. The design convention here seems to use the shape of a "beak" so that they are more reminiscent of the dinosaur-like appearance of the Voth themselves. This being said, the cruiser seems to lack this key element from the design language shared by Voth ships. As opposed to having a "beak" like the other Voth ships, it has more of a pronged design. This design seems more at home on a Jem'Hadar vessel. I have a feeling that if the cruiser were a playable ship, and a player were to put the fairly popular Jem'Hadar space set on it, that by the time it were color-shifted purple, the cruiser would look more like a Dominion ship than a Voth one.

http://i.imgur.com/gAkVeJc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9JLV1ra.jpg

I really respect the work of the design team, and think it has produced some really great ships. I am personally attached to the Voth, and by extension their ships, as they were one of my favorite races in Voyager, and as such, I care a lot about how they are represented in STO. Additionally, I really like the Bastion-class cruiser and think that it is just two elements short of being an amazing Voth ship instead of just a great ship. I want to thank the design team for all their hard work, and the time they put into listening to players about what we would like to see in the game.

Last edited by arcturus13531; 10-24-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
First of all, excellent presentation, arcturus13531! *hugs*

I believe the ship design team has done a wonderful job creating these unique and epic ship designs for the Voth, but I do have to agree with arcturus13531 that the 2 areas of the cruiser seemed a bit inconsistent with the rest of the Voth ship designs.

THE SHIP'S "BEAK"
- Representative of the organic beak structuring of the Voth's ancestry, the Parasaurolophus

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...-Hadrosaur.jpg

THE BRIDGE
- Representative of the hierarchical arrangement of the Voth
- Position of power and authority

Voth City Ship from Voyager "Distant Origins"
http://www.neutralzone.de/database/A...CityShip05.gif

(Star Wars does the same thing with a highly pronounced bridge on Star Destroyers)

Thank you for illustrating this out, arcturus13531!
Live Long and Prosper!
Or Die Trying!
==== Try my new Foundry Mission: "Operation Demon Storm" ====
Captain
# 26
10-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Frigate:-
  • Rather useless and pretty much cannon fodder, but being a frigate that's to be expected.
  • The photonic decoy power puts them just above the other frigates in the game.

Cruiser:-
  • Charged particle Burst 2 does very little, but then I do have 8 points in power insulators. Maybe CPB3?
  • Beam overload likewise hardly causes a scratch.

Battleship:-
  • Subnucelonic beam was a good choice as a power.
  • Most damage seems to come from the grav well.
  • Still dies pretty quickly. Give it or the cruiser tactical team?

Dreadnought:-
  • Pretty tough to get past it's shields, but once there's a hole made it dies very quickly. The normal version can be one manned. Maybe tactical team?
  • Seems to teleport/jump so that I end up behind it.

Misc:-

Their beam weapons weren't doing any bleedthrough damage in the contested zone, which seem to be partly caused by the Voth tower buff. Was using resilient shields if that helps, as were others who had the same issue. Unless this is deliberate that is.

Quote:
[4:46] [Combat (Self)] Voth Bastion Cruiser gives 0 (881) Antiproton Damage to you with Voth Dual Phased Antiproton Banks.

[4:46] [Combat (Self)] Voth Bastion Cruiser's Voth Antiproton Array gives 175 (478) to your Shields.

[4:46] [Combat (Self)] Voth Bastion Cruiser gives 1 (738) Antiproton Damage to you with Voth Antiproton Array.

[4:46] [Combat (Self)] Voth Bastion Cruiser's Voth Dual Phased Antiproton Banks gives 205 (560) to your Shields.

[4:46] [Combat (Self)] Voth Bastion Cruiser gives 0 (864) Antiproton Damage to you with Voth Dual Phased Antiproton Banks.

[4:46] [Combat (Self)] Voth Bastion Cruiser's Voth Dual Phased Antiproton Banks gives 234 (639) to your Shields.

[4:46] [Combat (Self)] Voth Bastion Cruiser gives 0 (985) Antiproton Damage to you with Voth Dual Phased Antiproton Banks.
Also I swear I saw my ship getting healed by 1hp every so often.

All Voth ships seem to have a real accuracy issue. Even when my ship was stationary they were missing (bonus defense was 10%). Again this is in the contested zone, as I didn't want to mess up someones "Storming the spire".
Previously Alendiak

Last edited by orondis; 10-27-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Career Officer
# 27
10-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus13531 View Post
Second is the design of the nose, or bow, of the ship. The design convention here seems to use the shape of a "beak" so that they are more reminiscent of the dinosaur-like appearance of the Voth themselves. This being said, the cruiser seems to lack this key element from the design language shared by Voth ships. As opposed to having a "beak" like the other Voth ships, it has more of a pronged design. This design seems more at home on a Jem'Hadar vessel. I have a feeling that if the cruiser were a playable ship, and a player were to put the fairly popular Jem'Hadar space set on it, that by the time it were color-shifted purple, the cruiser would look more like a Dominion ship than a Voth one.

http://i.imgur.com/gAkVeJc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9JLV1ra.jpg
Finally someone else sees the Jem'Hadar design there aside from just me!

I posted this when the design was first shown:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lan451 View Post
Wow, I really like how these turned out.

Although...maybe I'm just being too picky, but this ship here looks way too similar to a JHDC to me. I'm not sure, it's just the way that the front comes down and the placement of the side nacelle/gun things. Widen it up a little bit and stick 2 more nacelles on it and you have a reskinned JHDC. Maybe I just need to see the bottom of the ship, but that was the first thought that came to mind when I saw it.
Glad to see I'm not alone in that. And I agree, that particular ship is much more suited to be a Dominion ship than a Voth ship. It looks great, it's just not as "Voth-y" as the others.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Captain
# 28
10-28-2013, 02:30 AM
These ships really need to use some more active defenses. I'm blowing the Voth battleship up in a few seconds without a single buff. Granted you don't want to make them impossible, but there's no way a "defense focused" factions higher tier ship should go down that easily.
Previously Alendiak
Cryptic Studios Team
# 29
10-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Quote:
These ships really need to use some more active defenses. I'm blowing the Voth battleship up in a few seconds without a single buff. Granted you don't want to make them impossible, but there's no way a "defense focused" factions higher tier ship should go down that easily.
My goal is to put them in a place that's as defensive as possible for full mk XII geared players, while still allowing players in Mk X gear to have a chance of beating them. The performance delta between a fully decked-out endgame character and a fresh 50 is quite large.
Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
Career Officer
# 30
10-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
My goal is to put them in a place that's as defensive as possible for full mk XII geared players, while still allowing players in Mk X gear to have a chance of beating them. The performance delta between a fully decked-out endgame character and a fresh 50 is quite large.
True, but what challenge is there in this game for a fully decked out 50? Many people who are that level and have stuck around for a year or more have most of the great gear (especially if in a decent Fleet). It's not that hard to get the great gear within a month or two of playing as a new 50 (and it only takes a week or two of playing to hit 50).

A team with 2-3 mostly or fully decked out 50s and 2-3 new 50s should have a decent challenge defeating a massive defense-minded ship.

A full team of fully decked 50s should have a small/mild challenge. A full team of new 50s should have a MAJOR challenge.

Cryptic has done a great deal of work over the years with adding things to work toward and do for level 40+ players and all of that is still there. Having something to work toward won't discourage people it'll provide incentive to players unable to access/complete it to work more.

I've seen this in playing EVE online which is still massively popular even though it's way older than STO and a subscription game, and Neverwinter that has Gear Score blocked dungeons.